Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking for a boxster and some advice..

everitt1984

Hi there

First post here, great site..

As the title suggestions I'm looking for a boxster but have a small dilema (allbeit a good one) I dont know which one to get!

Im looking at the 2.7 engine rather than the boxster s mainly due to the slightly higher Insurance and for what ill use it for and from what ive read the 2.7 is more than capable.

I have a max budget of 13k, which on autotrader will get me a 2003/04 with low to average miles. The only downside, and where the problem lies, is if I go to my max budget I'm going to be a bit tight on cash incase of any problems. I should be ok for servicing costs etc but I'm worried if say I had a problem with a clutch... The car is going to have to sit for a few months while I save the necessary cash.

Solution would be to go mid-budget and have cash ready to throw at her at all times... This would mean getting say a 2000 plate or 2001 for around the 10k mark.

Truth be told its mainly going to be used as a weekend car and for when its sunny for the missus to pose in a bit during the week, considering just getting one of the very early models as they are dirt cheap! But how good is the 2.5 engine?

Obviously Id prefer the later models, esp the facelift versions, but are there many differences in driving and realiability or are the changes mainly cosmetic?

Going to view an 03 plate today, 46k on the clock for £12,990. Seems a bit steep that so hope to get him down a bit, It'll be the first we've actually test driven so cannt wait!

Sorry for the long read! Thanks in advance :thumbs:

Try and stretch to an S if you can afford it, as it has a more reliable engine than the 2.7 (liners are thicker).

2.7 and 2.5 have same thickness liners, so displacement difference is achieved by a longer stroker.

2.7 has had some minor engine mods and pulls better than the 2.5.

3.2 has better low end pull on the revs, but the 2.7 is still a quick car (just needs to be rev'd a bit).

I owned a 2.7 and really enjoyed and had no problems with it whatsoever.

The facelift model (came in around 03) looks slightly better, as it has clear lights, which makes it look a bit more modern, but are essentially the same car.

The main thing I'd look for on the Boxster is the rear screen, as the plastic is prone to cracking, unless it is pushed in the middle on roof retraction to ensure that plastic window closes correctly. Don't worry if the rear plastic window is in good condition, but "cloudy", as this is easily cleaned with a special rear plastic window cleaner.

Other than that, the clutch will probably need doing every 50k or so, and I'd get an inspection on it, because things like brakes, tyres etc are where the majority of the cost goes.

Hi

Thanks for the reply..

Yeah I much prefer the look of the facelift, I think the clear lens on the lights are more subtle than the orange.

The one I'm viewing today has FSH and reciepts for new brakes 6k ago so hopefully they should be ok, Ill look out for uneven wear etc on tyres. (Infact this is the link http://www.topgear.com/uk/porsche/b...e=3&MinPrice=0&MaxPrice=13000&PostCode=ln24fx) Trouble is milage is close to 50k so that could mean impending new clutch... :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back