Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Buyers Guide?

KissMyRs

Trainee
Hi

New to the Forum, Ex M3 CSL owner.

Looking at possibly buying a 997 C2S, ideally under 35k.

Went and saw one today, loved the way it drove, it just wasnt in the condition i'd of liked it to be... Atlas Grey with all extras, Tip with 38k miles, has a scuff on rear bumper and needs new tyres all round. He is willing to take £30,000 for it tho, which isnt bad i suppose.

Is it normal for them to be rough on idle? The rev counter moves up and down ever so slightly? This was the same when the engine was warmed up after the drive too.

Hello, trying to buy one at less than £35K will probably mean that you will have to live with the fact it is slightly less than perfect. Sometimes worth spending a few £k more to get one that doesn't need bumper respray, new tyres (which will be a grand), major service etc etc.

Your topic is buyers guide - i haven't ever seen a book on buying a 997 however all the major mags have done a 997 buying guide so check out the web site of Total 911 and 911 and Porsche World and go through the back catalogue and buy/download the appropriate one.

As for rough on idle, my car has Sports Exhaust and it has a slightly rough note at idle.

Its not that it sounds too rough on idle, but the rev counter actually judders slightly, continuoesly. Any idea what it could be? I dont want to buy it and spend more moeny fixing it.

I would also get someone like Peter Morgan to inspect the car - cost around £300 but money well spent IMO

I had a look at mine yesterday and mine seems to idle at around 1,000 rpm. Not so much of a judder but certainly hangs around that level.

As just said, if you are serious about buying it, get a proper Pre Purchase Inspection done, full mechanical report. It's the only way to buy a Porsche, especially if you want to buy safely at the bottom of the market.

Used Buyer Guide 997 from Peter Morgan
http://www.pmmbooks.com/

I think £30k is or (will soon) be ample for decent car, cut and paste Auto Trader ads on to a blank document, then re-visit Auto Trader 6 weeks later to view the same cars, and see the reductions.
Whats the difference between a scuff and repaired scuff? (About £5k actually)

Nice car & spec...

Agree though - the thing that would put me off personally is no parking senor or rear wiper. Either would do....but lack of any could see me bang the back.

agree, nice car though.

I would rather have rear wiper and parking sensors over sat nav

Put a deposit on this one today, cant wait to pick it up!

56 Plate, Aerokit, Sports Exhaust, Nav, Bose, Hardback seats etc...

831339-1.jpg

Slight question, the car has finance oweing on it from Porsche, whats the best thing to do? Shall i just pay the finance off directly, then pick up the car?

Technically speaking it is not the sellers to sell until he/she has settled the finance! In theory they should do that first, but if I were you I would get a bank draft payable to the finance company directly and give this to the seller as part payment.

Make sure you have seen the settlement figure in writing, and that it is still valid on the day the transaction takes place (with Porsche finance, it will probably be £xx,xxx + £y.yy per day if it is a daily interest type deal).

Personally I would phone the finance company to check the amount while you are there (including time taken for funds to clear).

Be careful... :thumb:

997 in seal grey

Interesting that the one on the autotrader link above has sold already, life in the 2nd hand market for the right car?

Seems like there is plenty of choice if you want silver, at all prices, and quite a few black. Fewer of the greys.

I'm looking for a seal grey one hoping it won't show the dirt too much, much as though I love black.

Anyone know a rough estimate of Porsche's hourly labour rate?

Setting up a warranty with WarrantyWise for the time being, 10k claim limit and £125p/h labour rate. Just wondering if OPC is under £125p/h?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back