Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ducati own the rights to 998 and 999, so then what......

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
will the next model generation of 911 be called

the factory has already named the development program as the '991'

but not sure how that will actually work when you have to explain after the 997 comes the 991 but not the 996 or 997

so what do you all think ?

Oh dear, not sure Porsche thought out the numbering series so well.

90x = was the 901 until the french told 'em no !
91x = used before, 917
92x = used before, 924
93x = used before, 930, 935
94x = used before, 944
95x = Cayenne, 955, 956
96x = been used, 964, 968
98x = Boxster ,986, 987
99x = current, 993, 996, 997

maybe a complete new numbering code ?

As it is sold under the 911 name and not 996, 993, 964 etc will this actually be an issue?

Do you think Ducati would dispute or mind Porsche using 998 and 999?

I wouldn't have thought they would, but who know's.

I quite like and hope they use the 991 nomenclature. I know it's a bit confusing and illogical with regards to the increasing number series, but tbh it's only the Porsche and car officianado's that use series names, and therfore they'd be up on what the '991' is. To others who simply know the car as the 'new' 911, it won't matter the slightest!

Taran :food:

tazsura said:
Do you think Ducati would dispute or mind Porsche using 998 and 999?

Unknown as if they made cars, yes but as they make bikes it may not be a factor as it's in theory an internal number

but as Porsche have already called the 998 the 991, may be they have already decided ? :?:

may have been a cheeky call from Ferrari to Ducatti to ensure they have kicked up a fuss about it, internal Porsche number or not :what:

Ducati could not do a thing about it - 996 / 997 do not exist as car names, they are purely internal reference numbers for a project and have no significance for marketing purposes.

For example - how many people know what an L220 is? I know there are a fair few people on here that own one :wink:

I'm pretty sure you can't trademark a set of numbers.
It's why Intel released the Pentium after the 8086, 286,386 and 486 when they couldn't prevent the likes of AMD marketing their own 486 and 586.
So Porsche can call it whatever their marketing department chooses.

Mick

At Merc, internal numbers go all over the place and there is not a great deal of concern about it. The old CLK was 208, the current 209 and the new one next year is 207!

Ducatti had a 996 as well so I do not think it is necessarily a problem and a reason for Porsche to change direction although they are probably the most "visible" with their internal codes as car manufacturers go and it almost represents a known sub brand.

Chauch said:
Ducatti had a 996 as well so I do not think it is necessarily a problem and a reason for Porsche to change direction although they are probably the most "visible" with their internal codes as car manufacturers go and it almost represents a known sub brand.

Yeah, and Porsche used 916 before Ducati used it and Porsche didn't complain about that either.

Some car companies do everything they can to keep the internal codes secret by the way.

Friend of mine offered me a nice '998 number plate the other day..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back