Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

intermitently noisy 1977, 2.7 engine.

porter 750

I have just put the above engine in my 1969 911T (conected to a 915 gearbox with a new flywheel and clutch)The engine sounds brilliant, BUT, on reving the engine above 3K and then releasing the throttle bar, I occasionally get a loud rattle which sounds like a nut or heavy washer being picked up by a cam chain and being flung against the interior wall of the motor and you can hear the "nut"running down again. The noise does not occur each time I rev the engine, (only about 1 in 5 tweaks of the throttle bar) The noise only occurs around 2K. I have taken off both inlet and exhaust covers,both timing chain covers and inspected the interior with a bore scope,including the oil return tubes underneath.I turned the engine over on the starter motor, while a mate checked the chain and spring loaded tensioners, they all appear to be good. I have not found nuts bolts washers or loose bits/swarf anywhere.There is no apparent damage or shiny marks inside. Is there a history of vibration periods or loose baffles, or tinware making this noise. Or have I really got to take the motor out again? I have tried to give as much relevant information as I can. Any help given/thought on this would be most appreciated.
This is now solved, loose baffles in V old silencer. :wink: :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back