Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Amusing real-life car insurance claims

Porsche News

'Tis the season to be silly – here are some amusing reasons people have supplied when claiming on their car Insurance:

Struck by a flying Christmas tree:

Mr Fairclough was driving home from Christmas shopping when, on a bend, a car approached in the opposite direction with a large Christmas tree badly tied to the roof. 'He was driving too fast and I saw the tree lift off and it flew straight at me. The trunk made a great dent in my bonnet and caused me to run off the road and into a hedge." Mr Fairclough added: 'The chap didn't stop and he never came back for his tree!"

Cat and run:

A cat ran across the road and Mrs Carr did an emergency stop. In doing so, she was struck from behind by a Transit van and subsequently believed she had run over the cat. 'There was a terrible crash and it pushed my car sideways, causing an awful lot of damage to the back. The van driver got out to see if I was OK and I was telling him about the cat, which he hadn't seen – until amazingly, it suddenly ran out from under the car and disappeared."

Pulling the wool:

That's just what claims staff thought when Mr Carlton said he was driving home from the pub with a friend and, as they were going under the bypass a sheep landed on the bonnet of the car. 'It had come from a lorry that had overturned on the by-pass and in fright it jumped over the parapet," said Mr Carlton. The car was a write-off, but Mr Carlton didn't say what happened to the sheep.

One for sorrow:

Miss Pownall, a nurse, was on her way to work when a magpie flew in front of her carr. Remembering the saying about magpies, "one for sorrow, two for joy", she looked out for the second – and promptly ran into the car in front. She didn't say whether she ever saw a second magpie, so perhaps there is some truth in the old adage.

Concertina carols:

Mr Woodford was involved in a multiple accident in "sleety snow" on the M62. He said: 'I was in the middle of about a dozen cars and my car was bashed front and rear. The cars all crunched up like a concertina. While we waited for the recovery trucks, the chap from the car in front took out, of all things, a concertina! He was supposed to be playing at a carol concert so he started playing Christmas carols for us instead."

Family misfortune:

Mr McGuinness was following his son, who was about to trade in his car for a new one. The son made an emergency stop and unfortunately Mr McGuinness ran into the back of his car. 'I caused a lot of damage," he told the claims handler ruefully. 'It meant the part-exchange deal was off and my son couldn't buy the car he wanted after all. I wasn't very popular."

Crowd puller:

Two into one won't go, as Miss Simpson found at her local supermarket car park. 'We both went into the space at the same time and got jammed against the cars on either side. We were stuck fast and couldn't open the doors and the fire brigade had to rescue us. It was very embarrassing - we had about a hundred people laughing at us."

Simon Douglas, director of AA Insurance, said: 'It doesn't matter how bizarre the incident, you may be sure we've heard it all before."

Please note: the names have been changed to protect the embarrassed!

Attachments

• car_crash_773.jpg
    car_crash_773.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,540
  • car_crash_2_359.jpg
    car_crash_2_359.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,539

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member