Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

carrea 3.8 S exhaust rattle

a17thc

Hi,

Just bought my first 911 two weeks ago, which comes with a full offical porsche warranty.

1. when I start from cold it sounds like the baffels rattle, its only for seconds and the porsche garage, seem to think thats normal!, what are your thoughts.

2. regarding the stone chip guard to the rear quarters, has anybody ever had these changes, my car is silver and these are looking like they are starting to discolour..

I bought the car privately and transfered the warranty into my name, in case you ask, why didn't I get the garage to do this..

your help is really appreciated..

I get that on my 996.....Having lived with it for 2 years, I think it's normal.

~ Maxie

it may just the current cold ?

rear stone guards shouldnt be discoloured and should be covered under your warranty

The rattle developed on my 996 after around 3 yrs from new. My rattle only started once everything got warm and could only be heard at tickover - it was worse in warm weather. It still had it when I sold it at 5yrs but didn't get any worse. One guy at the garage said it was the baffles but it was nothing to worry about.

The sound is normal- my 996 PSE did it from the day I fitted it.

The stonechip guards do go a bit yellow looking. I'd sugggest going to Paintshield and getting some proper ones fitted. I wonder if they do mail-order if you don't fancy the trip to Grantham.

Robertb said:
The sound is normal- my 996 PSE did it from the day I fitted it.

The stonechip guards do go a bit yellow looking. I'd sugggest going to Paintshield and getting some proper ones fitted. I wonder if they do mail-order if you don't fancy the trip to Grantham.

I don't think my car has a PSE fitted, is this what the rattle might be?
How do tell if it has one?

My old neighbour had a 997 and everytime he started it the exhaust sounded very metallic, not so much of a rattle but maybe what your experiencing. I wouldnt worry too much.

On the stoneguards I'd suspect its been cleaned with something too heavy like a general truckwash. AFAIK all protection films are sensitive to certain chemicals which should be avoided e.g. toluene or petroleum based solvent. They show up badly on silver/light cars as yellowing. I understand original spec Porsche guards are made of a pretty low grade film.

When I first started looking to buy a 997 I walked away from one because its exhaust rattled like that when cold. It was only when I had heard two or three other cars exactly the same that I realised I had made a mistake. They don't all do it , but lots do. I wouldn't worry.

David

I seem to remember a recall on early 997's for an exhaust rattle?? if not a recall then certainly a known issue at OPC's, it usually finished with the tailpipes falling off.

have a search but it was when they first came out I think.

a17thc said:
I don't think my car has a PSE fitted, is this what the rattle might be?
How do tell if it has one?

If you have the PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) you will have a switch on the centre console, below the PCM with a twin exhaust icon on it. The mode will default to OFF, but you get a much improved exhaust note when you switch it on. :thumb:
Also, the tailpipes will be two different sizes, i.e. the inner pipes will be a smaller diameter to the outer pipes.

My signature pic below was taken before I had the PSE installed, so the tailpipes are all the same size.

I have not experienced a rattle, either before of after the PSE installation.

Clive

This could e what I experience with mine for the first 5 to 40 seconds or so when starting from cold. The consensus is that it's the auxiliary air pump.

You can follow the topic http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=41315 and compare my sound with yours.

My OPC also remoarked that a car needs to stand for as much as 4 hours before you can be certain that the sound will reappear on restarting :eek:

BTW the exhaust is rock-solid and I'm more likely to fall from the car before it does :)

royd999 said:
This could e what I experience...

It's a sad fact of life that it doesn't matter how many times you proofread a post before you submit it. There will always be a stupid mistake :x

Was it ever established if the car had PSE? The valve the system it operates is clearly a candidate for any rattle especially on cold idle.
Big Bob

Exhaust

My 997 is exactly the same

Stone guards

Low cost and easy to replace

Paul

update

sorry guys, been having problems with the wireless internet..

The car does not have a PSE, it's going into the Newcastle Porsche dealer today..

I'm going to ask about the stone guards and try and get them replaced under warranty..

Will let you know what they say about the exhaust..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back