Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Really costly mistake today

Chris W

Anyone hazard a guess at what I did today and how much its going to cost to fix? :oops: :oops: :frustrated: Its going to cost lots and lots and was a really stupid mistake. Involves my company car thankfully not the 911.

993C2S said:
Filled up with petrol in ya 'D? :?

:thumbs:

Hazard a guess how much - I am gobsmacked!

Don't tell me you fired it up? :eek:

In which case a HUGE figure. I'd guess about £2k?

Drove it about 500 yds then it started missing a few beats and I stopped immediately...on a major busstop which was not very funny with those poxy 18m things coming every 2 minutes for 1.5hrs....I was getting evils from just about everyone.

£2k...nope keep going

Oh dear... :(

A numptie from the Highways Agency did this in a Discovery and drove it til it stopped - £7500 bill followed.

Then, 9 months later, the same driver did the same thing again in the same car - another £7,500!!!!

Now you know why they need so many speed cameras... :wink:

Not calling you a numptie by the way Chris :oops:

Well, not unless you've also done it before of course... :lol: :lol:

Wattie said:
Not calling you a numptie by the way Chris :oops:

Well, not unless you've also done it before of course... :lol: :lol:

Never done it before but I feel like a complete plank to be honest....could have said a 'firend' but I though you could all do with a laugh so please have one on me. Trouble is I was thinking I'll put the good stuff in now they do this super diesel variants. Hadnt eaten all day and was totally thinking about work. Apparently it really is very common so please do remind people so they understand how bloody expensive a mistake it is!

Anyway...as Mastercard would put it, here's the bill so far:

Full tank of high grade unwanted fuel...£70
Breaking down on a West London High St bus stop...priceless
1.5 hr wait for tow truck wait...priceless
1.5 hr Taxi back to the office ...£50
Estimate cost from BMW....at least £4k possibly £5k!!

Apparently some insurers do pay out on this so will find out tomorrow.

Chris W said:
Apparently some insurers do pay out on this so will find out tomorrow.

Yep, most do... Assuming you didn't do it deliberately it must therefore have been an accident - and that's what you have Insurance for isn't it? :)

Perhaps use some of the ideas from that old Volkswagen advert to stop you doing it again :food:
Anyway commiserations. :(
Big Bob

This is why running cars on heating oil should be banned :frustrated:

I have a confession to make :oops:

I did this to my Taxi 2 weeks ago :oops:

luckily for me I A) didn't start it up as I realised my mistake at the pump and B) all it cost me was £200 including the wasted fuel..........and 2 hours of not earning............the recovery company managed to get me back on the road by 4am after me doing this at 2am

I did this last year, in a Pug 206 1.4HDI. Drove 12 miles after I filled up with petrol then the thing died.
RAC towed me to a garage who emptied the tank of Petrol refilled it with Diesel and its been fine since.
The deal seems to be the desiel fuel lubes the High pressure pump and without the lube the pump fails (and the pump is expensive).
But I think there is alot of scare mongering about the impact of Petrol in a diesel especially if you haven't run it for miles on the Petrol.
The garage that sorted me out said this, BMW and Merc (even more expensive fixed price quote to fix) I believe have this fixed pricing approach to the problem which is very much worse case - they replace everything as a matter of course.

Now diesel in a petrol that is expensive bunged up injectors etc.. but the bigger filling nozzle on diesel pumps should prevent you doing that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back