Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 shift mech in a 996 GT3

Carrera4S

Banned
Ok guys, installed and fitted this part (997 424 010 00) into my 2003 GT3.

I would suggest those fitting a shifter look at the instruction the B&M guys put together (http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf) as this gives quite a good series of instructions to follow.....with the important pictures!

The first thing to note is the construction of the 997 part over the 996, gone is the white plastic pivot point replaced with a black plastic reinforced by the metal plate (below) what you can't see clearly in this picture is that Porsche have raised the pivot for the vertical movement above the height of the horizontal.

Beneath all of this you can see Porsche have also straighted up the angles of the cables, IIRC they were tilted downwards now they are flat, this alone should smooth things out.

People have asked about alignment. There's a green alignment tool included with the kit (just make sure the car's in neutral before removing everything) which locks the lever in the neutral position and it's then a task of slipping in the cables.

On the subject of the cables, I marked my cables when I tried the B&M SSK (awful on GT3, far too short and painful!) so I was a little surprised to see that the markings didn't align to the new alignment, one notch vertical, 3 notches on the horizontal. So I must assume that the geometry of the 997 part is that little bit different.

So how does it feel? Well I haven't tried it yet, trying to avoid the placebo effect of a new part! The trouble is every time I replaced a shifter in the past they feel great for a week or so then it slowly feels crappy. The B&M felt great initially but I fell out with it over the next 3-4 weeks, then I replaced it with a standard 996 one, felt great but then started to feel too much like there was some obstruction.

I'll let you guys know my thought over the coming weeks!

Damian

Attachments

• 997_short_shift_118.jpg
    997_short_shift_118.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 345
  • shift_183.jpg
    shift_183.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 345
Hi Damian,

Right, stooopid end-of-day question... [clearsthroat]

Which part is your new shifter?...the top black one, or the lower blue one? The part number you mention matches the black item, so guessing this is you new 997 unit. Is this a standard Carrera-type 997 item or a stock (non short shift) 997 GT3 jobbie?

If so, what is the blue shifter? (cant quite make out the 997 xxxx part number)...is that a 997 GT3 Short Shift (ie the tequipment item)

Sorry if this is a dumass question...been "one of those days"!!! :?
Ta
S

Damian,

This is an interesting mod. Couple of Qs:

1) How much is the part?

2) How long did it take to install?

3) What's the build quality like?

4) How much shorter is the throw of the 997SSK compared to the standard 996?

My main concern with the OEM 996 shift is that it was made of plastic and I've seen it fail (ie, disintegrate) at the worst time on track. Is the 997 unit any better than the 996 unit?

Spenny_B said:
Hi Damian,

Which part is your new shifter?...the top black one, or the lower blue one? The part number you mention matches the black item, so guessing this is you new 997 unit. Is this a standard Carrera-type 997 item or a stock (non short shift) 997 GT3 jobbie?

If so, what is the blue shifter? (cant quite make out the 997 xxxx part number)...is that a 997 GT3 Short Shift (ie the tequipment item)

Ta
S

Ooops, not to worry...just seen your captions which tells me which is which.

So, am i right in thinking you've just installed a standard 997 shifter (ie non short shift?)....judging by the part numbers you mention and those in the pic....

Spenny_B said:
Hi Damian,

Ta
S

Hi Spencer,

The part I installed is the black, standard 997 part (997 424 010 00)

The blue one is 997 424 983 00, that's the 'upgrade' 997 short shift, I suppose it could be quite nice if we had a Aisin gearbox :)

I didn't go for the short one, anyone who tried any short shift in a 996 GT3 will know how 'tricky' (read: stiff and awkward) they can be.

Damian

PolarExpress said:
Damian,

1) How much is the part? £120-130 at your OPC

2) How long did it take to install? Me, 25-30mins, but I have done it before

3) What's the build quality like? Greatly improved, metal reinforced plastic, strengthers in the cradle itself

4) How much shorter is the throw of the 997SSK compared to the standard 996? Ade, it's the standard 997, not a SSK, but it appears to be shorter, although that might just be the changed geometry

My main concern with the OEM 996 shift is that it was made of plastic and I've seen it fail (ie, disintegrate) at the worst time on track. Is the 997 unit any better than the 996 unit? The plastic joints that attach the lever to the cables are still there I'm afraid, now do you get the Cup 'bits' or the Evoms replacements that's another issue!

Damian said:
Spenny_B said:
Hi Damian,

Ta
S

Hi Spencer,

The part I installed is the black, standard 997 part (997 424 010 00)

The blue one is 997 424 983 00, that's the 'upgrade' 997 short shift, I suppose it could be quite nice if we had a Aisin gearbox :)

I didn't go for the short one, anyone who tried any short shift in a 996 GT3 will know how 'tricky' (read: stiff and awkward) they can be.

Damian

Ahhhh, I see...with you now!...cheers for the clarification. Just need to know if you reckon its better now!

S

Damian said:
PolarExpress said:
Damian,

1) How much is the part? £120-130 at your OPC

2) How long did it take to install? Me, 25-30mins, but I have done it before

3) What's the build quality like? Greatly improved, metal reinforced plastic, strengthers in the cradle itself

4) How much shorter is the throw of the 997SSK compared to the standard 996? Ade, it's the standard 997, not a SSK, but it appears to be shorter, although that might just be the changed geometry

My main concern with the OEM 996 shift is that it was made of plastic and I've seen it fail (ie, disintegrate) at the worst time on track. Is the 997 unit any better than the 996 unit? The plastic joints that attach the lever to the cables are still there I'm afraid, now do you get the Cup 'bits' or the Evoms replacements that's another issue!

Cheers D! :)

(where's that banghead smiley regarding the plastic cable joints... :x )

Nice mod, be interesting to see how you rate the shift mech over time, as I always thought the 996 gear shift was a tad long, although the shirt-shifters i have seen do make it too short ?

:D

Sundeep said:
Nice mod, be interesting to see how you rate the shift mech over time, as I always thought the 996 gear shift was a tad long, although the shirt-shifters i have seen do make it too short ?

Drove her for a couple of hours today, open road and in traffic around Leamington and Stratford and it's definitely shorter. It's not a B&M/Porsche short-shift short (ie. 30%) I'd say it's 10% (roughly) shorter than before but the mechanism is more precise, certainly box-shift changes are easier because of the precise nature. It doesn't however make the changes like a 'knife through butter', it's still advisable to dwell in neutral before engaging the next gear...as the American's like to call it a 'Heartbeat change' :?

Sundeep said:

Have you ever tried the Manthey SSK? I love the precision of it. It's -23%, so it seems to be somewhere in between the 997 and the B&M. But the all-ally construction gives it a real rifle bolt action.

Sundeep said:
interesting 1st impressions

but double D clutching :shock:

I'm not double de-clutching, just slowing down the change ;)

Yes, you can smash it through as you would a bolt-action rifle but have some care for those plastic connectors :)

I'm seriously thinking about fitting Mantheys SSK, I've got the Porsche SSK fitted at the moment and if I try to shift 2nd to 3rd too quickly it just doesn't happen, all the others are fine, even 4th down to 3rd is ok. It feels "worn" if that's the right word. I know Ade has been raving about the all alloy construction of the Manthey item, so I think I will have to put the wallet in gear.

Max

Max Bowler said:
I'm seriously thinking about fitting Mantheys SSK, I've got the Porsche SSK fitted at the moment and if I try to shift 2nd to 3rd too quickly it just doesn't happen, all the others are fine, even 4th down to 3rd is ok. It feels "worn" if that's the right word. I know Ade has been raving about the all alloy construction of the Manthey item, so I think I will have to put the wallet in gear.

Max

Max, if you are having difficulty changing between 2nd and 3rd, your problem is almost certainly worn synchros. I would recommend investigating replacing the synchros and having the cup cables installed at the same time. Cheers-

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back