Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster makes loud squealing noise when engine gets hot

boxstersrule

1998 Boxster with 121k miles on it. Bought it used. Recently when the car is driven and the engine gets hot, there is a loud squealing noise that comes from the engine compartment. I changed the drive belt, because it sounds like a noise made when the drive belt slips, but that did not help. If I have the air conditiner on, it helps stop the noise quicker when I rev the engine. Also, when I rev the engine and the rpms drop back down, the squealing stops, but it sometimes almost stalls the engine. I am going to replace the upper and lower idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley this week when the parts come in, but I wanted some advice as to whether or not it could be something else. It is expensive to just start replacing parts willy-nilly and would really like to get the problem resolved so I can drive the car again. Other than the noise, the car seems to operate fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome, I'd suggest taking it to an OPC or local independant garage for a proper diagnosis before chucking any money at it.

- Simon

stuck cat?

try the pipe trick. listen down a length of pipe like a stethoscope... isolate it that way.

I had the same thing, last year on my 996, and it was the upper belt pully bearing which was gone, which just goes with no warning, so watch what your doing if you have any long trips planned !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back