Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

smokey boxter exhaust on start up

kggkgg

Hi all,
have had my 2.7 2004 (pre facelift) boxter for a few months now. Drives well but i notice that on start from cold there seems to be a significant cloud of pungent smoke that blows out. When the engine warms up this disappears. also note that the inside of the exhaust is black rather then dark grey. do i have a choke issue? Its been into my local indie but its only since the cold weather that i noticed the smoke so much. As i say it drives well even from cold. BTW has 59k miles.

look forward to hearing back

Keith

What colour is the smoke ?

Dan

smoke colour

i would say blueish and quite smelly so i am thinking unburnt fuel?

hi there new member here,would be interested in this as my boxster has just developed this problem and its rather worrying :? sorry forgot,i have the 2,5 version 1999

ged.10 said:
hi there new member here,would be interested in this as my boxster has just developed this problem and its rather worrying :? sorry forgot,i have the 2,5 version 1999

Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. It is down to being a flat-six engine.

The only time to worry is if it keeps billowing out when you are driving.

P.S Boxster not Boxter... :puh:

Boxer engine mounted in a Roadster hence the name Box-ster, knowing this helps you remember how to spell it.

Otherwise when you search for parts on Ebay all you will get in mens pants!! :D

Lloyd :thumb:

*EDIT* oops, sorry Ged.10, you spelt Boxster correct, I only read the original post.

no worries lloyd :lol: and hi to all,but back to topic,this is worrying because it really does bellow out smoke,have owned the car 2 years and its only just started doing this. :dont know: smoke appears when car has been stood an hour or two,but disappears after 20 to 30 seconds and is fine the rest of the time,no power loss,engine ticks over fine,wonder if could be an oil breather problem or something similar???????? anyway hope to have an expert looking into to this soon so will post result when its known cheers :roll: :D

had a look on boxa.net and it would appear that oil has got into air intake caused by heavy right foot :lol: :lol: smoke should disappear after a few miles.this i9s assuming engine is revving/running ok.if not oil/air separater may be faulty :?:

The usual reason for a bit of blue smoke on start up, is the result of a little oil being sucked out of the inlet valves and burnt off the exhaust valves after standing for a while.
With a little wear in the valve guides and the cam follower tappet buckets acting as pumps, it is not unexpected to get a liitle oil down the valves via the guides.
You might also note a little blue smoke after you come off engine overun, ie foot off the throttle and using the engine as a brake, when you return to power the added suction particularly on the inlet valves collects a little oil whic burns off when you open the throttle again.
This does not mean that the valve guides need replacing its just a little wear after 59K of motoring.
So Its not a problem. Infact you are also getting a bit of added lubrication in the piston crown and combustion areas .
Regards Big Bob :bye:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back