Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911 for me?

TurboProf

Hi everyone!
I'm new to the forum, this is my first thread/post. I would like to buy a 911, I'm not sure whether to go for a 996 turbo or a 997 Carrera of some description. However, I am quite alarmed by the reports I have read of severe engine failure on type 997 engines. Is this a common fault? Is it due to 1st time owners with no mechanical sympathy revving the engine from cold or is it due to a more fundamental problem with the design/manufacture? Or should i bankrupt myself and get a new car is the knowledge I can look after it? Any advice would be most welcome from the Porschephiles present!

Hello!

There are several reports of issues on this forum but over 100,000 997's on the road with plenty of happy motorists.

My advice would be:

Buy the best car you can afford, newer, lower mileage and from a trusted source. If you buy from OPC it will be to OPC standards with FPSH and a one year warranty. Thereafter you can keep the car in warranty and be safe in the knowledge that should anything occur you are covered. A decent Indy should either include a 12 month warranty or offer to sell you one. After 90 days of ownership in any case you are elligible to apply for a proper Porsche warranty but it's a bit like Denplan, you need a clean bill of health to go into the scheme so any faults would need to be put right before they will sell the warranty to you.

I have owned my C2S for two years from new. It has just had its first service + 2 rear tyres (after 14,000 miles - the fronts still have 4mm) and another year warranty. Total cost £2,500.00. That is pretty much all the car has cost me in the last two years and fingers crossed for the next 12 months also. Every mile has given me a smile - fantastac car. In fact it is the only car that I have never bored of even after 2 years. Even the times when I have flirted with selling it due to economic reasons I keep talking myself out of it!

Hi and welcome...

I'm an ex-911 owner now, but when I was looking a few weeks back I only looked at GT3s and 996 Turbos as I can't afford to take the risk of an engine going pop and I couldn't afford to buy a car that was eligible for the OPC warranty.

However, if I could have spent a bit more I would probably have gone for a 997 C4S - from an OPC (or Mark Pierce at Stirlings) and budgeted the £1350 per annum to maintain the proper Porsche warranty. You can then drive worry-free and enjoy one of the finest driving experiences available for less than £100,000 - every day! :thumbs:

997 carrera 3 months ago and I would say that I enjoy it more and more every time I drive it.
Its not only a great sports car but also a good all rounder that enables me to take the family (in style!! ) anywhere I want.
But as people said you need to be prepared to spend money and fixed it if need to. I had to spend ~£200 to fixed a snapped crack sensor cable (all of it labour) only 2 weeks after I got the car and it is a 2 year old wth 20K on the clock and that did not make me have any second thoughts.

Theo

ps: Big Bob it looks like you will not be a jedi for too long :hand:

Hi Theo
You are not suggesting that I blog for the aske of it do you :floor:
Big Bob :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back