Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 TT - Anything to be wary of?

David M

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi - may be doing a trade up this week to a 2007 997 TT from an OPC. Car has done 14k miles and seems to have all the options that I want. It is also a tip :oops:

Still haggling over the price of my 2003 996 TT which they seem to want FOC (any genuine cash offers over £35k considered!!).

Are there any issues emerging from ownership of these cars that I should look out for? The car will come with the balance of the Porsche warranty plus a further 12 months extended.

Thanks

.....only massive depreciation :eek:

Ditto, aside from cost of ownership you will find it is a solid car. Does what is says on the tin.

The main things to wary of with that particular model are unmarked police cars and speed cameras :D

Disappointment!

Many owners have expressed disappointment :(

Yes, it's fast, it's well put together but leaves most of the owners less than enthralled with the experience. Many have even said they preferred the lower-spec 997s.

I have heard that it lacks involvement in the drive so many prefer the twitchy feel of a C2S.

However if you are looking for power and stability it has the ronseal affect.

Damian said:
Disappointment!

Yes, it's fast, it's well put together but leaves most of the owners less than enthralled with the experience. Many have even said they preferred the lower-spec 997s.

I read this time and time again but what happens when you turn off the PSM? Most probably not advisable in the cold/wet but when warm/dry it might just put that twitch back into the drive ... anyone on here experimented with the PSM?

apw2007 said:
Damian said:
Disappointment!

I read this time and time again but what happens when you turn off the PSM? Most probably not advisable in the cold/wet but when warm/dry it might just put that twitch back into the drive ... anyone on here experimented with the PSM?

Understeer, intense understeer. Probably could be sorted with a good geo and a ARB change.

Damian said:
Understeer, intense understeer. Probably could be sorted with a good geo and a ARB change.

Forgive my ignorance - ARB change? :?

Rip said:
Damian said:

Forgive my ignorance - ARB change? :?

Anti-roll bar, on the 996/997 non-GT versions the ARB is not adjustable. Changing to adjustable ones gives you a little more control on the handling.

Had a reasonable test drive of a 7tt and concluded it was not a car i'd be changing to anytime soon, even leaving the massive future depreciation out of the question...

steering felt anethestised compared to my 6tt, suspension even in sport mode softer, and the engine sounded like a hoover. It also subjectively didnt feel any faster than my x50 on full attack, albeit for sure it was more responsive on part throttle.

Those were the main negatives, positives were a nicer more spacious interior, less turbo lag, the sophistication of the PASM, much better sports seats, and better driving position.

You certainly cant go wrong with a 7tt but it just didnt rock my boat.

Horses for couses.....for some of the very same reasons you mention I have just done a PX of my 996TT for a 997TT. My ass still feels sore from the deal but I am sure I will be smiling again when I collect this week unless I start to think about the "erosion of value through use and time :thumbs: " again.

My 996TT is the base model so immediately you have SatNav, heated seats, cruise, parking etc. It was also a 2003 black on black so beginning to rattle from the hard suspension and looked old compared to the newer interior. I really liked the combination of Meteor Grey with two tone leather interior.

It is a second car but I do try and use it on a regular/daily basis so I have also moved from a manual to a Tiptronic S. I was really impressed with the auto box and how flexible it was and will be much easier for the regular commute into Leeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back