Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First Trip to OPC ! need tips ?

j8fbr

I am so busy at the moment I havn't had a chance to check the forum :wack: :wack: but want to be as clued up as possible regarding my first trip to OPC since I bought the car.

Its coming to nearly 1 year since I bought my car and its booked into Guildford OPC tomorrow for the warranty check.

I am quite happy to hang out in Guildford while its done and was wondering if anyone could help with the following questions:

1, Shall I mention I have done 2 trackdays & 1 Airfield or will this fuel the fire ? The tyres look like they will need replacing shortlyand they have been used on track

2, If anything is found to be not up to scratch will it have to be done straight away and its covered by current warranty apart from pads, tyres, ?

3, I thought a service was due but the girl on the phone says as I had a short service last year when I bought the car its not due another service until next year ? :?: :?:

4, I have been quoted for tyres by another company and they come out nearly £350 cheaper or is it wiser just to get them to do it as they will look after my wheels :D :D

5, Can I watch them do it or do I have to go to Mothercare with the mrs :sad: :sad:

any other advice would be great.

I deal with loads of dealers/garages with my company cars and will always try and save a few quid where I can but never had to bother with this sort of warranty for a car like a Porsche, hence the questions.

José

Hi mate,

The guys in Guildford are good from my experience.

1) No, can't see any need.
2) Yes, leave the car with them to get it done if its covered under the initial warranty. Any other items like consumables might be worth checking for cheaper prices elsewhere as long as they use Porsche parts.
3) Service intervals are 20,000 miles or 2 years. Check the log book to ensure they stamped a service last year.
4) If they are that much cheaper like for like, you can't ignore it! In answer to your question though you would need to post up about the quality of the specific outfit.
5) Ask them!

1) You do not have to mention anything about the driving you have been doing as this is not relevant
2) Depending what it is but for tyres (especially this), breaks, disks etc it might be worth looking at the before hand. Saying that you might be able to get a good deal fo tyres from the OPC if you push them in the current climate. Everything else should be covered by the existing warranty if is still valid
3) What is the log book is saying ? If the car had a minor service then it only needs one every 2 years or 20K miles
4) See my point 2. Push the OPC on the tyre price... If you found them much cheaper (£350 or so) and is for like to like and a decent place then go for it....
5) Watch what ??? them checking the car ??? Depending if they have a viewing area... H&S rules doesnt allow you anywhere near the workshop :) so it might be mothercare with the mrs... :D

My thoughts:
Dont talk about your usage.
Leave the car with them.
Haggle on tyre prices - they want you to come back and use them again.
If there is anything about the bill or parts they need to fit or recommend to fit, then is the time to say "Show Me". In these circumstances they will take you into the WS and demonstrate the justification etc.
Big Bob :bye:

Might be a bit late for this, but also make sure you get the free bodywork inspection, to keep the 10 year body warranty intact.

1. Ddo not mention any use of the car on track or similar, they will try and squirm out of any warranty claims in the future should you give them any chance to do so. They will have no idea that the cars been on track so defo keep that quiet.

Croydon said:
1. Ddo not mention any use of the car on track or similar, they will try and squirm out of any warranty claims in the future should you give them any chance to do so. They will have no idea that the cars been on track so defo keep that quiet.

Ditto

2)No, for any warranty work you can leave it with them or book it back in another time, unless it's something significant to smooth running...

3)What about getting the oil changed anyway? If you've been doing some heavy foot work maybe a yearly change is good practice?

4)Get the tyres done elsewhere, £350 is still £350... You can always stand over them for fear of wheel damage.

5)I've been let into the WS but only to inspect work and to be shown worn parts.

In these times you can always haggle over costs, and make sure you mention you want a phone call update on anything unshedualed that needs attention.

Stuart said:
Croydon said:

Ditto

2)No, for any warranty work you can leave it with them or book it back in another time, unless it's something significant to smooth running...

3)What about getting the oil changed anyway? If you've been doing some heavy foot work maybe a yearly change is good practice?

4)Get the tyres done elsewhere, £350 is still £350... You can always stand over them for fear of wheel damage.

5)I've been let into the WS but only to inspect work and to be shown worn parts.

In these times you can always haggle over costs, and make sure you mention you want a phone call update on anything unshedualed that needs attention.

+1

just a quick 5 minutes to update on you on my trip on Wed !

I left the car with them for 2 hours they done the warranty check, cleaned it were very good/polite etc etc !

I paid £0 YES £0 ! they found nothing wrong with the car and didn't try and sell me tyres either as they said I still had enough tread for a few more thousand miles (trackdays :floor: :floor: )

I bought my car this time last year and its a June 2006 ! so doesn't need the warranty check until June ! :wack: :wack:

I should of picked up on this, they sent me the letter by mistake ! and they can't sell the warranty too early ! I was actually going to buy the 2 year Warranty so saved myself a couple of months Porsche money ( hidden from Mrs :lol: :lol:)

anyway like Jamie my first experience of OPC Guildford was very good and they were very geuine but then again I didn't really get anything done !

something I did notice what a bland/shortage of standout cars they had ! i was hoping to drool over a few turbos or GT3's and there was only loads of caymans and what looked like demonstrators ! I did notice there was loads that were sold and under wraps awaiting delivery !

theogeor said:
5) Watch what ??? them checking the car ??? Depending if they have a viewing area... H&S rules doesnt allow you anywhere near the workshop :) so it might be mothercare with the mrs... :D

Not true, last month I took the Pig to OPC West London, they let me go under the car and look at the bottom when on the lifts and all sorts in the workshop

Kind Regards
Edward

2nd Warranty Check in 2 months !

As mentioned before, last time I took the car in for its warranty renewal at Guildford OPC they did the check then didnt realise it wasn't due until the car was 3 years old and even though they found nothing wrong they couldn't backdate the warranty 2 months therfore its going back now.

I have hardly driven the car & it will be interesting to see how it does this time.

Has anyone renewed the Warranty for 2 years :?: :?: for a small discount.

If I ever sell the car :eek: :eek: is the Warranty taken into consideration in the price :?: :?:

first MOT is also due so will get that done also.

Tyres were fine in April ( after 2 trackdays & 1 airfield :) although they did say they looked like I had done a trackday :oops:

dropping the car off at 9.30am so I wonder what courtesy car I will get :?:

VW Golf :floor: :floor:

I'm very happy with the Service I've always had at OPCs. I can now through my son (Cayman) recommend Exeter. My personal treatment at both Sutton Coldfield and Bournemouth, has been exemplorary.
Maybe its just my personality and size :lol:
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Dropped the car off at 9.30am and picked up a brand new Silver Cayman :D jumped straight on the A3 (long way home ) & headed back to Dorking.

by the time I came off at Cobham I was bored :sleepy: :sleepy:

It had the PDK gearbox and to me I just wanted to reach for the stick :D :D

Don't get me wrong it was a nice car and if it had a stick I might of enjoyed it more.

I couldn't believe how similar the Cayman (& Boxster ) is to the 911 inside, it even had better seats than mine :sad: hard back, sports.

Anyway getting back to my car

got a call at 1.30pm to say my car would be ready for 2.30pm :puh:

Picked the car up and it passed everything with flying colours, MOT, Warranty check etc etc I was waiting for atleast the £15 oil etc.

They said the car was awesome and that I had enough tyre tread for my upcoming trackdays :oops: :oops:

Big :thumbs: :thumbs: for Guildford OPC and the guys there, helpful as ever and Fit :eek: :eek: ladies on reception.

ps

anyone want a GT2, there's one there for £84k

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back