Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are the Gen 2 997 engines more reliable than the Gen 1's?

toffeeman

Monza
I gather that the Gen 2 997 engine has been out since July 2008 and I know its not a huge amount of time but do we know if the infamous RMS issue is relevant on this engine?
I read an article with the engine designer who is convinced the RMS issue will not feature on this engine with it being vastly redesigned.

Does anybody know if there have been any reports of the RMS problem with this engine?

Craig.

I think is to early to make a judgment. Also I have heard a rumor that Porsche did some changes on the RMS issue from late 2006 (if it was significant who knows) onwards but time will tell

Hi,

I also read that the RMS was significantly changed on the facelift.

I can't remember if this included relocating the RMS to the other side of the engine or not (the main reason for failure).

Agree, I think it's too early to tell and certainly remains to be seen whether the new mods have the engine more unreliable in other ways.

I haven't read about any RMS issues on the 997.2, but I also haven't from late 997.1 cars, due to their age.

Obviously it is far too early to tell, though the chief designer has pretty much staked his reputation on it (quoted in public as saying it wouldn't be a problem). More importantly though, the new motor no longer has the intermediate shaft, thus the very rare but potentially fatal (for the engine) IMS failure certainly cannot happen with it.

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm trying to catch up:

What does the RMS issue mean??

What is the IMS failure?

Thanks

RMS = Rear Main Seal. Not really sure what it is but I think the seal fails and you get an oil leak onto the gearbox??? I had mine replaced at 14,000 miles under warranty.

I thought there wasn't a rear main seal at all on a Gen2 so nothing to fail?

I think it really is too early to tell as even on the Gen1 it seems to be the earlier (and therefore older) cars.

The RMS is still there Jamie - whether it's problematic or not will be determined in time for sure. The intermediate shaft, as Disco says, is now absent owing to the redesign of the engine.

It's still surprising that after 10+ years of this RMS failure, they've not yet managed to cure it of its fault.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
It's still surprising that after 10+ years of this RMS failure, they've not yet managed to cure it of its fault.

~ Maxie

Or they did and said nothing about it.... I do not recall seeing an RMS failure on 2005/6 onwards model but I might be wrong.

theogeor said:
Or they did and said nothing about it....

Or did they indeed?

Why kill the Golden Goose? - RMS, the gift that keeps giving!

I am sure BP/Exxon/Shell etc all have little cars they drive round their research and development departments that run on water, but they will never see the light of day ... Mwhahaha!

theogeor said:
Maxie said:

~ Maxie

I just had mine replaced on an 07 not sure if that constitutes a failure though. It was leaking apparently

Or they did and said nothing about it.... I do not recall seeing an RMS failure on 2005/6 onwards model but I might be wrong.

Jamie said:
I just had mine replaced on an 07 not sure if that constitutes a failure though. It was leaking apparently

I think any loss of sealing is technically a failure for a "seal", although I suppose it probably has to drop its guts all over your garage floor to constiture a complete failure.*

* and/or bits of engine if in use at the time.

The different engine construction architecture is supposed to improve the risk of RMS issues. BUT its very early days to know!
Regards Big Bob :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back