Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High mileage 997s

sram

Watching the 997 market like a hawk, I have noticed a couple of high (60k+) mileage 997s over the past few months.
The latest one is:

http://pistonheads.com/sales/890429.htm

The two that I have seen just over 100k have both listed new engines fitted under warranty. It could well be coincidence, but as there are relatively few high mileage 997s out there at the moment, I thought it was a bit odd.

I plan on getting a ≤40k miler 997 and putting about 50-60k on it over the next 3-4 years. Who knows for how long I'll keep it, but I hope to have it for many years.

Fair enough, a 100k mile car might need a few things engine-related replacing by that time, but a whole new engine? I know it's silly to expect 993-like 150,000-odd miles before a rebuild, but I hope they're designed to last a bit longer than 100k without popping...

Stu

Right. I must get back to work and stop looking at autotrader!

sram said:
Watching the 997 market like a hawk, I have noticed a couple of high (60k+) mileage 997s over the past few months.
The latest one is:

http://pistonheads.com/sales/890429.htm

The two that I have seen just over 100k have both listed new engines fitted under warranty. It could well be coincidence, but as there are relatively few high mileage 997s out there at the moment, I thought it was a bit odd.

I plan on getting a ≤40k miler 997 and putting about 50-60k on it over the next 3-4 years. Who knows for how long I'll keep it, but I hope to have it for many years.

Fair enough, a 100k mile car might need a few things engine-related replacing by that time, but a whole new engine? I know it's silly to expect 993-like 150,000-odd miles before a rebuild, but I hope they're designed to last a bit longer than 100k without popping...

Stu

Right. I must get back to work and stop looking at autotrader!

I know what you mean.. i have seen a coupe of 997 with 60k on the clock with engine replacements. Just seemed odd.

I am aiming to get a car with 20k on the clock... and also want to hold on to it for a long long time.. maybe 5+ years! the engine blowing is a slight concern...

they have sold over 100,000 997's... would be interesting to see how many have engine issues! But engine issues with the 997 might be same as the 996 and its RMS.. it maybe just a situation made bigger then it is?

I know that it has a new engine but are there really people in the market for a 100k mile base model C2 at £31K? When you can get sub £40K C2S's from an OPC with 30,000 miles?

Malton and their seemingly ridiculously overpriced cars........

So how well does the 997 engine hold up to high mileage? as good as the 993?

I thought the 997 was 2 years or 20,000 miles service interval? If so that car has missed every bloody one!!

diffstar said:
I thought the 997 was 2 years or 20,000 miles service interval? If so that car has missed every bloody one!!

Good point, hadn't noticed that.

Jamie said:
diffstar said:

Good point, hadn't noticed that.

I think it's a little overpriced but no more that £ 2 - 2500. If it were an S it would be on the button I think.

I can't see the servicing intervals being a major no no. If it still had its original engine in at 106k with the first 3 services done at 25K intervals and not 20k, hows that such a terrible thing ? More importantly the type of driving, if its principally motorway I see no problem at all.

Regarding the service intervals, Porsche can't have had any major problem with it either, they have stuck a new engine under warranty in it. I am not familiar with the warranty conditions but if overshooting the service interval was such a no-no surely it would be a breach of the warranty terms and subsequently Porsche refuse the claim.

You boyos are far too picky sometimes :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back