Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 81
996 : 1997-2005 47
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Paintshield
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Paint protection film yellowing the definitive causes Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Not sure and whether I have posted this before (dont think so) although I may have touched upon this on other threads.

Before launching into this let me just say what I am about to post relates to ALL PU (Polyurethane) ppf films . No Film is immune to these products.

For many years we had heard about yellowing ppf films indeed some people made claims their film didnt yellow, although most manufacturers warranty against this it is a hassle to customers getting the film replaced and was dependent in large measure on the installer still being in business if a customer encountered issues.

Far better it seemed to me to ascertain causes and embark on prevention rather than cure.

What struck me as strange was that you could do thousands of cars and never see this then you would get one car that would throw up an issue. Conversely you would get some parts of the world (in the US particularly) where some guys were having masses of issues and yet over here with film drawn from the same batches we would never get it!

Clearly something more fundamental was going on.

We ascertained that it could either be due to Neglect or contamination. However we put 3M on out vans and then never touched it for two years nothing no movement no shift nothing.

Clearly on a topcoated film it wasnt enviromental.

What has been found out in the last year is that there are certain products and chemicals which will cause PPF to yellow.

These are as follows:

Tolulene and Zylene (commonly used in many adhesive removers) now Toulene can be used in small quantities without adverse effects in concentrate form if left on film and not neutralised right after use it will cause yellowing. As a side issue Tolulene will destroy poly carb do not EVER get this on headlights indecator lenses or Polycarb race windows if you have them make no mistake it is MERCILESS if using any tart and adhesive remover mask off all Polycarb components and get it off film immediately

The most concerning element is anything containing Petroleum distillates (parrafin wax).

Now the issue is this there are two types of petroleum distillates Kerosene (Parrafin) based and Naptha based. Naptha based PD's are fine the deadly ones to film are the Parrafin based ones. So how can you tell? Well typically you cant, in most cases the only labelling requirement is to state Petroleum distillates on the label, not which type. The safe course of action therefore is to avoid ANY of them.

One rider to this is, we do know of one product "Turtle Wax ICE" which contains PD's however, we KNOW these are Naptha based and are fine on the film (indeed we have used this for about a year in tests with no adverse effects).

In all other cases avoid utilising this chemical makeup on films (anyones).

Carnuba waxes generally are fine heavy yellow wax density waxes may cause a temporary issue however this is non permanent if it occurs and can be removed by stripping old wax off and going back to the film and starting with a fresh coat of wax. In reality I have never seen this happen however I know it is theoretically possible.

If you decide to use a paint sealant over the film then check the contents carefully to ensure it contains no petroleum distillates.

Finally truck wash or Traffic film removers (TFR's), this is a product that must not be used on films it will also turn films yellow, now most of you will never have come across this before. However if you have a white car sometimes a car dealership will use it when you have your car serviced to get the car quickly back to a crystal white appearance. When putting your car in for service if they offer to wash it check woth them that they will NOT use a TFR on your car.

Obviously with us (and some others) you could completely ignore this and if your film does start to yellow it would be replaced under warranty however it does save everyone (mainly you) a lot of potential hassle if you know up front what the cause is.

Finally spring is coming soon and millions of tons of grit have been put on the road recently consider having your car booked in to be protected before the "hooning" season opens officially Smile (well I am a businessman after all) Smile

Cheers

Tom

Paintshield
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been advised by the US that Zaino products should not be used on Film as they can cause yellowing of PPF.

I will get back on here when I have further information, until then my advice would be to avoid these until which of any are safe is known from a PPF perspective.

Cheers

Tom

Pete Hadfield
Suzuka

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom, does this include the rear wheel arch covers too? I use Zaino and want to head off a problem.

Pete

997 C2S, no longer a 'Ring virgin

Paintshield
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it would it will cause this on any brand of PPF another one Identified recently was Meguairs Gold Class.

I am testing a product which MAY correct yellowing caused by certain products right now.

It lifts ingrained dirt from cheaper "value films" and will take the black line of dirt that can sometimes appear on the adhesive edge of any film Smile

I have a vehicle which we have run for a few months with several brands of film on and have used products to DELIBERATELY discolour the film. I am going to see whether it will take out yellowing due to petroleum distillates.

As soon as we know I will let you guys know and will post the reults up on here and Detailing world.

In the meantime heres some pics from a test a mate of mine has been running in the US Smile

Check it out Smile

test3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.29 KB
 Viewed:  10547 Time(s)

test3.jpg

test2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.24 KB
 Viewed:  10547 Time(s)

test2.jpg

Pete Hadfield
Suzuka

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tom, will go easy on the Zaino on the film in future.

Pete thumbsup

997 C2S, no longer a 'Ring virgin

Paintshield
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK we have now updated Paint Protection film 101 on our website with the results of our testing, on a well known brand of raw material on one of our cars

Additionally we have had the product featured out on field tests for some time and have sold small numbers to specific customers who have utilised various brands of film and with issues varying from base neglect, through to innaprpropriate product use (Excluding TFR Damage) thus far this has proved 100% successful.

This basically vindicates what I have been saying for years, and shows that it is "Brand" independent.

The link to our news page is here : http://www.paintshield.co.uk/news.php

On that article is a link to the revised PPF101 with a full demonstration on how to remove yellowing and using one of the products we recommend (we have stocks available btw if you need any).

This also works on Milkiness, Cloudiness and loss of Gloss, which are actually all the same manifestation just appearring differently due to the colour of the car.

Enjoy Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: