Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 75
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
doctorlanning
Silverstone


Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Posts: 118



PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: The Autowerks (Slough): Our Wheel Refurbishment work Reply with quote

hello to all...i just wanted to post a recommendation for harry at autowerks...
www.the-autowerks.com

i went away for the holidays and nervously left my 997 c2s with harry to detail...after meeting him and discussing 'the process', i immedately felt more relaxed as his professionalism and knowledge let me know that he knew what he was talking about ...

i arrived back on sunday to pick up my car and was blown away by the changes he was able to make!

harry will be posting the pictures over the next few days so all those who may be sceptical of paint correction etc will see how involved harry gets.
so, thanks harry, i will be seeing you regularly for top ups and the wErks ; )
M
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
L3YTN
Newbie


Joined: 24 Nov 2008
Posts: 23



PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear!!!

My 997 C4S (Gen 2) is going to Harry on Saturday to have some very subtle window tinting, a full valet, wax, wheel removal & protective claying!

Should look mint by 6pm Saturday evening Very Happy

Cheers!
L
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Harry @ The Autowerks
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 62
Location: Slough, Berkshire SL1 4BG


PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the post, it's much appreciated - i hope you enjoy reading the full write-up i sent you.

i'll just do a brief write-up on the main areas covered. this 911 was in for full paint correction with some special attention to be paid to the wheels as doctorlanning felt that the adhesive left on the wheels from being balanced previously and indeed the balance weights themselves were a bit of an eyesore - especially with the wheels being 5-spoke Carrera Classics.

so with the wheels off the car i removed the wheel weights and sprayed on some AutoSmart Tardis in order to soften the tar that was on the inside of the wheels. the balancing machine we have allows us to split the balance weight required behind the spokes of the alloy, meaning they are less visible. the weights were also rubbed down, sprayed silver, lacquered and left to dry prior to being stuck on the wheels, the reason for this was so that they would not tarnish over time. once the wheels had been cleaned both inside and out a layer of wheel sealant was applied - this is to add a bit of shine to the wheel but also act as a barrier for brake dust and road grime.

the eyesore


wheel weights removed and Tardis working on dissolving the tar




after


a layer of wheel sealant and the painted wheel weights




the wheels balanced with the weights hidden behind the spokes


on the car


Last edited by Harry @ The Autowerks on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Pete Hadfield
Suzuka


Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 1147
Location: 25 miles north of Manchester

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry worship worship worship the car looks brill. Did you do the interior and if so any pics?

One question. I thought you had to place weights when balancing where the machine tells you. I must have been difficult not to place between the spokes......no?

Pete
_________________
Pete,

997 C2S, no longer a 'Ring virgin
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Harry @ The Autowerks
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 62
Location: Slough, Berkshire SL1 4BG


PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Hadfield wrote:
Harry worship worship worship the car looks brill. Did you do the interior and if so any pics?

One question. I thought you had to place weights when balancing where the machine tells you. I must have been difficult not to place between the spokes......no?

Pete


the interior was done, but i have to admit that it didn't need as much work as the car is kept in very good condition. the interior was hoovered and cleaned, and the seats were also cleaned and conditioned.

the engine bay was also cleaned and dressed

you're right about the balancing, you are required to place the weight where the machine indicates it is needed. however, the Hofman balancer that we have has a special function whereby once it has spun the wheel and calculated the amount of weight required, you can then input the desired locations of the weights (i.e. behind the spokes either side of the point where it wanted the weight in the first place). this function is specifically designed for these types of wheels, which have large gaps between the spokes. with the new co-ordinates of the wheel weights the machine will recalculate the amount of weight required in each of the locations. the amount of weight required will be different, but the net effect is the same as having put the original amount of weight required in the spot that it asked for at the beginning.

hope that makes sense.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Pete Hadfield
Suzuka


Joined: 06 Sep 2008
Posts: 1147
Location: 25 miles north of Manchester

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry @ The Autowerks wrote:
Pete Hadfield wrote:
Harry worship worship worship the car looks brill. Did you do the interior and if so any pics?

One question. I thought you had to place weights when balancing where the machine tells you. I must have been difficult not to place between the spokes......no?

Pete


the interior was done, but i have to admit that it didn't need as much work as the car is kept in very good condition. the interior was hoovered and cleaned, and the seats were also cleaned and conditioned.

the engine bay was also cleaned and dressed

you're right about the balancing, you are required to place the weight where the machine indicates it is needed. however, the Hofman balancer that we have has a special function whereby once it has spun the wheel and calculated the amount of weight required, you can then input the desired locations of the weights (i.e. behind the spokes either side of the point where it wanted the weight in the first place). this function is specifically designed for these types of wheels, which have large gaps between the spokes. with the new co-ordinates of the wheel weights the machine will recalculate the amount of weight required in each of the locations. the amount of weight required will be different, but the net effect is the same as having put the original amount of weight required in the spot that it asked for at the beginning.

hope that makes sense.


Harry, thanks for the reply. It makes perfect sense. Nice peice of kit. If I understand you correctly you will most likely end up with more weights than normal but you won't see any of them. Cool.

Keep up the good work.

Pete Thumb
_________________
Pete,

997 C2S, no longer a 'Ring virgin
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Harry @ The Autowerks
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 62
Location: Slough, Berkshire SL1 4BG


PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: The Autowerks (Slough): Our Wheel Refurbishment work Reply with quote

Thought it was about time that I exhibited some of our work. A few of these cars are members' vehicles (hope you guys don't mind me posting the pics).

Let's start with our wheel refurbs portfolio.

Update, Portfolio Updated for 2012-2013






http://www.the-autowerks.com/

Can't wait for the days to start getting longer again, because trying to take decent pics under these lights is a nightmare. Daylight pics are great in the workshop, but i might just have to bite the bullet and swap the bulbs.
_________________
Window Tinting & Alloy Wheel Refurbishment


www.the-autowerks.com
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
ResB
Estoril


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 3719
Location: North Yorkshire

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, particularly with some difficult wheels there. Would be good to see a "before and After" pic though.

Can you refurb the MkIV VW Golf Monza II wheels? Thinks that's what they are called.
_________________
I see dead pixels.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Robertb
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 6531
Location: South Oxfordshire

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you charge for a straight forward (non split-rim) wheel refurb- a proer job, inside and out?

Pm me if you prefer.
_________________
"911- the guilt-free supercar"

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Jamie
Reims


Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 4426


2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Harry!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Chris W
Approved Trader


Joined: 17 Sep 2006
Posts: 7866
Location: North, South, East & West

2000 Porsche Boxster (986)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto ResB, how much for 18" Turbo Technology per wheel?
_________________
The Unique Wheel Refurb & Tyre Service with Loan Wheels

The zero hassle, comprehensive, uncompromising quality wheel & tyre service

exelwheels.co.uk
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
993C2S
Long Beach


Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 6025
Location: Berkshire

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry, how much would you charge for window tinting on a 2008 Audi A6 saloon? PM if you'd prefer.
_________________
Asim
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
Harry @ The Autowerks
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 62
Location: Slough, Berkshire SL1 4BG


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robertb wrote:
What do you charge for a straight forward (non split-rim) wheel refurb- a proer job, inside and out?

Pm me if you prefer.


the cost to refurb the above would be £65 + vat per wheel. the cost goes up from there depending on whether the finish is to be powdercoated in high gloss black for instance, and obviously as you said, whether it's two or three piece.

The process will be as follows:
- remove tyre, valve and wheel weights
- strip the wheel completely of any paint and lacquer
- remove any kerbing
- powdercoat the primer
- wet paint the colour
- lacquer
- then bake in the oven in order to cure the lacquer
- fit a new valve, re-fit the tyre, balance the wheel
- fit it back on the car
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Harry @ The Autowerks
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 62
Location: Slough, Berkshire SL1 4BG


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris W wrote:
Ditto ResB, how much for 18" Turbo Technology per wheel?


as per my post above

we did a set of these last week:




_________________
Window Tinting & Alloy Wheel Refurbishment


www.the-autowerks.com
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Harry @ The Autowerks
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 62
Location: Slough, Berkshire SL1 4BG


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

993C2S wrote:
Hi Harry, how much would you charge for window tinting on a 2008 Audi A6 saloon? PM if you'd prefer.


offer on at the moment for £149 + vat from the b-pillar back.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Chris W
Approved Trader


Joined: 17 Sep 2006
Posts: 7866
Location: North, South, East & West

2000 Porsche Boxster (986)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry @ The Autowerks wrote:
Robertb wrote:
What do you charge for a straight forward (non split-rim) wheel refurb- a proer job, inside and out?

Pm me if you prefer.


the cost to refurb the above would be £65 + vat per wheel. the cost goes up from there depending on whether the finish is to be powdercoated in high gloss black for instance, and obviously as you said, whether it's two or three piece.

The process will be as follows:
- remove tyre, valve and wheel weights
- strip the wheel completely of any paint and lacquer
- remove any kerbing
- powdercoat the primer
- wet paint the colour
- lacquer
- then bake in the oven in order to cure the lacquer
- fit a new valve, re-fit the tyre, balance the wheel
- fit it back on the car


Thanks Harry, pics look superb.

For me and everyone else can you elaborate on 'remove kerbing' please. I've read about various 'processes' for this including 'we only use alloy welding'. What I'm concerned about is fillers etc that are natural weak points that easily damage when put on tyre removal machines.

Secondly on OE wheels the inners are usually the harder grey powdercoat, but on most refurbs I've seen the inners are silver or have significant overspray through the spokes. Where do you stand on this?
_________________
The Unique Wheel Refurb & Tyre Service with Loan Wheels

The zero hassle, comprehensive, uncompromising quality wheel & tyre service

exelwheels.co.uk
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
tazsura
Imola


Joined: 26 Jun 2007
Posts: 809
Location: London


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Harry,

Great pics, work looks good. I was wondering if you could quote me on 18" Porsche Classic II Split rims?

They're all kerbed and have had a poor refurb done on them prior to my purchase of the car, and it's peeling badly.

PM me if prefered.

Cheers!

Taran Thumb
_________________


'98 Carrera

Last edited by tazsura on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Harry @ The Autowerks
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 62
Location: Slough, Berkshire SL1 4BG


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris W wrote:
For me and everyone else can you elaborate on 'remove kerbing' please. I've read about various 'processes' for this including 'we only use alloy welding'. What I'm concerned about is fillers etc that are natural weak points that easily damage when put on tyre removal machines.

Secondly on OE wheels the inners are usually the harder grey powdercoat, but on most refurbs I've seen the inners are silver or have significant overspray through the spokes. Where do you stand on this?


Chris,

90% of all kerb damage is removed via the use of various grades of sanding discs. if you imagine that when a wheel is kerbed, the damage has to pentrate the lacquer, colour, and primer coats before it actually hits the wheel. and as you say, most wheels have a powdercoated basecoat which is thick and hard. so once we chemically strip the wheel we then assess the real damage caused to the wheel. as i said, most of it is machined out, but we do use metal filler if there is a significant chunk taken out of the wheel. once the filler is dry enough to work with we'll sand it back down before we powdercoat the primer. the wheel is baked at 200 deg C during the powdercoating process, so the filler is cured absolutely solid.

there is never any reason why a tyre machine should put enough stress on the rim of the wheel to damage it. all of the lacquer, paint and powdercoat would have to be ripped off before it were to get to the filler. the areas of contact when fitting a tyre are between the wheel rim and the tyre itself, the fitting arm of the machine should never touch the rim. we've fitted alot of run flat tyres to BMW wheels that we have refurbed, and the wall of a run flat tyre is VERY thick, and has absolutely no 'give' in it whatsoever, and these have all been fitted without any problems.

i hope that puts your mind at ease with regard to the issue of filler

as for painting the back of a wheel ...i prefer the OEM look of painted face and grey powder inner - although it is personal preference and we can do it either way. the issue of overspray is easily overcome by masking off the inner of the wheel prior to painting. the masking is removed before the wheel gets lacquered though, in order to avoid creating a ledge between the painted and powdered areas.

apologies for the long post, but there's no short answer really

regards
Harry
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Harry @ The Autowerks
Approved Trader


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 62
Location: Slough, Berkshire SL1 4BG


PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tazsura wrote:
Hiya Harry,

Great pics, work looks good. I was wondering if you could quote me on 18" Porsche Classic II Split rims?

They're all kerbed and have had a poor refurb done on them prior to my purchase of the car, and it's peeling badly.

PM me if prefered.

Cheers!

Taran Thumb


hi Taran,

can you forward any pictures of the wheels to me, my email address is

harry (at) the-autowerks.com

are the Classic similar to the Sport Design two piece wheels in that the rim is diamond turned as opposed to being painted?

if the wheels have been refurbed before did they get rid of the diamond turned effect by painting over it?

if they were diamond turned from the factory would you like them refurbed to that finish, or do you want the rim painted?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Chris W
Approved Trader


Joined: 17 Sep 2006
Posts: 7866
Location: North, South, East & West

2000 Porsche Boxster (986)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry @ The Autowerks wrote:
Chris W wrote:
For me and everyone else can you elaborate on 'remove kerbing' please. I've read about various 'processes' for this including 'we only use alloy welding'. What I'm concerned about is fillers etc that are natural weak points that easily damage when put on tyre removal machines.

Secondly on OE wheels the inners are usually the harder grey powdercoat, but on most refurbs I've seen the inners are silver or have significant overspray through the spokes. Where do you stand on this?


Chris,

90% of all kerb damage is removed .....apologies for the long post, but there's no short answer really

Harry


Thanks appreciate you explaining. I just wondered if the powdercoat has less of a bond on the filler than bare metal. I have had my rim damaged in the past (at a respected Indy) and assumed this was the reason for paint to flake/crack.
_________________
The Unique Wheel Refurb & Tyre Service with Loan Wheels

The zero hassle, comprehensive, uncompromising quality wheel & tyre service

exelwheels.co.uk
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum