Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche CarreraCup Great Britain 09 Race 5 & 6 Donington

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 09 Race 5 Donington

Caine takes Carrera Cup round five at Donington [Sunday 17 May 2009]

Michael Caine scored a tremendous victory after a grandstand finish to round five of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Donington Park today (Sunday 17 May 2009). Caine beat Tim Harvey and James Sutton in a dramatic scramble to the line, with 14-hundredths of a second covering the three cars. In pro-am1, Robert Lawson raced to a fine win while Paul Hogarth claimed pro-am2 after a long battle with Bob Lyons.

There was disaster at the start for Tim Bridgman (Team Parker Racing) who lost his pole position when a driveshaft failed on the green flag lap.

That left Caine (Motorbase Performance) to head the pack into Redgate, with Sutton and Harvey, both from Red Line Racing, chasing hard. Initially, Tom Bradshaw (Team Parker Racing) went with the leading trio, but a moment under braking at Redgate dropped him a few seconds.

Up front, Caine led lap after lap with Sutton his ever-present shadow and Harvey just a few lengths back. "I got a little gap on James, but as soon as I pushed I started losing grip," said Caine.

Under braking for Redgate, Sutton would close right up, but Caine could rebuild his slender lead on the exit of the Old Hairpin. "It was stalemate for a long time as we were all looking after our tyres," said Harvey.

Meanwhile, Lawson (JHR) had battled clear of the rest of the pro-am1 pack to go clear in fifth overall, as Michael Leonard (Team Parker Racing), Tony Gilham (Red Line Racing) and Derek Pierce (JHR) battled with VIP racer Aaron Steele (Porsche Motorsport). In pro-am2, Hogarth (IN2Racing) and Lyons (Celtic Speed) were nose-to-tail for lap after lap.

The contest at the head of the race came down the final corner of the last lap and Sutton saw a chance as they braked for the chicane. He got partly alongside Caine and they touched, which sent Caine over the grass and slowed them both.

Out of the corner, Caine had to defend from Sutton, but Harvey had got a run on both of them and the cars were virtually three abreast as they crossed the line, with Harvey grabbing second from Sutton in a blanket finish. "I thought there was room and I was later on the brakes; I had to go for it," said Sutton. "It was a great finish and I managed to pick up a place," said Harvey after a thrilling climax to a superb race.

Bradshaw was a clear fourth from Lawson, who became the first driver to take a second pro-am1 victory this season. "I made things a bit difficult for myself in qualifying, so I'm very pleased with the result," said Lawson.

When Leonard spun at the chicane, Gilham moved through to second in pro-am1, but losing three places on the opening lap when Steele dived through cost Gilham any chance of taking the battle to Lawson. Never far behind Gilham to make it a good race for JHR was Pierce, who duly completed the pro-am1 podium.

In pro-am2, the fine battle between Hogarth and Lyons ran for lap after lap, with Hogarth fending off Lyons and only in the final stages did the gap start to grow. "Excellent," said Hogarth. "Bob pushed me hard but I managed to keep him at bay." "I just asked too much of my tyres, but he wasn't giving anything up easily," countered Lyons.

Attachments

• ccgb1_168.jpg
    ccgb1_168.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6,834
  • race5_154.jpg
    race5_154.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 6,834
Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 09 Race 6 Donington

Sutton takes Carrera Cup round six at Donington [Sunday 17 May 2009]

James Sutton made it four race winners from six races when he won round six of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Donington Park today (Sunday 17 May 2009). In pro-am1, Glynn Geddie mastered some tough conditions to take a fine win, while Paul Hogarth completed a pro-am2 double win.

Sutton (Red Line Racing) tracked early leader Tim Bridgman (Team Parker Racing) as rain made conditions really challenging. Finally, on lap 14 Sutton dived ahead with a tremendous move at the Old Hairpin as Bridgman struggled for grip.

Tim Harvey (Red Line Racing) completed the top three, while title contender Michael Caine (Motorbase Performance) slithered home sixth after gambling on running worn wet tyres rather than new wets.

The rain arrived just before the start and all the cars switched to wet tyres. However, the Motorbase team sent Caine out on worn wets, thinking it would be the right choice on a track that was still not too wet. But more rain soon came and Caine and his team mate Ollie Jackson were in trouble.

Up front, Bridgman led the field away and, with Sutton in tow, quickly went clear. But Bridgman knew he was in trouble as the team had not been able to re-set the tyre pressures on the grid. "It cost me dear, but it wasn't the team's fault," said Bridgman.

"By mid-race I was struggling." Meanwhile, Sutton was getting stronger and stronger and finally went through by slicing down the inside into the Old Hairpin. "The car was fantastic; if the car hadn't been that good I wouldn't have been able to pull off the move," said Sutton. Once ahead, Sutton went clear for an emphatic victory.

Tom Bradshaw (Team Parker Racing) ran a strong third over the first half of the race, having passed Harvey on the second lap as the reigning champion struggled with a major vibration. However, as the race developed, Bradshaw found his tyres overheating and Harvey was eventually able to move back ahead and take the final podium position.

Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing) ran a good race to take pro-am1 victory and fifth overall behind Bradshaw. "I like those conditions," said Geddie, who went well clear of the struggling Caine. "I've never driven with so little grip," admitted Caine. He was nearly caught later in the race by Robert Lawson (JHR) who completed a good weekend with second in pro-am1 from Michael Leonard (Team Parker Racing).

However, Leonard had been running behind Caine until a trip over the grass at Starkey's Bridge removed the front splitter from his car and left him struggling. Paul Hogarth (IN2Racing) wrapped up a great weekend with another pro-am2 victory, this time going well clear of Bob Lyons (Celtic Speed).

Attachments

• ccgb1_145.jpg
    ccgb1_145.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6,828
  • race6_551.jpg
    race6_551.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 6,828

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member