Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

998 Tip or not ? PDK

Jamie_G

Portimao
I've heard it on fairly good authority that there will be no Tiptronic transmission for the next generation of 911.

Jamie said:
I've heard it on fairly good authority that there will be no Tiptronic transmission for the next generation of 911.
That seems unlikely. I would have thought that would put a lot of people off buying one. Lazy, talentless drivers like me for a start :D

I didn't say there wouldn't be a lazy transmission, just not in the form of Tiptronic !!

Similar to DSG, I think they call it PDK - flappy paddle. They were talking about double de clutch whatever the hell that means?!?

I generally know nothing about this kind of stuff, not sure of what I am saying, trying to recall comments from a Porsche strategic and marketing presentation at Porsche Cars GB last week.

Also indicated that we will see hybrid engine in the 911 soon enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the PDK system on the 997 facelift.

I also heard same as Jamie - no tiptronic per se but a derivation of VW's DSG transmission instead.

~ Maxie

It was mentioned that the PDK would feature as soon as they have the technology right, somebody asked about 997 facelift and the answer was not to rule it out.

I would imagine that the days of the conventional, torque converter type autos are numbered as more firms develop their own true semi-auto boxes. The more who make them, the lower the cost will become until they end up being standard.

Are Borg Warner still in business? after all, they perfected what is now the standard auto box.

I surely wouldnt want a Tip 997 at the moment. As soon as the DSG hits everyone will see how good it is/ how bad the tip is and tip values will fall...DSG really is amazing!

How about something truly revolutionary (i.e. not seen anywhere before) like IVT (Getrag and Aisin are filing a lot of patents in this area)??

So if its PDK it will have been 20+ years between its debut in the 962 and its intro to a production car

917k said:
So if its PDK it will have been 20+ years between its debut in the 962 and its intro to a production car

Both Audi and Porsche picked up on the dual-clutch concept, although its use was limited at first to racecars. The 956 and 962C racecars included the Porsche Dual Klutch, or PDK. In 1986, a Porsche 962 won the Monza 1000 Kilometer World Sports Prototype Championship race -- the first win for a car equipped with the PDK semi-automatic paddle-shifted transmission.

dual-clutch-transmission-4a.jpg

Porsche has filed paperwork indicating that a seven-speed DSG is on the way. The company had apparently hoped to have it ready for the launch of the 997 Turbo, but it didn't work out. Hence, Tiptronic S remains the optional transmission across the board for the coming model year. When the DSG arrives, expect to see it made available on the full line, including the planned Bugatti-hunting GT1.

- Porsche to launch direct-shift gearbox
- Dual clutches will mean quicker gearchanges
- Models with gearbox or timescale not yet known

Volkswagen calls it DSG, but Porsche will call its version of a semi-automatic dual-clutch gearbox PDK.

The company won't reveal when the PDK transmission will be available, or for which cars, but we do know what PDK stands for, because Porsche racing cars already have sports versions of the gearbox.

While DSG stands for Direct-Shift Gearbox, Porsche's version has the imaginative title of Porsche Doppelkupplungen - Porsche Double Clutches.

Why Porsche buyers would want PDK
A dual-clutch gearbox uses two clutches, but no clutch pedal. The first clutch operates the odd gears, while the second operates the even gears.

Using this type of system, gears are changed smoothly and quickly with very little interruption of power. So acceleration is faster than with a manual gearbox.

Formula One-style paddles on either side of the steering wheel are normally used to make the gearchanges, enhancing the sporty feel of the car.

Rivals such as Audi already have their own versions of the gearbox (Audi's is called S-tronic), so we're sure Porsche buyers can't wait to try the PDK gearbox.

Given how quick the 997 TT is with a tip box, the PDK is going to make it amazing. The torque convertors have their advantages for driving, but the limit of 5 gears is annoying.

I bet the PDK is an option on the 998 GT3! :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back