Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lowering a 997

Manks

Trainee
Hi All

I have been considering buying a 997, but I have been put off because I am a fan of the old air cooled 911s. I have two wide body 80s cars.

The thing that has put me off the 997 has been the length of the tail. Whilst the 993 cars and before were quite trim in the rear, the 996 onwards has been a bit... long.

The 997 is, without doubt a beautiful car but if I am to spend the thick end of £100k on one, I'd need to love it.

But I have just seen something interesting here:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C24495

Someone has lowered this car by 20mm, and what a difference. It gives the car back some of the classic 911 looks. I think it's something to do with the way that the wheels fill the arches exactly.

I am assuming that it's not to tricky to lower a 997 in this way?

I am quite tempted to review the situation and order a Carrera 4S. Lowered.

Manks

That car you've highlighted there is factory lowered, quite a rare option, most preferring the PASM equipped car. As the advert says it lowers it by 20mm and introduces a LSD into the equation.

It's not too difficult to lower a 997, there are many options available from a simple spring replacement to a full shock replacement. The thing to watch out for with the 997 is the PASM (ie. the active suspension) this can be replaced, Bilstein do a PSS9 kit for the 997, this is available in a PASM and non-PASM version.

It would be a factory order. So can the PASM be set to also lower the car by 20mm?

Sounds like I should do some more research.

Manks

Manks said:
It would be a factory order. So can the PASM be set to also lower the car by 20mm?

Sounds like I should do some more research.

Manks

Yes, it is a factory order.

PASM just firms the dampers. I've driven a 997 C4S -20mm/mech diff and it's far better (IMO) than the PASM equipped car. PASM seems to be either too soft or too hard.

There are Bilstein options available whilst maintaining PASM.

Couple of questions....

With the factory fitted sports suspension (and LSD) is PASM disabled - so you are locked into the -20mm (which I agree, visually looks much better)?

Is the factory Sports Suspension very stiff? Can you live with it if you use the car regularly? Or is only advisable if you want the best from your track days?

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back