Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 4 cylinder engines???

Tony Z

I read in a post somewhere on this site that there is rumour of new 914 based engines being released?

Any info on these?

Nope - so far just a speculative rumour and if it turns out to be true at least a year or more away from the market.

it would be nice to see.... I wonder if it would be aircooled
Half of the new flat 8 engine maybe?

with ownership of VAG, just as likely to be a modified VW 2.0 TFSi if they can get it to physically fit I'd have thought?

Tony Z said:
it would be nice to see.... I wonder if it would be aircooled

Given that the reason that they went water cooled in the first place was that they couldn't make air cooled pass emissions legislation, do not expect to see a new air cooled internal combustion engine on a production road car ever again :(

If you want aircooled, I am afraid that the pinnacle of automotive engineering for you is the 993... And cockpit ergonomics aside - there is nothing wrong with that 8)

mordred1973 said:
with ownership of VAG, just as likely to be a modified VW 2.0 TFSi if they can get it to physically fit I'd have thought?

An inline 4 will not fit into a boxer engine hole - the dimensions are all in the wrong direction. If they were to go this route then the whole car would have to be designed around an appropriate installation, so almost certainly no current Porsche DNA and a platform shared with an Audi (perhaps a TT replacement) and possibly a Volkswagen... I really hope not, but whichever way it would never be green-lit until Porsche had de-facto control over VAG and any union issues had settled IMHO...

well my mate who works for VW UK HQ has already had a letter telling him his contract is now with Porsche not Volkswagen Group UK......

Disco said:
Given that the reason that they went water cooled in the first place was that they couldn't make air cooled pass emissions legislation, do not expect to see a new air cooled internal combustion engine on a production road car ever again :(

I was always lead to believe they went watercooled cause they hit the limit of what they could achieve with the aircooled cylinder head and combustion chamber - cooling vs power vs airflow. And couldnt go 4 valve due to cooling issues...

Did this play any part?

Tony Z said:
Disco said:

I was always lead to believe they went watercooled cause they hit the limit of what they could achieve with the aircooled cylinder head and combustion chamber - cooling vs power vs airflow. And couldnt go 4 valve due to cooling issues...

Did this play any part?

I am sure that it was certainly a factor, but diminishing potential for growth would only ever be part of the equation - it is possible to get a fair bit more power out of a 993 than it shipped with after all. Also bear in mind that the early 996s didn't really have a lot more hp than the late air cooled cars.

I sadly cannot remember the source, but what I read at the time was that they didn't believe that the air cooled cars could be made to perform yet still meet US emissions requirements and it was a market that they couldn't afford to lose. Additionally there was a cost issue as the water cooled modular lump (and indeed the entire 996) was significantly cheaper to make. For all the derision heaped on it by the purists - without the water cooled 996 and Boxster it is unlikely that Porsche would have survived the 1990s...

And now they are buying Volkswagen...

interesting....

either which way it would be good to see what they come up with.
I am under the impression that for Subaru to build their flat 4 watercooled engine, they had to buy the design off VW. So Porsche will prob have to start with a completely new sheet of paper. I would guess for at least a main bearing between each big end, unlike in the VWs, where there were two big ends between each main bearing.
Dry sump?

So many questions, so few answers at the moment.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back