Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New car insurance - mods?

spluff

When getting Insurance if you have chosen options like different wheels, sports chrono, bose, sports exhaust do these need to be mentioned as modifications?

Yes, I believe so. Otherwise it gives them an option to throw out your claim - i.e. it got stolen because you had extra expensive wheels!!

So long as it's a standard extra (if that's not a contradiction) and doesn't increase BHP then it shouldn't add much if anything to your quote.

jonathanwalters said:
So long as it's a standard extra (if that's not a contradiction) and doesn't increase BHP then it shouldn't add much if anything to your quote.

Thats' what I am told also. My Insurance company said the same thing.

My thoughts are, that the "Options on the Car" at purchase reflect in the "Purchase Price" and the insured Value that you advise per your Insurance Contract. Were you asked to list the Options originally?
If you add options after Purchase and Initial Insurance, there is a case for declaration. But the Modifications the Insurers are normally asking about are those that Improve Performance from the Standard Car.
Hope that helps.
Big Bob

I've got everything 'significant' mentioned, options and then the extra £18k of mods

in the event of the claim I only expect to get a fraction but worth getting it all mentioned

but little things are hardly worth the hassle

on my old 993, i was with one of the online insures and adding a £50 sports air filter added £200 to my premium ! so is it really worth mentioning ?

Sundeep said:
on my old 993, i was with one of the online insures and adding a £50 sports air filter added £200 to my premium ! so is it really worth mentioning ?

Do you think the additional premium was because fitting a sports filter made you a riskier prospect in their eyes rather than the cost of replacing the filter itself?

Right. First thing is you may wish to specify the options to the Insurance company as when it comes to claiming they may not pay the full amount unless you can justify why your car cost more than the current standard car. Just because the dealer ripped you off for example isn't a reason the Insurance company will pay that amount again - just a point....
So detailing options can help to ensure you get the right payout later. Many policies have fine print and say they will pay the Agreed value (small font - or the market value whichever is less)....

Secondly the Insurance company wants to know mods to decide if you're a menace on the road.... yep, that's the way they see mods as statistically people with mods crash more! Anything that could affect the road worthiness, increase performance etc are reasons to deny a claim and as with all Insurance, not declaring anything they say you should could find you paying a premium for a policy that won't pay up......

This is my experience in my dealings with Insurance companies....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back