Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Blistering around windscreen

DocT

Guys!

A car that I've just had a look it has some (although not extensive) blistering around the windscreen. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the 964 and how easy is it to fix?

Cheers for all your advice!

James

From what I read when researching to buy, this occurs after a bad windscreen replacement. It's rectified by having the windscreen out and a good bodyshop doing the repairs.

It might be one to avoid :?

common fault, poor design by Porsche. Depending on where the rust is you may have to blend into the roof.

Just had the rear screen bubbles done on mine

It's important to catch it early otherwise it's a case of chopping the corroded section out and welding in a plate.

Seagull said:
It's important to catch it early otherwise it's a case of chopping the corroded section out and welding in a plate.

Looked at a 993 that had this done when looking for my first 911... Oh dear, it had been done not well !

Seems to be a complete lottery whether this affects you or not. I had to have my 45k mile RS (that has been garaged its entire life) repaired earlier this year, whereas my previous 160k mile C2 which lived outside in all weathers never suffered from this.

It is pretty common, and should not put you off a car per se, just worth getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

Jamie

Jamie Summers said:
Seems to be a complete lottery whether this affects you or not. I had to have my 45k mile RS (that has been garaged its entire life) repaired earlier this year, whereas my previous 160k mile C2 which lived outside in all weathers never suffered from this.

It is pretty common, and should not put you off a car per se, just worth getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

Jamie

it may also be a function of usage- track use/hard driving might involve a little more body stress than gentle road driving, hence weakening the joints/allowing water in.

Hard-driven F355s get corrosion on the rear buttresses in a similar scenario.

Jamie Summers said:

Jamie

Ditto to that, my old 993 suffered from this and got it fixed just in time under the Porsche 10 year rust guarantee

slight blisters on mine, planning to get the screen out and things cleaned up before it goes any further, those blisters can be like an iceberg, small on top and massive underneath!

smtk said:
common fault, poor design by Porsche.

It appears to have been a fairly common design for windscreens to be installed at the time. Porsche weren't the only company of that era... BMWs of the same era suffer from exactly the same problem as they had the same design.

what was the cause, no enough rust proofing or something to do with the drain channels or something different ?

One of 2 things depending on whether the glass had been removed before:

1) Abrasion between the seals and bodywork caused by movement of the glass, or

2) after a windscreen was removed by cutting the glass out with a cheesewire. The wire would score the bodywork to baremetal, and then when the new seal was put in, there was no protection reapplied to the metal.

In both cases water is trapped between the seal and bodywork and bingo... the water drained to the base of the pillar and just collected there without draining...

PolarExpress said:
In both cases water is trapped between the seal and bodywork and bingo... the water drained to the base of the pillar and just collected there without draining...

I couldn't believe it when i discovered all that water sitting under the seal then finding out there's no drainage for it :shock:

very poor design :x

I'm suprised by the lack of design but then again I guess every design has its flaws.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back