Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Open Exhaust

Jay 964rs Rep

Well,
I 've decided to go for a G pipe, which along with my cup pipe & de cat, shall hopefully let aircooled flat 6 bark out loud!!!
I know this would be unsuitable for a track, so i'll keep the orginal final silencer.
Scamper has kindly offered to fit the pipe, so i'll try to get some sounds posted up soon.
i wonder if i can get some gucci earplugs for the wife???? :lol:

Jay,
I think you'll find that uncomfortably loud (your neighbours certainly will). I expect it will be c. 110db !
You may also find that you actually lose a bit of power and torque - the flat six actually likes a bit of exhaust back pressure to make maximum power as I understand it.
I doubt you'll put up with it like that for long, but good luck to you !

Jamie

Thanks. The main reason for going for it, is i sourced a used final silencer & that lasted one weekend before it started rattling & making the car sound like a tank at low revs. I'll use the G pipe as a stop gap until I can get a genuine new silencer.
ohh. & i'm curious to hear the noise.

Jay 964rs Rep said:
Thanks. The main reason for going for it, is i sourced a used final silencer & that lasted one weekend before it started rattling & making the car sound like a tank at low revs. I'll use the G pipe as a stop gap until I can get a genuine new silencer.
ohh. & i'm curious to hear the noise.

I have heard a 964 with a straight through exhaust and it is bloody loud. I would imagine that you might need ear plugs to drive it on long runs especially if you have your light weight carpets stuck straight to the metal with no insulation ( a la RS)

I've seen posts on Rennlist that indicate that a cat bypass and a cup pipe often cause the standard final silencer to give up the ghost. So a new final silencer might not last much longer than a used one :(

I've got the lightweight carpets & no sound insulation. Still, at least it will sound like a race car!
I might have to consider a "performance" silencer at some point, or maybe a less restrictive silencer instead of a cup pipe.
lets say the exhaust is work in progress. :)

Well Jay has just left my house after we fitted the G-pipe.....what you want to know is - is it too loud??

I dont think so!! It now sounds like a tuned Chevy V8!! but with that unmistakeable flat 6 burble.

It is loud, no mistake there, probably wont get onto a track day, but i dont think thats going to be a problem. The real test will be whether Jays other half can stand the noise on the trip upto Manchester :lol:

At the end of the day its all about what makes you happy....looking at Jays face when I took the car out of the garage - I think he is very pleased!!!

BTW Jay we could still hear you at the mini-roundabout 1/4 mile away!!!

Ade

Scamper said:
BTW Jay we could still hear you at the mini-roundabout 1/4 mile away!!!
Ade

.....and the big roundabout 2 miles away. .....and the motorway junction 5 miles away :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank god he's finally parked up in Manchester, I can get off to sleep now. The kids should stop crying soon :shock:

A picture's no use, but a sound clip would be and actual db. I'd love mine to be louder but only just scraped in at Bedford last time and I don't want too much grief :cry:

Well chaps.
The car is loud but what a noise!! I gave my neighbours some forewarning before setting off at 7.30am on saturday morning. A cold flat 6 in a garage is a noise to savour (for a short time!). The missus fell asleep on the way up so it can't be that bad.
As Scamper said (cheers again ade!) the noise is very V8 ish, but higher up the rev range it sounds like Steve Mcqueen racing his 962 in the film "le Mans". It's mad!!! pops & spits on the overrun as well!!!
I'll try to get a vid up with sound soon.

Jay 964rs Rep said:
but higher up the rev range it sounds like Steve Mcqueen racing his 962 in the film "le Mans".

That'll be 917 then :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back