Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is this Boxster engine failure?

silverboxster

I have owned my Boxster for less than a year. The car has roughly 30000 miles on it

Oil and genuine filter change every 3000 miles with Mobil 0-40

Car is completely stock, always warmed up before rev over 4k rpm, never rev past redline and cooled proprely.

Symptoms of my 2003 2.7 Boxster Tip (In chronological order)

1. Rough idle, higher than normal engine rev at idle
2. Huge amount of Continuous, Steamy White smoke from exhaust while driving (like smoke grenade)
2. No overheat after limping 6 miles home, coolant stayed around 82-3 C, No CELs
3. Loss of 0.5 L engine oil
4. No engine oil or coolant on the garage floor
5. Loss of power with some occasional ticking sound. Thanks

I sincerely hope that it is AOS. I did a search on AOS last night and spent an hour or so reading it.

My car did not throw a single CEL light. And it does not only smoke during start up. Instead, it is smoking almost most of the time except when the car was on the highway doing over 60mph. As soon as the car had to be slowed down at a junction, the smoke became awfully large and alarming.

To be honest, engine oil was filled up a touch too much. Now, the electronic oil measurement on the dash is showing 1 box less than full.

Any ideas guys? I plan to open up the engine the cover tonight when I get home and see if the throttle bodies and the hoses involved are full of oil.

One more thing, due to the local temp here can reach as high as 35deg, I poured in 6 quarts of Mobil 1 0-40 and 4 quarts of 15-50. Will this be the problem?

Please help to diagnose the potential problem as it doesnt look like a AOS.

Could be too much oil getting blown out - but I would get an expert to look at it and not drive it anywhere meanwhile.

Where are you based??

LOJO

Hi Lojo,

I am an expat from Canterbury, Kent and I am based in Hong Kong.

As soon as I got home today, I checked and made sure there were no engine oil droplets in the coolant before I opened the engine cover and unpluged the Y-shaped hose connecting between the AOS and the tubing to the throttle body only to find some drops of oil present in the AOS Y-shaped hose. So, I used a wooden ***** to plug the hole on the throttle body side and placed a rag on the opened AOS end. Immediately, the car idled smoothly without increased idling rev. The engine now revs with power and no longer consume any engine oil. I drove around the carpark at slow speed for about 15 mins to allow all the oil that was sucked into the engine to be burnt off along with the white smoke. After about 20 mins, the engine reached normal operating temperature and all the smoke was completely gone.

Am I right in thinking that all I have is an AOS problem and not a cracked head or anything serious? How do I make sure the car is not suffering from an IMS or any serious engine problems that need rebuilding?

Hi silverboxster.
Can you 1st confirm your definition of AOS :?: , do you mean the Air Flow Sensor?
If you do the entry point of any heavy oil mist will be after this sensor and that is why you have not picked up a CEL light. Had the oil mist passed over the sensor, the oil would have changed the resistance of the hot cross wires and set up an Orange Light.
You will be aware for emission purposes that all crankcase vapours etc are fed back to the intake (after the Air Flow Sensor) to be burnt of as part of the combustion process. There is a filter in the path from the engine crancase to the intake. It may be worth locating this removing it and washing it out or replacing it.
I gather that there is no oil in the water, and there is no water in the oil.
While you have now lost oil, I assume as it is not mentioned, that you have not lost water :?:
It sounds as though you did overfill the engine with oil. This would certainly have increased the level of oil mist in the crankcase as the high level would be whipped by the rotating/oscillating parts. This added mist would then be drawn through the crankcase breather (which needs to be cleaned or replaced I would suggest) and ito the intake of the system.
This would then get burnt off in combustion. However I would have expected it to show more of a blue smoke than white.
By your use of the ****** stick, you have sucked out the balance of the oil in the breather and you are now back in control I believe.
As you dont over rev and having driven in Hong Kong you dont really get the chance, I dont think from what you have said that you have done any serious damage to the engine that will require a rebuild etc.
You might want to consider perhaps a spark plug change to rule out any added contamination from the oil mist.
So I think you must always remember in future to watch oil filling.
I dont see your actions to create a "hot ambient temperature" multi grade oil by mixing the 2 grades should be a problem. However what grade does your OPC in Hong Kong recommend for use in the Hong Kong environment of heat and a lot od relative slow speed driving :?:
Best Regards Big Bob :bye:

Good post BB. :worship:

I am so sorry for not mentioning what AOS was in the first place. AOS stands for Air Oil Separator. From what I can see, the AOS hose connects to the inlet manifold and that's why when the AOS fails, the engine oil gets sucked into the engine. Luckily, the AOS hose is placed after the MAF and throttle body (thank god for this). For details, I found this link. http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/airoilseparatorreplacement

For maintenance, I have changed the spark plugs to NGK Iridium as soon as I acquired the car hoping to tune up the car from day 1. And, I replace engine oil every 3000-4000 miles. To my surprise, the local OPC recommends the same viscosity Mobil 1 0-40 as the UK viscosity which I think does not offer enough protection for the extremely humid and hot weather here in HK especially when we can only do slow short trips of 3-5 miles 90% of the time. Before mixing the two viscosities, I made sure the two oils can be mixed by reading online at their international website.

On the other hand, your assumption is spot on, I didn't lose any coolant and it didn't have any engine oil in it. With the AOS hose disconnected, the car now drives normally and nothing sounds strange. Coolant temp is spot on at the low 80 deg range even in city driving. Yet, an expert in P cars told me that I might have a cracked head as four out of five of his customers who had similar symptoms as what I described in my first post had cracked heads and the other customer (1 of 5) had a blown exhaust gasket. Do you agree with his assumption? Will a cracked head or blown exhaust gasket cause excessive engine oil to pass through the AOS?

The funny is, serious smoke never emerged until I have driven the car for around 1000 miles with the overfill of oil. As for the colour of the smoke, I really have no experience. My untrained eyes told me it was white. How blue can the smoke get before I can say it is blue and not white?

Again, your assumption is right about me being back in control and I am so glad about it. At least I have driven to a local independent garage to replace the current AOS unto a new one. It will be replaced later today. Since excessive oil was allowed to pass through the AOS. Could there be another problem behind the faulty AOS unit? Have I overlooked any other problems?

Thanks BB for your insightful post.

Sorry silverboxster, but being an old git :eek:ld: I dont use Acronyms or Initials to describe bits on a car. But I was infact describing the AOS system.
I can imagine a scenario however where a cracked head could feed oil back into the crank case and give the AOS work to do. I think a gasket failure is less likely to cause this, as most gasket failures are from combustion pressures that either go into the water jacket or from one cylinder to another.
I'll give it another coat of thinking about and get back to you.
Best Regards Big Bob

Hi BB,

Dont worry about it mate. You certainly sound like a nice guy and don't sound old to me. In fact, you helped me loads and I am grateful for your contribution.

As of today, I have changed to a new AOS unit. After driving for about 30 miles on various types of speeds and roads, the smoke has completely gone away. Furthermore, the car drives perfectly with no strange noise, loss of oil, power, rough idle and etc. I'd say it feels just like new. But, to be honest, I'm still haunted by the thick smoke incident only a couple of days ago. Is there a way that I can make sure my car has only got a faulty AOS unit and not a cracked head problem?

best regards,

Silverbox (Boris)

Hi Boris
Having just had a couple of large Cobras (beer) and a good curry at my local Indian Rstaurant, I've had time to reflect.
If the car is now running OK, and you are not losing oil by burning it off now, and you are not losing water, this is encouraging in supporting, it was an AOS problem from oil over fill.
However I think you should do, if you have the kit, or get it done, and run a 6 cylinder compression test, and study the results.
If there is any deterioration on one or adjacent cylinders in the same bank this could be a pointer.
There have been cases where cylinder heads have cracked between the inlet and exhaust valves on the same cylinder, which allows a potential for the described symptoms.
However a Compression Test would help to identify a loss of compression through such a crack in any particular cylinder.
A crack into the water jacket would have you losing water. A crack into an oil gallery would have very catastrophic results by now.
For creating your own multigrade, that makes sense, as you are right you are starting in HK with much higher ambients.
Having worked on mainland China in Nanchang and Chonqing for almost 8 years until 2002, I've experienced summer temperatures of 40+ deg C, and appreciate the "difference" from the European environment.

Hopefully this may move the solution and the problem to clearer definition (hopefully :puh: )

Hi BB,

Tell me about curry and beer. I used to visit my local curry house in Canterbury every Sun. Now, I just simply miss the good old days a lot. The road back home is miles better than those here. Roads here are just bumpy and restricted. One day, I will make a come back and own a porker on some proper roads. Until then, I have to get used to it.

I checked the water yesterday and it didn't lose any plus there was no oil in it. What a relief. Moreover, the car has regained its power and can rev up and down smoothly like before. I have kept the old AOS unit. Is there a way that I can check if it is faulty?

I will try to look around for a garage to carry out a compression test. But, having been in HK for 6 years since 2003, I noticed how garages dont like big repairs. that is probably because in HK, there arent many old bangers. Based on my limited observation, Chinese people dont keep their cars for more than 10 years and that is reflected by the cars here in HK. Most of them are spanking new and old bangers are almost non-existence. Due to this reason, friends have told me if it had been a blown engine, I wouldn't have been able to source any used Porsche engine locally. So, my only escape route or plan will be to order a used or new engine from overseas. Now, that is something I certainly dont want to happen as it will cost me very dearly. For this reason, I am very disappointed to be parting with the very best car I have ever owned in my life so far. It drives like no others, gives me the sort of feedback I cant find in any other car I have driven and it is beautiful.

I am now thinking about selling my box as it really has given me nightmares ever since I discovered the Intermediate Shaft (IMS), and other issues. But for those back home, I cant see why you guys shouldnt keep your Porsches.

Best regards,

Boris

Hi Boris

Now having lived on the mainland, and been a resident in Sichuan Province (Chongqing and Chendu) where you can get some seriously "hot" food, when I first returned to the UK much to my family's concern it was always Vindaloos and Phals at the Curry Shop. Indeed I would always take a bottle of Tabasco Sauce with me wherever I ate, just to warm it up. But the Cantonese style in Hong Kong had its fine points too! ( I just love drunken shrimps)

However lets depart from cuisine and back to cars.

During a period of sleeplessness last night, due mainly to a knee :eek:ld: thats having surgery on Monday and a wife :thewife: who is quite unwell at present, I remembered something from my antiquity!

I had a string of Lotus Cortinas and Lotus Elans, and these especially a 150bhp version I built benefited from a weekly Weber and Ingnition Timing tweak, as well as a dose of neat Redex down the intakes.
Now when you sucked the Redex in with the intake suction the smoke that came off more white than blue!!!!!!!
So I'm more and more convinced that it was just an oil overfill issue rather than a head failure.
Try just washing the AOL out with a bit of fuel or "pet spirit" and allow to fully dry. Why not check out prices of Compression Testers on the web, they are a good investment.
If you were in the UK I would lend you mine. If you come home periodically you can borrow mine and return it on the next trip home as Kent is not that far from Hampshire.

Nice one. It is good to hear someone from home has been to done more than I have in China. Yes, I have heard that Sichuan food is very hot indeed but very tasty if you can take it. Same goes with me about having some kinds of chill sauce or Tabasco with my meals. Thanks for sharing your overseas experience.

I sincerely wish your surgery will go smoothly and well. I damaged my cruciate ligament when I was hit flying after hitting the ball during a game of football around 4 years ago, it was clearly a foul and the bloke received a red card while I got carried to the hospital. It took me around 2.5 years to make a full recovery. I trust that yours isn't as bad as mine, so don't worry about it and take it easy.

As for my Boxster, I have driven around 120 miles over the weekend and it feels better than ever. I cant believe the difference that new AOS has made. Am I right to think the car is good and healthy again? Can I keep it for another year before selling it without the need to tear the engine apart for a repair or a new engine?

How's your knee Big Bob mate? I wish you well.

Thanks, I really want to keep it for 1 more year unless it can be sold for a good price. We'll see and I will keep you posted.

Boris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back