Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RHD drive import from Germany...

tazsura

Imola
Hi guys,

Are RHD imports from Germany common practice? Any problems? What checks should be made on it?

I'm only asking as for those of you who may have read the other threads i've posted in, I found a couple of C2's up for sale recently. The one of particular interest to me is a 92 C2 Manual. Black with bleack leather. £14K 90K miles. It's just had a new clutch and air con condenser. But, I've been told it's a RHD import from Germany...should I bee put off? Or this absolutely fine?

As ever, your view would be most welcome!

Thanks guys

Taran :lol:

I think alot of RHD imports come from someone who has worked abroad, I bought a VW Golf many moon's ago from a Chap who was in the Army and lived in Germany for 3 years.. And ordered a RHD vehicle to use while out there, and brought it back to the UK on his return !

There may be spec differences between a RHD bought in another country and a UK spec one. It all depends on what the "standard spec" is for the country it was bought in.

tazsura said:
Are RHD imports from Germany common practice? Any problems? What checks should be made on it?
:

RHD import, they all are as that's where the factory is. 8)

I assume you mean it's not C16 uk RHD spec, but they are quite rare over there.

As said above the military order RHD to bring back, after posting has finished then sell it and lose very little financially.
I would try and find out what country it was built for information normally on coded sticker on car.
HPI may not find all history if been abroad.

If you can get them to supply you with the country code on any car you are interested in you'll have a better idea of likely spec differences. Hot countries tend to have much less underseal protection if any. For some countries the engines might be mapped for lower quality fuel so will be down on power. Etc.

C00 Germany
C02 USA
C03 California
C04 Puerto Rico
C05 France
C06 French colonies
C07 Italy
C08 Japan left hand drive
C09 Sweden
C10 Switzerland
C11 Austria
C12 Denmark
C13 Finland
C14 Taiwan
C15 Hong Kong
C16 England
C17 British service personnel in Germany
C18 Japan right hand drive
C19 Luxemburg
C20 Holland
C21 Norway
C22 Belgium
C23 Australia
C24 New Zealand
C26 South Africa
C27 Spain
C28 Greece
C31 Saudi Arabia
C32 Arab Gulf States
C36 Canada
C45 Singapore
C69 France
C72 Switzerland
C98 Other right hand drive production (e.g. Cyprus)
C99 Special production

Ian.

Thanks guys,

Sorry I should have phrased it better...RHD C00 German spec...! I dunno what the diffs between the UK and German specs were...any knowledge? I wouldn't expect a vast amount of diff between the UK and German...

I'm planning to see it this week, so i'll keep you posted.

Taz 8)

C00 Germany and RHD??? Would have expected it to be LHD. Make sure it's not had a LHD to RHD conversion and that it came out the factory RHD.

The guy is on holiday and is back today. So i'll be able to talk more to him and find out every detail before going to see it.

IF it is/was a RHD bought in Germany...what would you expect the sticker to say..? C00 or C16?

Not knowledgable enough to give you an answer on that. It could well be pucka but you should try to get some sort of independent verification that it all adds up IMO.

Perhaps Porsche GB in Reading or 964 register secretary at PCGB if you are a member. If you are going to take the car to a respected independent for a PPI you could ask them.

Ian.

tazsura said:
The guy is on holiday and is back today. So i'll be able to talk more to him and find out every detail before going to see it.

IF it is/was a RHD bought in Germany...what would you expect the sticker to say..? C00 or C16?

A car supplied in Germany should have a C00 number, unless it was sold for the GB market and collected from the factory.

Thanks guys,

Managed to speak to the guy yday. The car is at his parents house as he is currently moving and does not have a garage at his new house...hence why the car is being sold. I also spoke to the dealership that sold him the car. He tells me the car was a forces car as you suggested and was bought over to the UK in '96.

I was given these details by the seller:

Chassis WPOZZZ96ZNS400481

ABE NR FO35 - ?

E1317RA0388446 - ?

E464R0089012 - ?

Can i check this chassis no. anywhere to check all details on the car?

Cheerz

Taran :?:

WPOZZZ96ZNS400481

Maker = Porsche AG
Model = 964
Body type = Coupe
Year = 1992
Factory = Stutgart
Serial Number = 0481

Hey guys,

I went and checked out this car yday (sunday). Mechanically, the car was superb, apart from a vibration in the steering around 60mph. This subsided at about 80mph. My feeling is the wheels needed balancing and the tyre pressures needed checking as the car had been sitting in a garage for a few weeks.

Unfortunately, the bonnet and one of the rear wings had been resprayed...and not very well. Any idea how much it would cost to get these two areas repsrayed properly? The rest of the paint work was excellent.

The car was a Black 92' C2 with 90K...for £13.5G. Opinions? Worth a punt?

Cheers

Taran :!:

If you like the car, and am happy with it.. Bid him £12,500 ! This will cover the cost of the paintwork..

PPI ?
HPI ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back