Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Hatfield taking the Michael

rhenders

Just got my C4S back from Hatfield following it's 48k service. We agreed a 15% discount up front which I thought was great until I went to pick up the car. Even though I said no extras they tried to charge me an extra £100 for changing one of the front lightbulbs plus £10 for the bulb. When I challenged this they said that they did it without my prior approval and the small print lets them do jobs without permission anyway as long as they are sub £100. I did manage to negotiate the labour charge down to £28, but even so I think this is taking the Michael when I specifically stated that I did not want any extras, and I have two witnesses. In any event I would rather pay myself £28 to cange the bulb!
I've thrown 'breach of contract' and 'small claims court' at them, but they standing their ground. To add salt to the wound they didn't complete the brake fluid change because they couldn't slacken one of the bleed nipples - wonder why they didn't try and free it! They have said that they will complete the job if I free up the nipple though in their defence.
All beware of those dreaded extras!
:x

Why we deal with these clowns is beyond me it really is...£100 to change a light bulb. :what:

I can't remember the figures but I enquired how much a single main bulb was for mine (xenon) and it was £250ish. Anywhere else was £90 IIRC!!

It is interesting the issue of the small print, something I will be weary of at my next service....

hatfield porsche

The day is surely coming when just like the rest of the retail and industrial world these dealers will have to be competitive or go to the wall, I mean how can labour rates in excess of 120 be acceptable my lorries are only 42.00 , at main dealers and they are a darn sight more complex than any porsche, more power to the indies, i dread ever having to visit a porsche main dealer, and hope I never have to. good luck. :lock: :thumb: :sad:

FFS couldn't free the nipple? WTF they are supposed to be the place that can work on your car above all else...and to ask you to free it for them to make their life easier?? :evil:

I had a call today asking if I wanted to book in for service, I politely explained why and had a general chat. What annoyed me is that the person calling works for a telesales company on behalf of various OPCs and other prestige brands. So Hatfield are just twiddling their thumbs by the sounds of it while others do their work.

Something else actually. If indeed the small print is "small print" I understand that this is no longer an accepted method of informing the customer. For some it could be too small to read therefore it is discrimination. It is also seen as a deliberate way of missleading/misinforming your customer and certainly frowned upon...

In law if you tell them no extras then that means no extras. It is an ammendment to their preprinted contract. In effect they (or their employee which is the same) agree it would seem they have agreed to the ammendment to the preprinted contract. Hence no extra work without your prior consent. (it can be more complex but in short this is correct)

I would recomend telling them to remove their non requested new bulb and you will just pay for work you agreed to have done. That way both sides have stuck to the agreed amended contract.

It will look a bit pi** poor to hold your car re such a small sum but if they do & invite them to sue you for the shortfall in the payment of their invoice and return the car. This would be good practice for any car dealer.

If all else fails pay the amount and sue them- you have a duty to minimise your losses so don't start thinking about hiring a 911 and sending them the bill - it won't work.

But the small claims court form is easy to fill in and warn Hadfield they will get stuck with the issue fee and your costs of attending court - issue fee about £150 (I think) your costs would be loss of days pay to attend court plus the same for any witness that attend court to confirm your instructions plus small amount say £30 - £50 for inconvenience.

So that could be £150 issue fee, say 3 peoples loss earning £300 and £30 for inconvenience plus the £28 labour and the bulb £10 - I make that over £500. or remove the bulb and bill you as agreed.

Explain this - if necessary in writing to head man at Hadfield - it always helps them to concentrate if you get a form from county court - easy just walk in & ask for it (small claims form) its free - and fill it in and send a copy with you letter.

You only pay the issue fee when you take it back to court completed to start the legal ball rolling.

Most companys cave in long before this.

hope this helps

atchura

should have gone to JZMachtech if you live in Herts!

OPC Hatfield are the biggest bunch of muppets around!

ResB said:
£100 to change a light bulb. :what:

A lot of newer cars need the front bumper removed to change the headlight bulb.. Hours labour + the part + VAT =£90-100

But we all know how easy it is to change a bulb on a 911..

Mid Sussex OPC charged me £26 to change a rear light bulb.

Chris W said:
FFS couldn't free the nipple? WTF they are supposed to be the place that can work on your car above all else...and to ask you to free it for them to make their life easier?? :evil:

I think they were scared of it snapping off and having to bill the customer a new brake caliper.... this is not too common on 911 cars but does happen.

We have had to do this on occassion but have the knowledge and a milling machine with which to carry out the repair to a safe standard as after all it is a braking system. no porsche dealer i know of has any of these facilties a few indys will under take this like hartech and us but don't know of any others up north, most just replace caliper or send it off to an engineering shop to repair.

Mike

Please dont take this personally, but anyone who goes to an OPC that gets bad press on here (not all OPC are bad) cannot complain when things go bad. The only excuse to go to an OPC which you know is bad (or the forum knows is bad) is if you have the warranty. Otherwise, you only have yourself to blame.

We all keep moaning about how bad some of them are, and yet people still go to them!? Mental. Vote with your wallet people! And before people shout "we need FPSH!", are you telling me that you personally would prefer a book full of OPC stamps, or full of JZM/Parr/Paragon/GTOne etc? I know which one I would prefer!

I went to Hatfield once when Sid was there. The service work was fine but the service rep was the biggest thieving pikey in the world. My final bill was a lot lower than the one they wanted me to pay, after I haggled/argued. I'm never going back. As for Chiswick - they were the sole reason I didnt renew the warranty and I will never go to them again.

Something I learnt very early on is ALWAYS confirm things in writing which is a small inconvenience at the time but can save you plenty of time/money in the long run.
I had an agreement with regard repairing rust to a BMW where I would pay labour costs while they supplied parts for free (the previous owner had missed the last inspection required under the body warranty which let BMW off the hook). I confirmed this in writing and added that I wanted an estimate of the labour costs 'prior' to them doing the work - they went ahead 'without' confirming labour costs and replaced all 4 doors, boot and bonnet lid. The service department then denied there was an agreement in place and wanted to charge me for parts and labour. I refused to pay, my solicitor presented them with a copy of my letter, they backed down and I drove off in a pristine car thanks to a letter which took me 5 minutes to write.

sportsandclassic said:
Chris W said:

I think they were scared of it snapping off and having to bill the customer a new brake caliper.... this is not too common on 911 cars but does happen.

We have had to do this on occassion but have the knowledge and a milling machine with which to carry out the repair to a safe standard as after all it is a braking system. no porsche dealer i know of has any of these facilties a few indys will under take this like hartech and us but don't know of any others up north, most just replace caliper or send it off to an engineering shop to repair.

Mike
Thanks for your input Mike. I was thinking that I would apply some heat to the nipple using a gas torch, but I'm concerned that I might fry the piston seals. What method do you normally deploy to remove tight nipples? Also, if I manage to shear off the nipple, what is your charge for drilling the old one out?
cheers
Ray

seized nipples

Hi if you apply gentle heat you will not fry the seals use heat and a combination of wd40 and gently turn the nipple both left and right you should have some success, thats exactly what I would do and indeed what we used to do when I worked in the trade, I am qualified to City & guilds distinction grade 1 served with a full apprenticeship so good luck

Thanks Mike,
I also served an apprenticeship and worked on aircraft fuel systems - but that was a long time ago. In fact I spent some time with nigel mansell before his motor racing days.
:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back