Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C2S: Re-starting after a stall

clivejaustin

Hi,

Newbie question if possible. I've had my 997 C2S for a couple of weeks now and am still getting used to it - in particular I've have had the occasional stall. It seems that having stalled it does so with quite a jolt and then doesn't seem to want to re-start too easily. Sluggish cranking and often taking a number of attempts. Has anyone experienced anything similar or am I alone in driving like a learner? Is it normal?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

H Clive, I too like most have stalled usually because not giving it enough revs :oops:

However, when restarting it has sparked up first time. As I'm sure you know when starting a 911 you shouldn't push the accelerator pedal down as you would on another car. The engine management system works out precisely how much petrol to inject without our help.

Could you have been pushing the accel pedal?

Pete

Thanks Pete. Didn't think I was pressing the pedal but old habits etc. Any other thoughts out there?

Just learning to drive mine and had a similar experience the other day (not enough revs and kids gloves!) but it was dead when I turned the key! It started after a few attempts of nothing. Do they have to go through an ignition sequence? (997 S)

Talking of stalling.

On the Ring trip at the end of May I was sat on the train, in the car with the clutch depressed, in gear and the engine ticking over. The "conductor" walked over to me and I wound the window down. He said to me, leave your window down and leave the car in gear albeit I couldn't really hear him due to a rather nice 996 GT3 RS immediately behind me and a trail of Pork coming to a stop and revving the engines. Nodding my head cos I knew the drill I released the clutch forgetting I was in gear!!

Considering I was at the front of one carriage, I nearly took a trip through the separating doors, much to the amusement of my fellow travellers. I hate to think what the outcome would have been if someone had been in front of me. :eek:

Anyway, the car starts fine even when your embarrassed if you don't touch the accelerator!! :D

ResB said:
Talking of stalling.

On the Ring trip at the end of May I was sat on the train, in the car with the clutch depressed, in gear and the engine ticking over. The "conductor" walked over to me and I wound the window down. He said to me, leave your window down and leave the car in gear albeit I couldn't really hear him due to a rather nice 996 GT3 RS immediately behind me and a trail of Pork coming to a stop and revving the engines. Nodding my head cos I knew the drill I released the clutch forgetting I was in gear!!

Considering I was at the front of one carriage, I nearly took a trip through the separating doors, much to the amusement of my fellow travellers. I hate to think what the outcome would have been if someone had been in front of me. :eek:

Anyway, the car starts fine even when your embarrassed if you don't touch the accelerator!! :D

You didn't tell me about that. Very lucky indeed.

I was told by a Porsche instructor once that the computer needs to be given 5 second after stalling before re-start therefore whenever I have stalled, turn ignition to off - wait a few seconds and then it starts first time.

Pete Hadfield said:
ResB said:
Talking of stalling.

You didn't tell me about that. Very lucky indeed.

I thought it would get out all on its own. :oops:

I have this problem. Mine seems to do what the OP said - that it turns over sluggishly and struggles to start rather than nothing at all. I can see that getting nothing might be something to do with the car's brain thinking about it, but sluggish turnover would suggest a different problem to me? I also sometimes have the problem when I stop and restart the car after a long drive and it is still hot.
I originally thought it might be the battery and I changed that, but didn't make a difference. Perhaps alternator?

I get a rattle when starting after a stall, but always give it a few secs for the car to accept my silent apology for being a berk.

Cured the stalling, got a tiptronic, even her indoors cant mess it up :floor:

mjt54 said:
I have this problem. Mine seems to do what the OP said - that it turns over sluggishly and struggles to start rather than nothing at all. I can see that getting nothing might be something to do with the car's brain thinking about it, but sluggish turnover would suggest a different problem to me? I also sometimes have the problem when I stop and restart the car after a long drive and it is still hot.
I originally thought it might be the battery and I changed that, but didn't make a difference. Perhaps alternator?

Yep - this is exactly what mine does, including the bit about re-starting when warm. I too had thought it might be a duff battery. I am not pressing the accelerator on re-start either. Any thoughts?

Not only STALLING, but then admitting to it? C'mon boys!

I never STALL, I'm way too cool.

Mind, I've got a tip! :floor: :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back