Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Facelifted Turbo to loose it's GT1 Engine ?

Porsche

From the Internet rumour mill, across on Rennteam, regarding the facelift 997 Turbo moving from the current 'professional grade' GT1 engine to a 'consumer grade' M97 engine from the Carrera and fitting twin turbos.

that the upcoming facelift 997TT will incorporate the standars 997 engine with turbo chargers. The existing turbo cars, of course, have the modified old GT1 engine wich will not be cost effective for Porsche anymore. Indeed with the base 997 added turbo chargers.

Porsche will make approx. USD 10k to 20k more on each car Vs. the GT1 derived engines.

Now we need to wait and see if he is right or not. Based on my past experience he is been right 9 out of 10 times.

or could this be the first step away from a Flat-6 to a Flat-8 ?

if they stick to a 6 cyl engine I hope it helps residuals on the older cars! :D

Sorry, I know nothing much about the 997, but these comments raised my curiosity:

Do the references above to GT1 engine in the 997TT mean its engine is derived from the old GT1 racing Porsche? If so, I thought that was in some way vaguely based on the 993...?????

Tim, Yes... same block as GT2/3 the old racing GT1 engine with additional bracing supports etc..

garyw

Flat -8, V8 or V10 ??

I have heard all these ideas !

thanks garyw!

The shell of the GT1 was based on a 993, somewhere in there was a 993 monocoque :p

The bottom end of the GT1 engine was a 964.
The top end had watercooled heads.

The closest to the GT1 is actually the Mk1 GT3... :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back