Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 2
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 7
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 12
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 5
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

bigfish
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: 997...engine..Porsche ... and Annoyed Reply with quote

OK...so had a 996 for 5 years & no trouble at all

Buy a 3 1/2 year old 997 - only covered 32k miles - and I start hearing a "tapping" noise on start up - and tapping pace increases when I drive.

So - think this isnt right so go to Porsche today who tell me 30 hours of labour & probably piston gone!!

How can that be - after 32,000 miles!!! Had a pre inspection done by Peter Morgan only 2000 miles ago

Any suggestions on what to do - and pretty p@@@ed off with this car ...as its was fine when got it & cant belive this has happened to such a young car

ResB
Estoril

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had it and where did you buy it from? If you got it from an OPC isn't there a 1 yr dealer warranty with it?

I'd get a second opinion, perhaps from a well known and reputable Independent Porsche Garage asap.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. For nomal driving the engine should be in tip top condition. I would get the OPC or Independent to run the computer on it and establish how many occasions it may have been over revved, or missed gears. This would be my guess as to why there may be a problem. Sad

bigfish
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Peter Morgan - the car has never been over rev'd - and has average speed on less than 25mph before me. He ran the computer on it prior to me buying

And I have not thrashed it all - so it sure isnt the driving

And I purchased from a non porsche dealer - no issue with them to date

However - I have spoken again to Porsche dealer - who to be fair were very good on the phone. They are going to strip the engine down...find the problem & then try & get Porsche GB involved.

Still...no car...grrrrrr

sidlo
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up my 2004 997c2s yesterday which has only covered 21700 miles and it had a new engine fitted by Porsche earlier this month. According to the work schedule it was no 6 piston which had scored the bore of the crankcase. Total of bill £6145. Glad I did not pick it up in Jan. At least I get a 2 year manufacturers warranty with it.

Is their a theme here with these engines?

ameer
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidlo wrote:
Picked up my 2004 997c2s yesterday which has only covered 21700 miles and it had a new engine fitted by Porsche earlier this month. According to the work schedule it was no 6 piston which had scored the bore of the crankcase. Total of bill £6145. Glad I did not pick it up in Jan. At least I get a 2 year manufacturers warranty with it.

Is their a theme here with these engines?

£6k... flipping heck! Thats serious amounts of money on a car worth £35k!

I was looking at the WHATCAR.co.uk readers review section on the 911 2004- coupe. One of the most recent review is from this chap who talking about his engine needing to be replaced on a young low mileage car.

I know when i have been discussing issues with the 996, people have explained to me on here that forums are for people who have had issues with cars and its a way to discuss solutions.

I think there has been over 100,000 997s produced? so i am sure someone is going to say to me that 10 out of 100,000 engines is not bad... I'll be thinking yes sure the numbers prob dont look to bad but i'd also be thinking if i owned a 2004/5 911 that my car is likely to have some expensive issues and that would take the edge of owning the 911... lets talk about Honda and their Vtech engine.. they rev the hell out the engine and its common knowledge that none have blown! I am wondering why such a brand as Porsche has these issues with engines? Afteral it is a £65k car, german build... sure it should be rock solid?

I am thinking of selling the S2000 and getting a 2005 911S... but these stories of crazy engine issues are worrying. ***** out £35k on a car then at some point having a £6k issue would be really worrying for anyone!

Chris W
Approved Trader

2000 Porsche Boxster (986)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ever way you look at it, statistics etc etc, thats shocking for a Porsche and I feel for you. After the issues with 996s you would have thought these would be rock solid. I do hope you get some satisfactory outcome.

Yes high miles, badly treated cars will get problems but on such low mileage cars thats poor engineering Hand

The zero hassle, comprehensive, uncompromising quality wheel & tyre service

exelwheels.co.uk

ameer
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris W, i have to agree with you. It appears to be poor engineering.

lol i was put off from the 996 because of the issues and after reading this i feel maybe the 911 is just going to be a bit of a dream! i dont know about these issues... i would rather stick to something more solid like a BMW 335i coupe lol!

Chris W
Approved Trader

2000 Porsche Boxster (986)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ameer wrote:
Chris W, i have to agree with you. It appears to be poor engineering.

lol i was put off from the 996 because of the issues and after reading this i feel maybe the 911 is just going to be a bit of a dream! i dont know about these issues... i would rather stick to something more solid like a BMW 335i coupe lol!

Its all relative but would add that BMWs aren't failsafe, but its more acceptable when you start at a lower price. Whilst I wouldn't say more solid, BMW have been water cooling cars for ever and I dare say this has been Porsche's nemesis on the flat 6's, whether its related to the OP's problem or not.

The zero hassle, comprehensive, uncompromising quality wheel & tyre service

exelwheels.co.uk

ameer
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol agreed. BMWs have their own issues! hmm Audis then.... lol.

You look at a 997 and think wow... such a lovely looking thing.. drives superb... its a shame that they are built like Ladas.

I hope this chaps issue is resolved quickly and with little cost...!

Cornwallnewbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.

That does seem incredible on such low mileage. I have recently bought a similar car, fingers crossed the same doesn't happen. I had a misfire from a coil pack, but that was an easy fix.

I wonder whether there is any evidence of more issues from cars that are used only at w/e s or as 3rd or 4th cars.

Mine ran a lot better after the first few hundred miles, and is used daily. it feels like it improves again once it has been running for 15-20 mins, but maybe that is just me imagining it. Smile

bigfish
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...so I spoke to Porsche again today & dropped in all my paperwork as they requested

They are going to strip the engine down Monday/Tuesday...and then speak to Porsche GB. They will then revert to me once they know the problem (I am pretty sure they know its a piston - black oil all over one of the rear exhausts).

I cant commnet really on reliability - I guess all comapnies have some level of problems....its how they solve them is the issue. There is no way that this is anything other than a manufacturing fault in my eyes...so lets see what Porsche come up with

And still grrrrr...no car is not easy

ameer
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, most companies have some sort of issue. the surprise is for most of us is because we do not expect a 2004 Porsche to have such a fundamental engine issue. Okay fine if you have a French car and the engine breaks down you think I paid peanuts for it and it is an expected issue with the car but when you pay large sums of money for a high end vehicle and it does this you realise that its not something to be taken lightly. It is a manufacturing fault.. what else could it be...? It will be interesting to see if this is a common issue... no way of finding out. Porsche are hardly going to admit it after its issue with the last model!

Best of luck.. please keep us informed.

TR 1972

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having worked in the motor trade for many years allbeit commercials I would play my face holy hell to porsche customer services. Never fails, tell them your going to the press

bigfish
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to garage today - and said its an engine rebuild or a new engine

They are speaking to Porsche GB to see what they will offer . Before I throw my toys out the pram I will wait & see their response....

But have to admit I am still shocked that a 30,000 mile car needs this...

adrian996
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am thinking of selling the S2000 and getting a 2005 911S... but these stories of crazy engine issues are worrying. ***** out £35k on a car then at some point having a £6k issue would be really worrying for anyone!"

...don't bother mate!!!

Discord23
Suzuka

1996 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am wondering why such a brand as Porsche has these issues with engines? Afteral it is a £65k car, german build... sure it should be rock solid? "

Might be wrong here but I thought the engines were built in Spain. Only the GT3 and Turbos are built in Germany so that would make it a spanish build.

Dear God man. Check those seals....
(Wheels approved by ChrisW)

ameer
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfish, that really is a pain. I would feel so gutted if any car i owned needed a rebuild at 30,000 miles (apart from Nobles and TVRs.. you would expect that anyway).

Hopefully Porshy GB can help but if the chap above is right it might be little help. Figures crossed.

Quite surprised it is built in Spain, i suppose that means very little. The factory would have high standards.. right?

I spoke via email to the editor in chief of Total 911 mag, i put forward this same question and also asked if they are putting together a buyers guide for the 997 and they are currently working on it.. About these engine failures he said and i quote "From what I understand, engine failures on 997s are very rare, and instances have been exaggerated on Internet forums. I'd certainly have no worries in buying a 997."

Okay, so they are rare but i see 2 chaps with similar issues.... so not so rare? It is really a shame. just hope as its a manufacturing fault P. GB help you out.

I remember some GCSE business law and the words 'Merchantable quality' and 'not fit for use' come to mind...

damn... this is an essay.. cutting out now!

Maxie
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ameer wrote:

Okay, so they are rare but i see 2 chaps with similar issues.... so not so rare?

Two people with similar issues......how many 997 owners didn't report this same issue? I would say ***** (editor of Total 911) knows what he's talking about. Of course it's a rare issue - it's the only two the rest of the forum have seen reported on these pages. Perhaps you are not doing it deliberately, but it does sound you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. Why don't I personally invite you one of our next meets where you will have the chance to meet with some 997 drivers? Even come along in your S2000 or TT for the drive afterwards and try to keep up?

~ Maxie

ameer
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxie, fair point. 100,000 or so 997 sold only a few cases on this site out of the 100,000 997 members on here ;-P

i spoke to a really nice chap from here a few days ago. he bought a lovely 2004 911S with low mileage. We discussed the rebuild issue... best thing is to put aside about £2k pa just incase but he seemed unworried by the issue. Also he mentioned an RMS leak with the car which he got sorted before collection. Apart from that he loves it.. esp around country roads. Defo a good chat and helped me understand the ownership experience a bit better. Maxie it would be nice to come along to your meets. Defo good to talk to other 911 owners. thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that!

As for keeping up... my vehicle can reach the UK speed limits without any issues, on route we can always stop over at the OPC so you can have your rebuild done and then we can set off again. should be fun.

bigfish
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is so rare...how come the dealership has another car in the garage with the same fault ... and no its not the other guy on this site

And the billl.....£8,700

If Porsche GB dont pay this...I will never touch the brand again...its a joke on a 30k mile car.

So...lets see what they can do - and dealership are trrying to be helpful

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: