Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo v 996 Turbo S

Bieldside

Nurburgring
Just missed a low mileage 996 Turbo S Cabriolet to add to my 9934S

Having missed it my mind has turned to a 997 Turbo Cabriolet

Any guidance welcomed - do I want to spend an extra £40,000 to get the newer, better car?

Thoughts welcomed

996 Turbo S probably is 90% of the 997 Turbo

but then again you can say that of the 996 GT3 v 997 GT3

Handling wise you would only notice the difference at the limits of the car and since it's a cabriolet, I'm assuming you won't be tracking it. So the question you need to ask is do you want to spend an extra £40,000 to get a car that 'looks' newer and do you mind the steeper depreciation that goes with a newer car?

Turbo S

Yes thats the one I missed - and made me start thinking
Yes £40,000 is a lot of cash + I am Scottish!

Scottish, say no more :floor:

Why bother with the Turbo 'S' and why not go for standard Turbo instead? Would have thought they will be easier to source

Quite a few 996tt for sale our neck of the woods.
a lot of car for the money. better value buying at current time.
997 looks great but i'd be tempted to go for the 996.

Sean.

Not so many Turbo cabs though, 996 or 997.

It's a big jump to justify and price driven up by rarity.

Why not go for a Coupe for much better value for money + more choice?

those turbo cabs just look wrong to me, all sort of compromised in all sorts of ways, far from elegant, just so you can put the roof down?

different thread I know but I just don't get the cab thing on a car that was conceived as a coupe. Doesn't stop them selling tho'......

Personally I think the 996 Turbo S is now a hell of a car for the money compared to the 997 Turbo. However if you must have a Cab your struggle to find one will go up. Why not have a Coupe with a sunroof?
Remember with the Turbo S you also get Ceramic Brakes for Standard if they rock your world 8)
Before I decided the replacement car for my 996 C2 was a GT3, I was convinced that the 996 Turbo S was the best option.
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Turbo

My problem is that I have a 9934S that I will never sell + a 987 Boxster S

I do like the option of my other car being a cabriolet. Thats after much thought, even going to Silverstone to try the GT3 and GT2 at the Porsce Driving Experience to see what I thought. So my thoughts are still a Turbo S Cab or a 997 Turbo Cab but the price difference is huge and not really justifiable

Turbo S Cab - as rare as rocking horse ***** me thinks! Might look at a really well kept standard Turbo Cab as a second choice if the months roll on

Part of the fun is looking!

Senoj said:
those turbo cabs just look wrong to me, all sort of compromised in all sorts of ways, far from elegant, just so you can put the roof down?

different thread I know but I just don't get the cab thing on a car that was conceived as a coupe. Doesn't stop them selling tho'......

I concur, I know if i wanted a convertible id get a BMW 335 convertible, the Porsche looks the way it does for a reason, its dedicated to be a road car every angle on the car represents no compromise. It looks a bit funny without the top on. However as mentioned doesnt stop them from selling so my opinion must suck! : :mrgreen:

Turbo

Ive got a real Porsche . A 9934S!

BMW 335 Convertible v a 996 or 997 Turbo Cabriolet

Surely not

The only way I would purchase a drop head Porsche is if it was fitted with a folding tin top. I hate rag tops :hand: . Reduced headroom caused by added insulation, added wind noise, added maintenace and cleaning of fabric, vandalism risks etc etc
Regards Big Bob :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back