Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Urgent baby seat and pushchair help needed

baxster

Monza
Im in the throws of ordering a 997 c4s. My wife is 7 months pregnant. I have tried to research as much as I can at it looks like the following are my options.
Car seat, Must be in the back and forward facing;
porsche, suitable from 9 months to 4 years
Mamas and papas protech.
I have seen a video of a maxi cosi cabrio being fitted in the back but rear facing and this would be ideal if it could be fitted front facing as we have ordered this already and if i am correct about the stroller then it would be ideal.
Stroller/pram
There seem to be a few that fit in a c2s boot but I only seen one report of a quinny zapp fitting in a c4s boot, a man posted that he has fitted one in the boot of c4s cab that has no cd changer which I wont be ordering anyway. If this is the case then it would be great as the maxi cosi cabrio jobby fits onto the quinny zapp.
Does anyone have any definitive info that is c4 specific or any links?
Many thanks.

baxster said:
Im in the throws of ordering a 997 c4s. My wife is 7 months pregnant. I have tried to research as much as I can at it looks like the following are my options.
Car seat, Must be in the back and forward facing;
porsche, suitable from 9 months to 4 years
Mamas and papas protech.
I have seen a video of a maxi cosi cabrio being fitted in the back but rear facing and this would be ideal if it could be fitted front facing as we have ordered this already and if i am correct about the stroller then it would be ideal.
Stroller/pram
There seem to be a few that fit in a c2s boot but I only seen one report of a quinny zapp fitting in a c4s boot, a man posted that he has fitted one in the boot of c4s cab that has no cd changer which I wont be ordering anyway. If this is the case then it would be great as the maxi cosi cabrio jobby fits onto the quinny zapp.
Does anyone have any definitive info that is c4 specific or any links?
Many thanks.

We seem to be leading parrallel lives! Ihave a 1 year old son and faced both these issues with my C4S at the end of last year.

Seat - The mamas an papas pro tech is the perfect seat for either the front or back of the car. It's tight in the back but it does fit well, especially if you take out the velcro'd-on leather seat base. The front seat is an option if you go for the dealer fit passenger airbag deactivation. I had it done (it's about 500 quid) and it just gives another option.

You CANNOT and SHOULD NOT fit the maxi-cosi cabrio facing forward, it should always be fitted rear facing. I vaguely remember trying to fit it in the back and either it didn't fit at all or the passenger seat had to be so far forward that I just gave up. It does fit in the front (with the airbag off) but the issue I had with it was the passenger seat in the car had to be slid right back to make the seat belt long enough to go round the thing, making the passenger side rear seat unuseable in the process. If you want to take the baby in the 911 while they are in the maxi cosi, I think your only real option is in the front meaning you will need the airbag switch.

Quinny Zap - I could have confirmed for you if it would fit but we sold it and the maxi-cosy seat a few months ago and then discovered my wife was pregnant again. Grrrrrrr. (not the pregnancy, just the fact we sold the quinny!). I never tried to fit it into my boot but my feeling is that it will be very tight, if it fits at all. Having folded the the thing a hundred times and chucked it in the back of the X5, I have a feeling it's too long to fit in the C4S boot. I don't have the CD changer either and I think some friends have a quinny, so if I can get their buggy and my car together, I'll try it for you.

So is the mamas and papas protech forward facing in the rear? I assume I cannot use it untill he is atleast 9 months? Im new to all this so bear with me.
I think the wheels on the zapp come off too. You can also fit the maxi cosi onto the zapp. If the zapp fits is it a viable option to put him in a front facing rear mounted seat and put the maxi cosi in the seat next to him but not attached (obviously making sure he doesnt get hit by it).
I suppose I could get the zapp on the seat next to him if it does not fit in the boot?

baxster said:
So is the mamas and papas protech forward facing in the rear? I assume I cannot use it untill he is atleast 9 months? Im new to all this so bear with me.
I suppose I could get the zapp on the seat next to him if it does not fit in the boot?

Yes that's right. Protech=forward facing always, Maxi-cosi = rearward facing always. Our son graduated from the maxi cosi to the protech at around 9 months.

If you need to take the wheels off to get it in the boot, that will be fiddly and a bit of a pain IMHO. Best option if only two of you are travelling would be zap folded in the back on top of the folded rear seats (secured somehow) and junior in the front with the air bag deactivated. Or just use another car until he's 9 months :sad:

Porsche aside, up to 9 months they need to be rear facing no matter which manufacturer or car. From 9 months-ish onwards they go into front facing.

I have both the Porsche seat and a Protech. Protech doesn work in the back but sits a lot higher. Whatever you do, remove the velcro bottom part of the seat to save it from horrible indents.

The Porsche seat does work better as its designed for the car but costs a fortune. I only have one as the dealer threw one into the car (i bought from new).

Caution - you will struggle to find prams and strollers to fit in the boot. I am pretty sure that the C4S has a smaller boot than the C2S and you cannot find a pram to fit any age child. I seem to remember that even the Porsche pram doesn't fit a 4wd boot. I might be wrong but check this out.

We have a Quinny Zap stroller which fits perfectly into the C2S but again strollers are for sort of 9 months +.

We essentially waited 9 months before we took Jack out in the Porsche as the rear facing seats available for the front (with airbag deactivation) or the rear left little space for my wife.

Jamie said:
We have a Quinny Zap stroller which fits perfectly into the C2S but again strollers are for sort of 9 months +.

We essentially waited 9 months before we took Jack out in the Porsche as the rear facing seats available for the front (with airbag deactivation) or the rear left little space for my wife.

The good thing about the quinny zap is that the maxi-cosi cabrio clips on to that so it doubles up as a car seat/push chair for the first 9 months but it's not recommended for children to spend too long in the seat at one go.

Your experience is exactly the same as mine - the rear facing seats will fit but always compromise space for anyone else except the driver to the extent that you tend not to bother. Forward facing seats take up a lot less room.

Jamie, could I ask after 9 months you say Jack went into the Porsche front facing seat put in the rear, with this set up is your wife totally comfortable in the front? My wife is 5ft 31/2" and I just want to make sure she has enough room before I spend our hard earned money on a white elephant.
We have an 5 door car too but I would like to be able to take the 911 to our parents or walks in the woods or drives into Derbyshire etc so it wont get used as a euro familly cruiser but my wifes and our babys comfort is most important. I can deal with the 0 - 9 months scenario its really the 9 months onward that I am concerned about.
If any one has any pictures or links to pictures showing the room in the front with the seat set up in the back it would be good.
Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. With the front facing seat in the rear there is no compromise to the front passenger at all. I am often a passenger in that seat with the boy in the back. He is now 2 and a 1/2 years old. I am 5 foot 9 and the wife is a similar size to your wife.

And, I agree with the other comment about using the Quinny Zap frame to hold a Maxi Cosi. For the first 9 months, the baby shouldn't be in a car seat for too long as they should lay flat whenever possible therefore a 2 hour drive in the car seat is enough in one go let alone then carrying them around for the rest of the day in it. You need a proper lay flat pram in my opinion.

baxster said:
Jamie, could I ask after 9 months you say Jack went into the Porsche front facing seat put in the rear, with this set up is your wife totally comfortable in the front? My wife is 5ft 31/2" and I just want to make sure she has enough room before I spend our hard earned money on a white elephant. s.

My wife is 5ft 7" and with our forward facing mamas and papas protech in the back, she can be quite comfortable in the front passenger seat. It's not all the way back by any means but she's not jammed up against the glove box either!

Thanks for that, its good to know. We are going to look at ordering one around september/october with delivery early december. this means our baby will be 4.5 mths so it will only be another 4.5 months untill he can go into forward facing seat and a qinny zapp. In between time we will get a better idea of all the gear that is needed when we go out and be in a better position to make sure a 911 suits. I also have my name down on the forthcomming RS5 so if the 911 is a no go we can go for the Audi.

Remember to see if the 4s has a smaller boot. 5mm smaller than the C2S and a Zap won't fit in.

Yes will do :thumbs:
The zapp dimmensions are borderline for the 4s boot but the wheels click off. An american with a 4s cab says it fits but that is the only confirmed report. I think my neighbour has one so Im going to see if I can borrow it and walk into my local OPC and see if it fits. I will at the same time be telling the sales staff that they are useless as I spent 15 mins over a week ago measuring a 4s so i could plot out where the mirrors would be in my garage and not one person approached me.
Thanks Jamie and goodethenet for your comments and advice.

Does anyone know if the Recaro Young sport will fit a 997 as this should be good from 9month to 12 years. Also you can pick them up for about £135 new.

under 9 mos

Can someone pls tell me the options for an infant (under 9mos) in a 997 C2? Rear seats would be preferable.

Re: under 9 mos

prlondon said:
Can someone pls tell me the options for an infant (under 9mos) in a 997 C2? Rear seats would be preferable.

Infant means front seat and airbag de-activated... Have a look at the various online shopts through the links for the website that will give you a good idea.
For older kids i.e 1year onwards a number of front facing seats can go into the back.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back