Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The best car I have ever owned!

siy

Monza
Hi all, Just thought that I would share my recent experiences of the 997. I bought a 997 C4S cab about 2 months ago... I haven't had that much of an opportunity to drive it though, so went away this weekend, and drove it through the fabulous roads of the Brecon Beacons in Wales.

I was joined by my cousin in his F430 - and although I love the sound of the PSE, I must admit, that Ferrari sounds amazing (especially through tunnels!)

Back to the 997, I have to say it is the best car that I have ever owned! It's a true everyday car, with sports car performance.... Until this weekend, I was unsure about the power of it, but thought that the handling was incredible. In driving the F430, I thought that it felt far quicker, but in actual driving together, the fezza was unable to lose me - in fact the opposite, in one spirited blat through the twisties (all within the speed limits of course!), I left the 430 behind me. Apparently it had been bottoming out, so he had to back off.

I was genuinely in my element during that blast - really felt 'at one' with the car (sounds pathetic - but best way to describe it)...Knew exactly what is was doing, had 100% confidence in it, the 4 wheel drive is actually great fun to play with - I thought it may take away some of the fun, but it actually adds to it!

The 997 simply handles so well - nothing fazed it! I was really surprised even when out on the open straights, that I wasn't getting left behind.

Love it!

I've said it before - my 997 is the only car I have ever owned that I haven't bored of within 3 months. I came close to selling a few months ago for financial reasons but boy am I glad to have hung on to it.

Forget the depreciation, do I begrudge £x00 per month for the use of the machine - not at all.

Jamie said:
I've said it before - my 997 is the only car I have ever owned that I haven't bored of within 3 months. I came close to selling a few months ago for financial reasons but boy am I glad to have hung on to it.

Forget the depreciation, do I begrudge £x00 per month for the use of the machine - not at all.

ditto !

snap crackle & pop !

:D :D :D :D

Good write up on F430 vs 997 Cab though a bit surprised your cousin found it hard to keep up with you. Can't agree with you more on that Ferrari V8/ exhaust note; I was following (trying to) a F430 Spyder up on the M25 last night and I was just revelling in that sound! However, roll on the day when I'm fortunate enough to climb into my own 997!

~ Maxie :)

Believe me, no-one was more surprised by me...!
In a straight line, he really was not pulling far ahead of me, or not as much as Iw ould have expected anyway - but the twisties were just awesome - possibly down to driving style I guess... anyway, am not slatinh the F430 (If I could afford one then I would get one!) - just expressing how good the porker is... I am converted!

Jamie said:

Ditto in spades.

Just want to add the PSE and iPod connectivity. Have you had your mObridge intalled yet Jamie?

Clive

I have to say that after years of trying to ignore the existence of Porsche I'm now hooked.
The only car from my past that gave me the same feeling and absolute love of it was a 3.8 E Type in 1969 with 3 x 42 DCOE Carbs fitted and upgraded cams and exhaust, or was it a modified Aston Oscar India 1985 V8 Vantage in 1990 with getting towards a total of 500 gee gees of grunt?
Anyway I'm working on Mrs Big Bob to get her to think 997 GT3!
Regards Big Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back