Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Upgrades !

bossmls

Hi
Anybody know / reccomend the best tried and tested non destructive engine upgrades available for a 2003 996 3.6? If remap or chip who are the recommended indies / OPC in the Notts area? ( willing to travel for right service). Also how do mods stand with OPC warranties, I read on rennlist some upgrade software is OPC undetectable is this so?

Thanks for your time. Great Forum :wink:

bossmls said:
Hi
Anybody know / reccomend the best tried and tested non destructive engine upgrades available for a 2003 996 3.6? If remap or chip who are the recommended indies / OPC in the Notts area? ( willing to travel for right service). Also how do mods stand with OPC warranties, I read on rennlist some upgrade software is OPC undetectable is this so?

Extracting extra power out of the 3.6 is notoriously expensive. There are some tuners out there (Manthey, Cargraphic, etc) which have been successful in liberating additional horses through new manifolds+cats+induction+ECU remap. But this doesn't come cheap, and has typically been done on the motorsport 3.6 engine as found in the GT3 which is a completely different engine to the one in the RMS-prone regular 3.6. Manthey have quite a few different engine upgrades and all of them are TUV tested/approved which goes quite some way to demonstrating their reliability apart from road testing. It's worth having a look at their different websites to see what they offer.

Porsche did an X51 power upgrade for the 996 which liberated an extra 20bhp or so on the regular 3.6 (this was standard on the 996 40th Anniversary edition). But I think this involved new heads, induction etc and was an £8k+ option from the factory. Not sure how feasible/available the parts are for retrofit.

PolarExpress said:
bossmls said:
Hi

Extracting extra power out of the 3.6 is notoriously expensive. There are some tuners out there (Manthey, Cargraphic, etc) which have been successful in liberating additional horses through new manifolds+cats+induction+ECU remap. But this doesn't come cheap, and has typically been done on the motorsport 3.6 engine as found in the GT3 which is a completely different engine to the one in the RMS-prone regular 3.6. Manthey have quite a few different engine upgrades and all of them are TUV tested/approved which goes quite some way to demonstrating their reliability apart from road testing. It's worth having a look at their different websites to see what they offer.

Porsche did an X51 power upgrade for the 996 which liberated an extra 20bhp or so on the regular 3.6 (this was standard on the 996 40th Anniversary edition). But I think this involved new heads, induction etc and was an £8k+ option from the factory. Not sure how feasible/available the parts are for retrofit.

X51 kit's available from Carnewal for a shade of €7k :)

Damian said:
PolarExpress said:
bossmls said:
Hi

X51 kit's available from Carnewal for a shade of €7k :)

Cough, cough, Mmmmmm..............................7k

Fold the wing mirrors in & remove the wiper blades.........Cost nothing :wink:

Fit PSE.......................worth 50 horses and a silly grin

fitted an induction kit which makes the noise nicer and the throttle seem lighter (claimed 23hp but i'm sceptical).

Sports exhaust next but not sure whether to do back boxes or whole shebang inc headers etc........

Tim Storey said:
fitted an induction kit which makes the noise nicer and the throttle seem lighter (claimed 23hp but i'm sceptical).

Sports exhaust next but not sure whether to do back boxes or whole shebang inc headers etc........

More like 2.3hp from an induction kit.

stats007 said:
Tim Storey said:

More like 2.3hp from an induction kit.

Possibly more at very high speeds - but not noticable at low speeds. Still sound good though!

Could try Ninemeister - in Warrington so not a million miles away and seem to be the only people willing to look at getting more power from non-turbo 911s (Manthey, etc excluded given that they concentrate on the race-spec engines).

Still would not expect you to get any reasonable increase in power without shelling out into the £000s though.

If anyone is looking for an induction kit, I still have the one from my old 996.

Stu - your Targa sounded great with the red bit. How come you didn't sell it with the car?

So Poo said:
Stu - your Targa sounded great with the red bit. How come you didn't sell it with the car?

I had the Fabspeed exhaust put on afterwards and the buyer thought it was too noisy with both so the easiest thing was to swap the induction back.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back