Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carrera S Oil Pressure

action99

Just picked up my 2006 Carrera S, loving it!! Just wondered what the consesus was re oil pressure, the gauge is reading 5bar pretty much all the time, when I check the oil level its about 3/4 so all appears ok...the manual say that the gauge shuld read 3.5 at 3500rpm......anyone got any experience?

Should have said it was bought from an OPC and was serviced before collection.

I have been looking at this myself as my guage is always at 5 too (same age/model bought a few weeks ago from OPC) so if anyone can let us know if this is a problem or not I would love to know too.

I'll double check mine tomorrow, just for comparison. :thumb:

Mine reads high when the car is either cold or running at high revs...
Drops to the lower numbers on tick over after it has fully warmed up..

garyw

My manual states it should be at 3.5 at 5,000 rpm when the engine is warm. Anyway, whilst in the car today mine pretty much stayed at 5 bar!!

Something isn't right is it?

Mine always seems to be at 5, and that was from new.

Never really understood what it's all about anyway. Does any other car have an oil pressure gauge?

Oil Pressure

I have had my 997 C4S for a month, it has just been in to PC for a pre warranty check and passed OK

My oil pressure is always at 5, hot or cold, long or short journeys. It seems to be "normal" !!

HI ALL. MY 997 4S ALSO RUNS AT 5 WHEN AT HI REVS BUT DROPS TO AROUND 3.5 WHEN LETTING OFF THE GAS!! ACCORDING TO MY OPC THEY SAY ITS QUITE NORMAL AND NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT :thumb:

If your oil level is okay there is generally nothing to worry about with oill pressure being too 'high'. Depending on the specific viscosity of your oil (eg.10w/40 denotes cold and hot viscosity capabilities respectively) there will be a difference, particularly when the engine is not fully warm (ie. 10w will be more viscous and give higher pressure than 5w). 5w will however be slightly 'runnier' when cold so helps initial lubrication on cold start-up (and more likely to give more smoke on start-up as it runs into the cylinders more easily). Other than that you'll probably find that if you give the car a proper thrash on a decent run, including a bit of traffic etc. then with no revs at idle you should see it drop into the 3-4 region of the gauge. I don't think it is anything to worry about...a good oil pressure is generally a good sign that the bottom end is nice and tight (no ambiguous comments please!). Hope that helps.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back