Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S Exhaust volume - track day issue

Donverdi

Hi - I've searched in all the subforums and the trackday section , but can't find an answer, so apologies if I'm missing something obvious...

I'm planning to take my car to Donington for a track day, but they have a strict 98 decibel (dba) noise limit imposed by the council.

Can I be sure that the volume of my standard factory fit exhaust won't exceed this? Evidently they have a series of mics aorund the circuit that pick the noise up as you pass by and you'll be pulled by the marshal if you're over the limit. If this is the case, you'll be sent away with no refund. Obviously if you're tested at the beginning and fail, they'll not allow you on the track and again, no refund.

Clearly common sense says that I should go to an MOT test centre and have them test it (if they've got the right machine that is), but I don't know how they'll replicate me driving past their workshop doing over 100mph on the public highway....

Any thoughts? I don't want to fork out the money, drive all the way from Leeds only to be turned away!

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Marcus

Hi Marcus

Im sure you wont have any problems with noise with a std exhaust system. I've done loads of trackdays at donington in cars with aftermarket exhausts with no problems. A PSE on loud might struggle thou :wink:

Cheers
Jay

Marcus, I've read on this site by those in the know that a standard 997 s exhaust will not breach 98 decibels so don't worry. I even think a GT3 with standard exhaust is also ok too.

Somebody will back me up I'm sure.

Pete

Donnington last year had 2 sensers track side. 1 some where at the bottom of the valley so far away from the track, that you will need to be driving a jet plane to set it off.
The other is on the pit straight about 150yds in, where there is a steel gantry going over the track. This is the one to watch. But saying that I can't see a standard exhaust on a C4S getting any where near.
I take my GT3 there on standard 98db days and get away with it as long as I change up a gear as I go past the senser on the pit straight, and my car has been tested at 102db's.

There has also been plenty of other porsches on track while I've been, and not seen any of them band for noise.

The Marshal's are normally ok' and if the worst does happen they will give you a chance to rectify the problem, which can be as easy as telling them you will take it out of sport mode.

Donnington is a great track so have a blast :thumb:

P.S When is your track day :?:

Great, thanks for the responses and on this basis I'll trust your judgement!

Next thing is additonal Insurance cover. I've been quoted £250 for the day, which I thought sounded pretty expensive? Does anybody have any idea whether this sounds reasonable or way over the top. I'm 35 and have a max no claims and no penalty points. The underwriter I approached was Towergate via Competition Car Insurance.

I've seen some brokers providing annual car cover and then rolling up a number of track days for free. As I'm shortly about to renew, perhaps it would be worth having a word with them? Obviously any recommendations you may have are very welcome.

Finally in terms of dates, they've got one at the end of April and one in May, but I gather they sell out pretty quickly so I need to get my skates on.

Thanks again.
Marcus

Donverdi said:
I've seen some brokers providing annual car cover and then rolling up a number of track days for free. As I'm shortly about to renew, perhaps it would be worth having a word with them? Obviously any recommendations you may have are very welcome.

Go for this option - much more cost effective than a single one-day one-premium cover (though £250 is cheaper than the quotes I had when I last went on a track).

~ Maxie

I'm with Norwich Union at the moment, and they will cover my car for £155 a track day. Also there standard policy covers the RING as well.

So If you are renewing give them a call.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back