Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

18" Speedlines Wanted

Mark911

Nurburgring
I know I'm probably at the end of a long queue but I'm looking for a set of 8" & 10" 3.6 turbo style for my 993 C4S.

Most need a refurb which I don't mind having done providing they run true and are in reasonable condition to start with.

I read somewhere they were an option for the 993 turbo but I've never seen any 10" et40 rears, so I know I'll probably end up having to use spacers.

Agree Mark, never offered on the 993 TT. Good luck finding a set, original Speedos are rare!

Great reply Gary :worship: loads of help.

I checked them out but not quite right for me, but thanks for showing me a new hunting ground :thumb:

Mark don't forget the offset situation (although I don't know what the 964T wheels were offset wise)

Might be worth getting some RHs, new but in the correct offset for your car, so avoiding spacers etc

I may end up going with some RH's again (I had some AL cup 3pce on my targa) but if I buy new I want to check out whats available.
Kerscher have a 8x18 et48 & 10x18 et35 which would fill the arches a cheeky 4 & 5mm 8) - but I've never seen them in the flesh.

Mark911 said:
I may end up going with some RH's again (I had some AL cup 3pce on my targa) but if I buy new I want to check out whats available.
Kerscher have a 8x18 et48 & 10x18 et35 which would fill the arches a cheeky 4 & 5mm 8) - but I've never seen them in the flesh.

Hi Mark. There are plenty of options here.

As you said the RH AG cups are nice but quite heacy and not a true 3-piece construction. Better then to go with the RH-Rad 3-piece variant. These are fairly good quality but the deep lips are prone to bending. What does the roads where you live look like? Any potholes etc?

As far as RH vs. other makes, I'd say Kerscher makes the best 3 piece "speedline-look" wheels for our cars. They are 1.Stronger 2.Lighter and 3.Cheaper (believe it or not) than the RH-version. You might want to check with Kerscher though, because when I enquired on a set last year they were out of production (?). Another make to consider is the french tramont. Visit www.tramont.fr for more info (no affil). Those are more of the GT2 look 993 style speedline copies. A matter of taste..

When it comes to offset and wheel widths, IMHO with your wide body 993 you would want an 11" rear wheel with an offset close to 40 for the perfect fit. That would give you a nice deep lip in the rear and give you the opportunity to run 295 or even 315 tires in the rear for plenty of grip. Again this depends on what you will be using the car for.

As far as the original wheels you have two options; either the 993RS speedlines or the 964 turbo 3.6 speedlines. Offsets are as follows:

964 turbo 3.6 speedlines:

front 8x18 ET52. Bolt on fit, no spacer required.
rear 10x18 ET61. You need spacers for the rear, preferably ~30mm

fronts have 1.25" lip and rears have 1.75" lip on these.

993 RS speedlines:

front 8x18 ET52. Bolt on fit, no spacer required.
rear 10x18 ET65. You need spacers for the rear, preferably ~30mm

fronts have 1.25" lip and rears have 1.25" lip on these.

Speedlines are heavy but beautiful wheels. With all of the above being said, I ended up buying a used set of RH speedlines for my C2S (which I sold) last year. I would have opted for Kerscher but they didn't have any. The RH's have hold up pretty good as well. Mine are perfect for the WB 993:

fronts:

9x18 ET40 with rubber 235/40/18

rears:

11x18 ET40 with rubber 295/30/18

Lips are 2.25" and 3.5" front/rear

I don't really have any use for them right now so if you are interested I might sell them.. I was planning on a new WB 993 (or an RS) but I havn't found anything yet.. Anyways, good luck in your search for what I think are the best looking wheels for our cars..

Best,

Viggo

Hey Viggo, good to see you back on here mate :thumb:

Any pics of the wheels on your car?

993C2S said:
Hey Viggo, good to see you back on here mate :thumb:

Any pics of the wheels on your car?

Hi there buddy, long time :thumb: .

Unfortunately, I ran twists most of the time and only had the RHs on a short while before I sold my car. I have a pic of my wheels when they were on the previous owners car (993TT) and a pic of the wheels taking up space in my livingroom :). They are moved to the garage now due to complaints from the GF. OH the smell of rubber in the morning.. :mrgreen: .

Attachments

• 2_334.jpg
    2_334.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 9,603
  • 1_837.jpg
    1_837.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 9,603
Thanks Viggo for all the info - I think Asim might might be under the impression I've drawn you out of your closet :oops:

I had a reply from Kerscher today and they said I would need to use 10mm spacers to clear the brakes but I don't fancy having a double compromise of running replica's and spacers :nooo:

I can see your choice of 11" et40 rear's working OK but the 9" et40 fronts seem a little extreme. I'm also concerned about swapping tyre sizes as this may affect the 4wd system.

Have you seen the quality of the Tramont wheels ?
I found their website blurb very interesting as they seem to be able to manufacture to exact individual requirements.

Mark911 said:
Thanks Viggo for all the info - I think Asim might might be under the impression I've drawn you out of your closet :oops:

I had a reply from Kerscher today and they said I would need to use 10mm spacers to clear the brakes but I don't fancy having a double compromise of running replica's and spacers :nooo:

I can see your choice of 11" et40 rear's working OK but the 9" et40 fronts seem a little extreme. I'm also concerned about swapping tyre sizes as this may affect the 4wd system.

Have you seen the quality of the Tramont wheels ?
I found their website blurb very interesting as they seem to be able to manufacture to exact individual requirements.

Hi Mark, long time :).

"I think Asim might might be under the impression I've drawn you out of your closet". What do you mean by this? Sorry my english is not 100%.. hehe.

Regarding the Kerscher wheels - You are right. I wouldn't go with Kerscher unless I could get the exact offset I want. There's no point in running spacers and increasing unsprung weight. Futhermore, running spacers will not give you the deep lip in the rear, which is IMHO what makes them so beautiful (see pic above).

I've heard mixed feedback on the Tramonts. I don't think they are wuite as nice as the Kerschers.. IMHO, if you were to get the Tramonts, you would want to be 100% sure that this is the type on wheelcenter you want. The German wheels are "TàœF" approved, which at least gives me a sort of Insurance. I don't know if the Tramonts are..

I did a lot of homework before buying the RH wheels. The offsets are perfect. I double checked yesturday and the front offset is 9x18 ET52 and not ET40. Sorry for the confusion. Both the fronts and rears fit perfectly, no rubbing and enough clearance to run wider tyres. No fender rolling required. I also did a lot on reading on the Vicious Coupler (VC) of the 4wd cars. It's not as sensitive as one might think. What is important is that the rolling circumferance of the front and rear tires are not too far apart. Eventhough your choices are a little more limited than a C2S, you still have plenty to chose from. Stock is 225/40/18 f and 285/30/18 rear. 235/40/18 and 295/30/18 works fine and is not too far from the original front/rear rolling circumferance ratio. If you want to be aggressive with the rubber you can run 235/40/18 front and 315/30/18 rear. These two tires have identical rolling circumferance and is thus a better combo than the original.

Hope this helps. Oh and Cobalt blur is my favorite Porsche colour. You are one lucky guy :mrgreen: . I would have been all over your car if it was LHD.

-Viggo

Thanks for all the replies, tempting offers and ideas.

I have now ordered a set of brand spanking new 993 RS Speedines - the real McCoys 8)
I'm going to fit the Porsche 31mm rear spacers and standard tyre sizes. My Insurance company is ok with this combo as its all factory approved.

No I've not just won the lottery, but I'm sure I'll have no regrets going for the proper jobbies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back