Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on GT3

Cavham

I bought my first Porsche carerra C4S 996 2004 about 3 months ago and I am hooked. I am now thinking about getting a GT3, just wanna go faster.

I love the 996 look but getting confused between the differences between Mark 1, 2 or 3. Is it just body styling or is there a lot more to this?

My questions are:
Is the warrenty cost, a lot more than a 4S from an OPC at £900 ish?
What is the service levels miles and time?
What are the major costs expected and at what milage?
What should I watch out for?
I am asking to much to get a 2004 one for around £50,000 is this the right price for a 2003/ 2004 one?

Many thanks

Richard

Cavham said:
I bought my first Porsche carerra C4S 996 2004 about 3 months ago and I am hooked. I am now thinking about getting a GT3, just wanna go faster.

I love the 996 look but getting confused between the differences between Mark 1, 2 or 3. Is it just body styling or is there a lot more to this?

My questions are:
Is the warrenty cost, a lot more than a 4S from an OPC at £900 ish?
I am asking to much to get a 2004 one for around £50,000 is this the right price for a 2003/ 2004 one?

Many thanks

Richard

There's no Mk3 GT3, only Mk1 and Mk2. The Mk2 will be similar to your 4S cosmetically ie. glovebox, alcantara roof, headlights, clocks etc, the Mk1 more like a pre-facelift car. The Mk1 has less power, smaller brakes than a Mk2 but the Mk1 is a slightly lighter car.

Service intervals on a MY2004 are the same as your 4S, the warranty the same price too.

There's no RMS issue to worry about like the Carreras, brakes cost considerably more on the GT3 Mk2, but tyres are quite similar in price, the GT3 seems to be easier on them than the 4S as it's much lighter in weight.

Finding a GT3 should be done carefully, ask around forums like this and remember provenance is key, there's far too many GT3s with 'history', when you find the right one do your homework, get it inspected etc etc

Sorry to disappoint but unless you are on the track the GT3 will not be quicker than the 4S, the pliant suspension on the 4S makes it a better car for day to day use than a GT3.

Damian is correct - what are you wanting to use the car for?

If it is just road driving than you'd be much better off with a 996TT.

If its for track then a GT3....but be prepared to seriously hike up the maintenance costs compared to a road driven C4S.

I love the look of the GT3. In the main it will be used on the road, I do most track days on my bikes but would do some more with a GT3.

If I get a another car it will be a weekend toy along with the taking it to work as it is 60 miles a day round trip and I know the milage will kill it, so a little run around will be needed

With my C4S I know my C4S is around £250 for a minor service and £450 for a majpr subject to other things needed.

Interesting what Damian said about the history, it sounds that you need to be careful?

GT3's are pretty much bullet proof. Really all your interested in knowing is whether it has been badly binned into an immovable object. Obviously the engines are very special so a problem would be costly, but the likelihood of a problem is remote.

Most likely the biggest mistake you would make buying one would be not picking up the impending maintenance work which could leave you broke in no time...

Brakes are expensive to work on....again as they are tracked normally so go through brakes more. If it needs discs.... ouch.

Radiators for engine and air con get damaged by stones etc due to them not coming with grills on the front but I believe this is a 996'ism not just a gt3'ism.

Obviously tyres - but you can check that yourself.

Engine coils, but again, much like any Porsche. Consumable item...

At the end of the day your PPI will pickup probable / due maintenance issues. If it picked up a major issue, run like the wind.

If there was one issue to check for it would be the gearboxes. I've read a few people having synchro issues....

Remember, the fact it's previously been tracked means nothing, assuming it has been maintained to match. They are made to be tracked and have some of the best engineering built into them to help them cope....

Cavham said:

My questions are:
Is the warrenty cost, a lot more than a 4S from an OPC at £900 ish? Extended warranty is the same price: £895.
see the service schedules in: http://www.911uk.com/viewforum.php?f=36
consumables are about the same as for any other 996 unless the car is tracked in which case they will be higher through sheer attrition. Servicing is standard menu pricing through an OPC or [better] and independent like JZM (prices on their website).
Just get a PPI done by either JZM, Parr or Fearnsport, and they should tell you all you really need to know. The GT3 is one of the most reliable/best engineered 911s ever.
imho I wouldn't pay more

Many thanks

Richard

thanks guy's and Polar for the info. It great starting point and what tpo keep an eye out for. Let the search begin

Can I ask one very stupid question, do GT3 not the RS have rear seats as with C4S? I have seen a few with none is this normal.

Cavham said:
Can I ask one very stupid question, do GT3 not the RS have rear seats as with C4S? I have seen a few with none is this normal.

Officially all GT3s have no rear seats.

And a real man's GT3 has plumbing in the back (read rollcage) to make seats impossible...:)

*****, this means the dream of a gt3 are on hold. I have to do a few work miles a month and the wife uses the car to take the kids to school. With the 4S i have not a problem. I just can not buy another car.

Cavham said:
*****, this means the dream of a gt3 are on hold. I have to do a few work miles a month and the wife uses the car to take the kids to school. With the 4S i have not a problem. I just can not buy another car.

If you can find a GT3 with standard seats you could get rear seats fitted, all the mounting holes are there, you can get Quickfit in Stanmore (not Kwik Fit) to fit seatbelts in the rear. Just make sure your Insurance company will allow this and the V5 on the GT3 doesn't have a 2-seat only designation.

Generally GT3s with standard seats and no cage are cheaper than the more track-orientated ones.

Hope this helps!

Damian

Damian said:
Cavham said:

If you can find a GT3 with standard seats you could get rear seats fitted, all the mounting holes are there, you can get Quickfit in Stanmore (not Kwik Fit) to fit seatbelts in the rear. Just make sure your Insurance company will allow this and the V5 on the GT3 doesn't have a 2-seat only designation.

Generally GT3s with standard seats and no cage are cheaper than the more track-orientated ones.

Hope this helps!

Damian

so still a possibility although ride quality would be harder for your rear passengers, if you get them in

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back