Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK OR MANUAL???

mottle

Trainee
HI EVERYONE, IM JUST ABOUT TO ORDER MY NEW 911S AND DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD HAVE PDK OR NOT. AS I HAVE ONLY DRIVEN 4X4'S WITH AUTO BOXES I COULD DO WITH SOME OF YOUR HELP IN CHOOSING. THE CONCEPT SOUNDS AWSOME BUT REVIEWS I READ SAY WITH NO PADDLE SHIFT AND GEARS THAT BUTTON PUSH INSTEAD OF PULL ETC SOME SAY GIVE IT A WIDE BEARTH AND STAY WITH THE MANUAL? MY CURRENT 4S IS MANUAL AND I LOVE IT! :D ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED :thumb: ANY OTHER "MUST SPECS" I SHOULD LOOK AT ?

I had one of the first 3.2 litre Audi TTs with their DSG gearbox. The car itself was awful but the box was out of this world. I only found two problems with it and they were that the kickdown over rode the manual capabilities of the box which could be annoying on the motorway. The other was that you couldn't pull away in 2nd gear, as you might in the snow, because the gearbox computer engages first when you are at a standstill.

If I were in the market for a new 911, I would definitely consider this type of box.

Hi Mottle... Can I just ask you to find that little button on the left hand side of your keyboard and turn the volume down a bit for future posts please? :)

There is another thread somewhere recently asking exactly the same question, and with quite a few opinions... If you do a search for PDK I'm sure you'll find it. :thumb:

Try a demo at your local OPC.

From what I've read they're a superb development. Check out Evo, Autocar etc

I think only time will tell which one is more popular. The demos are arriving at dealerships mid July and I think you really need to get out and try one for yourself. I hope to be trying one at Silverstone mid July - as are a few people and we will give our full opinions then.

if you have to order a new car right now, go for the manual which you currently enjoy. If you can wait, then do so and get a good run in a PDK - a test drive is the only basis upon which I would make such a decision. The mags, other people's opinions, etc can help in a supplementary way, but only you can know which you prefer - after driving them. Great position to be in though!

Peter

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back