Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Facelifted Porsche Boxster Cayman revealed at LA Auto Show

Porsche News

'09 Boxster and Cayman will be faster and more economical

Porsche has freshened up the Boxster and Cayman range with a series of cosmetic tweaks and the new generation of engines. Visually the changes are subtle, consisting mainly of the fitment of new front and rear lights.

The new halogen headlights have integrated indicators which Porsche says are reminiscent of the Carrera GT supercar. There are fog lamps fitted as standard and de rigueur LED daytime running lights arranged in the air intakes. At the back there are new LED lights tapering out and new panels with diffuser inserts on the Boxster and a wind deflector plate on the Cayman.

Under the skin of the new cars lies the newly developed Boxer engines with more power on less fuel. Displacing 2.9 litres, the basic engine develops 255bhp in the Boxster and 265bhp in the Cayman, an increase by 10 and respectively 20bhp respectively over the preceding models.

The 3.4-litre power unit in the S-versions, benefiting from Direct Fuel Injection, now delivers 310bhp in the Boxster S and 320bhp in the Cayman S, up by 15 and 25bhp respectively. The Cayman S with PDK and Launch Control featured in the optional Sports Chrono Package accelerates to 62mph in 4.9 seconds, while the Boxster with its six-speed manual gearbox featured as standard reaches the same speed in 5.9 seconds.

All four models are available for the first time with the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, or PDK gearbox. Porsche says the system is carried over directly from motorsport and it replaces the former Tiptronic S. Fitted with PDK fuel economy is greatly improved over the outgoing model.

According to the EU4 consumption standard, the 2.9 Boxster and Cayman equipped with PDK record 26.3 mpg, an 11% improvement. The S-models use 16% less fuel than the previous Tiptronic S, managing 25.5 mpg.

Emissions of the engines have decreased also. Depending on model, emissions have been reduced by up to 16%. The Boxster and Cayman with the standard six-speed manual gearbox emits 221g/km CO2, and 214g/km CO2 when fitted with PDK. The Boxster S manual emits 223 g/km CO2, and 221 g/km CO2 with PDK.

The suspension has been tweaked in both cars to create a better drive and more comfort. Modification of the valve control map on the steering transmission serves furthermore to reduce steering forces, giving the Boxster and Cayman a 'more agile and spontaneous steering behaviour'.

The wheels come in new design and are half an inch wider on the basic models in order to accommodate the larger brake system of the S-models on the front axle. Both the Boxster and Cayman feature the latest generation of PSM Porsche Stability Management now offering two new functions: Brake Pre-Loading and the Brake Assistant.

The next generation Cayman and Boxster go on sale in the UK and Ireland from February 21 2009. The Cayman is priced from £36,870 and the Cayman S priced from £45,050. The Boxster is priced from £34,420 and the Boxster S priced from £41,250.

Customers will also be able to explore the dynamic attributes of their car, and develop their own skills behind the wheel, courtesy of a Driving Experience Programme at the new Porsche Driving Experience Centre at Silverstone.

More Pictures To Follow

Attachments

• porsche_cayman_s_interior_285.jpg
    porsche_cayman_s_interior_285.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 29,843
  • porsche_boxster_s_108.jpg
    porsche_boxster_s_108.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 29,843
  • porsche_cayman_s_1_144.jpg
    porsche_cayman_s_1_144.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 29,843

Attachments

• facelift_bc_473.jpg
    facelift_bc_473.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 29,815
Dan likes..

(I remember seeing the White Cayman at Manthey in Sept.- :worship: )

Attachments

• cayman_792.jpg
    cayman_792.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 29,792
Hmm..

White Cayman, Red leather inc. Buckets(white painted backs), white tunnel, let Manthey have a play with it (370 BHP)..

:worship:

Attachments

• cayman_4_213.jpg
    cayman_4_213.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 29,774
  • cayman_1_426.jpg
    cayman_1_426.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 29,774
  • cayman_2_106.jpg
    cayman_2_106.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 29,774
  • cayman_3_819.jpg
    cayman_3_819.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 29,774
Ruf Cayman - :?:

Attachments

• ruf_cayman_2_556.jpg
    ruf_cayman_2_556.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 29,764
  • ruf_cayman_1_739.jpg
    ruf_cayman_1_739.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 29,764
Quite suprised, the minor changes and new wheel designs look great!

The twin-spoke five arm design suit the shape a treat. The white Cayman looks tip-top...

Taran 8)

Sundeep said:
Daniel said:

that actually looks pretty nice, even if it's from the 911 parts shop :thumb:

I like that alot, if I ever want less power and no rear seats and no 911 badge I'll (maybe) look into that :wack:

It's a Porsche. It is no doubt a very capable car. Doesn't do much to stir the blood though imho :cry:

Stuart said:
Sundeep said:
Daniel said:

that actually looks pretty nice, even if it's from the 911 parts shop :thumb:

I like that alot, if I ever want less power and no rear seats and no 911 badge I'll (maybe) look into that :wack:

:hand: Its a RUF remember !

Yep, i doubt i'd ever get one tbh. I'd always just go for an older 911 instead...

Taran :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back