Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone fixed the buzzing from the glove box lock...

ResB

Estoril
I'm going to take mine to bits today in an attempt to stop the bloody thing buzzing as its doing my head in.

Has anyone successfully done this as the OPC has tried twice and failed. Is it actually the barrel rattling in the housing or is it the handle rattling in is housing? I'm not sure. :?:

Might do a "how to take it to bits and forget how to put it together" post later :)

Right. Didn't take too long. About 1½ hours in total. I Believe I found what was rattling and there are two places actually.

One is the locking pin mechanism attached to the glove compartment itself. This was as simple as tightening two torque screws and applying some thread lock. (Picture taken with the mobile so not brilliant. Sorry)

This is where the more prominent rattle was coming from particularly the right hand screw. (very loose)

pin.jpg

The buzzing is indeed where the barrel of the lock is vibrating at certain frequencies and to be honest there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do about it. Perhaps apply some heat to the plastic and push it closer to the barrel housing. However, it could be inside the lock itself! So I took the option of applying some grease to the lock instead of doing anything I couldn't reverse. But it seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed.

lock.jpg

All you need is four different sized torque fittings and your set.

Thanks Sundeep. Hopefully it's worked. I'll know within a few days but I'm quietly confident about the rattle, but not sure about the buzzing from the lock housing itself. :?:

Can you come round my house please?? :thumb:

I can never work out where the buzzing and rattles come from. Drives me mad.

What usually happens Jamie is that you get someone who you think is fairly bright in the passenger seat to help you locate the noise. You point in the general direction of where it's coming from.

Then, the person points over the drivers side and says "I think it's coming from your side" pointing at the drivers side window....sends me scatty...when you know for a fact it's on the passenger side!!! :wack:

My wife and I are always trying to pinpoint the sounds and never come to a conclusion!

Jamie said:
My wife and I are always trying to pinpoint the sounds and never come to a conclusion!

Bet she could find a shoe shop no problem though. ;)

I thought I had a rattle in the glove box until I also looked at the door as a potential source of the rattle. Sure enough it was a gromet that fastens inside door panel assembly to door frame that was loose. It was the one at the bottom of the door frame (right above door sill) that was the culprit.

I to had the same rattle, but seeing as I never use the glove box, I just locked it & rattle gone :)

All I need fix now is the rattle on the dash board

nice post! spend half my life trying to pinpoint bloody rattles and squeaks!! wife thinks I'm nuts :frustrated:

Rattle!

I had a similar rattle and it sounded for all the world like it was coming from the glovebox/dashvent area.

It truned out to be from the plastic interior light cover.

I put my finger on it lightly and it stopped!

A tiny bit of hot glue to the edge then scraped off the excess with a fingernail and voila!! silence, except for the engine that is! :wink:

Amazes me why the rattles always seem to be on the opposite side to where you think they are :dont know: (according to her indoors) and dissapear for a few days then come back to be added too by a different one. :x Some days there are none at all. Have given up now.

I've located another and will provide some details when I get back later today. This one annoyed the hell out of me for ages....

Does anyone else have a rattle from around the interior light area? Haven't got round to dismantling and fixing yet...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back