Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nurburgring, Nordschleife Safety Video.

Daniel

Another one..

Attachments

• safety_english_212.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 76
Nice find.

A long over due video

Nurburgring Insurance

The Nurburgring Nordschleife is a one-way toll road open to the public at times advertised on the official Nurburgring website. The Germans refer to this as tourist driving ("Touristenfahrten").

The Nurburgring Nordschleife is open to road legal motor vehicles capable of a minimum speed of 60 kmh. It is common to see a wide variety of motor cars, motorbikes, coaches and taxis.

German road traffic law ("StVO") applies to the whole of the Nurburgring Nordschleife. StVO 3.1 states that a driver may only drive so fast that he is always in control of his vehicle. The driver must adjust his speed according to road, traffic, visibility and weather conditions. There are numerous advisory and mandatory road signs around the route.

There are some speed restricted parts of the Nurbrurgring Nordschleife. In particular, a 50 kmh limit applies to the first 200 metres from the main entrance. A 90kmh limit applies to the approach to the exit at Breidsheid and a limit reducing from 120 kmh to 50 kmh applies to the main exit. The remainder of the road is destricted. In other words there is no speed limit for the majority of the route.

The General conditions for driving on the Nordschleife state that racing and speed record attempts are forbidden (as per StVO 29.1). Drivers of non-German registered cars must have proof of Insurance and the car must be road legal (therefore taxed and MOT'ed if required). The German courts have ruled that an insurer cannot escape liability during tourist driving.

Overtaking is as per the continental rules of the road; so on the left only and you must keep to the right when not overtaking. The Nordschleife is deemed to have two lanes. However, there are no road markings down the centre. The police will attend and investigate road traffic accidents and where blame is found then a prosecution may follow.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 prohibits a UK insurer from excluding minimum level cover anywhere in an EU member state in a place where Insurance is mandatory. Any clause in an Insurance policy seeking to exclude mandatory cover is of no effect; see s. 145(3) and s. 148 of the Road Traffic Act.

The cover required by law is minimum level cover. Therefore, third party only. If you require comprehensive cover then you should ask your Insurance broker for this. It is also necessary to inform your insurer that you are travelling to Germany prior to departure. You do not need a Green Card for Germany.

Your Insurance policy will probably contain a clause to the effect that if the insurer is obligated to meet a claim it otherwise would not pay then the insurer is entitled to reclaim the settlement from the policy holder. The only recourse in this situation would be to argue that the term is unreasonable therefore subject to the Unfair Contract Terms legislation and not enforceable. This has not been tested in the UK courts with reference to the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Definitly there are certain rules which should be taken serious by all users of the Ring. But also in many cases unexperianced drivers do overestimate their driving abilities. As someone who has experianced the track in more than 4000 laps in racing and driver coaching I can see many people with powerfull sports cars driving much too fast with almost no or only a little practical experiance. You can definitly not practice the Ring on the "Playstation" for a few hundred laps in theory and asume you are fit for the Ring. Theoretical and practical training are totally different from each other. When I see people driving the Ring I can say maybe 5% are good drivers.

Well my heard is bleeding when I see a crashed GT3 RS on the Nordschleife. And I see it often. Not only Porsche also other expensive sports cars. Some weekends produce 500.000 Euros of damage and even more. Some people take up the service of an instructor like me but much too less drivers. Many people who should take an instructor think they belong to the 5% mentioned above. Nobody admits he belongs to the 95% who should take external help.

Furthermore I recommend using a helmet on the track even though it is not obligatory to wear a helmet at the Nordschleife. This reduces heavy head injuries considerably in case of a crash. Conscious Nurburgring drivers always wear a helmet!

Last but not least I give you 1 video clip of a participant who learned to drive fast and safe:

http://www.race-training.com/videos/nordschleife1.wmv

Rgds.
Oliver

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back