Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help please!, electrical fault.

911fan

Trainee
Now done this twice! Start the car and ABS light comes on but does not go out atfer few yards as normal, drive for as little as a couple of miles and battery is totally dead!!! even with engine running electric windows are slow, and once engine is turned off engine will not turn over again, last time i checked the battery and the earth terminal was hot! so suggesting a huge current drain!
Once car is bump started abs light goes out as normal and battery charges in a few minutes! :? Any thoughts or ideas appreiciated!

Not sure about the ABS light but as it changes when you bump start it, could it be the solenoid on the starter motor sticking (somehow)? this would account for the current drain because of the current required to hold the solenoid in. Have you tried jump starting it? Does that have the same symptoms as starting it from the battery?

hmmm

694rs1.jpg
or
110633686_220d766bd7.jpg

lol

That second one is a strange shape but it seems to have some Rubystone bits still attached. Is it a trackday special :lol:

This forum is so technical! :lol: :lol: the pics make me feel much better about my sick car though! guess its time to call an auto electrician! not sure that bump starting or jump starting makes any odds but seems like once the battery is dead it re-sets trouble is by this time its to late! ABS pump?

911fan said:
This forum is so technical! :lol: :lol: the pics make me feel much better about my sick car though! guess its time to call an auto electrician! not sure that bump starting or jump starting makes any odds but seems like once the battery is dead it re-sets trouble is by this time its to late! ABS pump?

Sorry about the hijack. To me it still sounds like the starter. Once the battery flattens, it no longer has the strength to hold the solenoid in so it effectively resets. Alternatively, I could be talking bollox.

Best not to keep flattening the battery and recharging it, you might damage the battery.

Am i right in guessing the starter motor is not very easy to get to?

not sure - but with any electrical issue, leave the battery disconnected over night, to save a firey wake up....

Good point sir!! :shock: Timber Garage soaked in Ronseal also! 8) grab the marshmallows!!!

911fan said:
Am i right in guessing the starter motor is not very easy to get to?

It's a Porsche. The only thing which is easy to get to is your wallet :( Vorsprung durch shaftyou :cry:

Heres my two pence worth.

You said the earth lead was hot. That's your clue.

First remove the earth straps and replace them, cleaning the contact area and using new bolts and washers. You will probably find more than one earth connection on the car - do them all.

Check the battery leads and make sure they have good contact and a smear of Vaseline.
Clean the battery area and the top of the battery. (stops leakage of charge)

What car and model is it??

Attend to all the simple earth things that you can before spending any money.

If its an old car eg pre 88 then change all the bullet fuses because they corrode and cause all sorts of hard to identify faults.

The ABS light staying on is often associated with the alternator not firing up. This can be as simple blipping the throttle to about 3 or 4,000 revs to give it a kick start. Or the alternator having bad connections or being on its last legs.

A bad earth strap as mentioned by Stevo or bad earths due to dry joints in the dash clock can also be indicated by the ABS light staying on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back