Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What is a 965 Turbo?

tonyp

Hi, I've seen a 965 Turbo for sale, but can't find anything written about this model. Only refs about 964s. Can anyone tell me the difference please.

965 was the code give to the turbo 964...

so its a 964 turbo, but chassis numbers start 965...

Its the 964 turbo isn't it?

IIRC I dont think it was officially designated 965 but open to correction.

Thanks, the owner says its a 3.3 Ruf and has some history, but doesn't seem to know too much about cars! he says "Make me an offer" as he needs the space in his garage.

I believe you will find that the 964 based 911 turbo was first launched with the 3.3 SE turbo engine producing 330bhp (I think) rather than the 300 bhp of the previous generation 930.

That was subsequnetly upgraded to a 3.6 turbo that seems to be referred to as the 965.

The 3.6 turbo version of the 964 generation cars seems to be more desirable.

Tiptop Topcat said:
I believe you will find that the 964 based 911 turbo was first launched with the 3.3 SE turbo engine producing 330bhp (I think) rather than the 300 bhp of the previous generation 930.

That was subsequnetly upgraded to a 3.6 turbo that seems to be referred to as the 965.

aye, which was also called the 964 Turbo II as the 965 named didnt really catch on (?)

965 was the model designation of a 964 based car that never saw the light of day, but is often used to refer to the 964 turbo. As others have said there are two, the 3.3 and the later and rarer 3.6.

This chap may not know what he is talking about or he may be talking balls to cover up a right bodge. I would expect someone in possesion of a RUF or 965 (so called) to know what they had, since they aint cheep.

tonyp said:
Thanks, the owner says its a 3.3 Ruf and has some history, but doesn't seem to know too much about cars! he says "Make me an offer" as he needs the space in his garage.

If its a Ruf with a 3.3 engine but a 964 body shape, then you may find that the bodywork has been changed.

Check the year of registration as a start. If it is pre-1989, its not a 964 based car.

I'd then tread very carefully. As said above, there are not many Ruf's around, especially in RHD form, but they are not in as much demand as you may think given the company's history and long association with Porsche.

The 964 911 variants are more modern and came with ABS and a six-speed gear box, although whether this was put into the 911 turbo on launch I don't know. At least these sort of aids lessened the chance for the car to bite, for which the 930's were quite well known.

Some more research and careful look at all the documentation would be well advised.

demonfish said:
965 was the code give to the turbo 964...

so its a 964 turbo, but chassis numbers start 965...

Not true I'm afraid. As has already been said above, the 965 never saw the light of a production day. It was to be a 959-based production car but it was decided that it was too expensive to produce.

There are many parts which carry the 965 part number which were carried over to the 964 Turbo (and some of the wide bodied non-Turbo cars) but the VIN (i.e. chassis number) of ALL of the 964 Turbos all carry the 964 numbering.

The very first 964 Turbo in 1991 with the 3.3 litre engine was called the Turbo 2 to distinguish it from the preceding 930 Turbo car. The 3.6 litre Turbo released in 1993 was officially the "Turbo 3.6" - not Turbo 2.

Regards

Dave

I totally agree with Supersport, someone who has a Ruf would KNOW that they have one :shock: . The Ruf 964 turbo was made out of any variant of the 964 that the customer decided to start with.

Even rarer than the 3.6 964 turbo was the 964 turbo S. There's one of these for sale on PH at the moment:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/248702.htm

Note that this owner refers to it as the 965 turbo S even though (like already said above) Porsche never referred to any of their turbos as the 965.

I thought 993's and 968's were the first road-going Porsches with 6 speed gearboxes, not 964's.........?

~ Maxie

Wasn't the 928 the first road-going production Porsche with a 6 speed?

Don't know about the 924 > 944 > 968 evolution but presumably the change to six speed was at the 968?

964 6-speed was, I read, carried over to the 993.

All 964s - whether n/a or turbo - had a 5 speed gearbox. There were none produced with 6 speed 'boxes although some have had 993 transmissions installed subsequently. I believe Ruf DID do a 6-speed 'box for the cars they converted but it wasn't mandatory.

The 993s certainly DID have 6-speed 'boxes from the start. I really don't know about the 928 although many of those were automatics anyway.

Regards

Dave

Dave Wilkinson said:
All 964s - whether n/a or turbo - had a 5 speed gearbox. There were none produced with 6 speed 'boxes although some have had 993 transmissions installed subsequently. I believe Ruf DID do a 6-speed 'box for the cars they converted but it wasn't mandatory.

The 993s certainly DID have 6-speed 'boxes from the start. I really don't know about the 928 although many of those were automatics anyway.

Regards

Dave

I've always avoided the 964 so thats interesting. Sure I read that they had a 6-speed in a review about the 993, anyway I stand erected!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back