Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres

Harry

The time has come again for me to re-invest in some new rubber.

However, I have a dilema.....

I have a 964 C4 currently on Toyo Proxes T1-S's. The fronts are still in excellent condition and have lots of tread but the rears really need replacing now.

The problem is Toyo have now discontinued the T1-S and replace with the T1-R (different tread pattern) and I'm having real trouble locating a pair of T1-S's for the rear. Does anyone know of any tyre fitters who carry old stock and may have some? Or do I bite the bullet and replace all 4?

If I replace all 4 any recomendations? I have 17" cups, dont track it or push it to the limit.

Cheers

So is it the considered opinion that you shouldn't mismatch tyre treads front / rear?

Toyo Tyres

Hi, I've recently put T1-R's on the back of my 993, i've been to le-mans in the pissing down rain and did two track days in the last six weeks, and I'm very very inpressed with them! They are miles better than the 'dangerous in the wet' P-Zero asyemetrics they've replaced and I've still got the p-zero's on the front. I rate them very highly, I've tried conti's, pilot sports which are good but over priced and were scrubbed off the back in 8000 miles.

I must admit I have been very impressed with the Toyo T1-s. But if I am going to replace all 4 I will probably try a different brand. Thinking about some michelin's if I can find them at the right price.

Every time I mention Toyo's to a tyre dealer they advise they do not have the relevant speed rating for the car.

Toyo T1Rs and T1Ss are good tyres in the wet and have a soft compound combined with soft sidewalls. I used to run T1S and T1Rs on various MX5s where they were excellent for lighter weight cars and the much lower levels of performance.

However they are no where near as responsive or performant as Michelin PS1s or PS2s, or even Contis or Bridgestone S02/S02-As on a 911. In the dry, the Toyos will seriously struggle to match the performance offered by Michelins etc, especially given the demands of a car such as the 911.

I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth economising £200 or so for inferior tyres - especially when they will last you several thousand miles and they are the only thing attaching your 911 to the road.

Don't compromise on tyres. Buy the best available.

Simon W said:
So is it the considered opinion that you shouldn't mismatch tyre treads front / rear?

That is generally the opinion of Porsche themselves. Furthermore they advise that different tyre makes/patterns on the front and rear axles of C4 models can damage the 4WD system. Something to do with you must have the same tyre grip front and rear so that it can do its job properly.

Totally agree about not compromising on tyres.

Does anyone have any experince of Michelin PS2s Vs Pilot Sport N2s. I notice that the N2s are quoted as 'Porsche Fitment' and have a different tread pattern.

Heard a few mixed reports about Conti's which puts me off a bit.

Michelin PS2s are also N-rated (IIRC they are currently on N2 if not already N3)

Michelin Pilot Sport 1s are the other tyre you refer to. Yes, they were a completely different tread design for the Porsche N2 rating. A very good tyre for older 993s, but they have been superceded by the PS2s for quite some time.

The problem is that Michelin don't make PS2s in all the sizes yet, and they aren't available in the 993/964/GT3Mk1 sizes.

PS2s are widely considered the best road tyres available for a Porsche if you can get them in your size.

I've been using Conti Sport Contact 2 N2s for a couple of years and find them an excellent all weather tyre. They're supposed to not have the grip of the MPS but I can honestly say I've never got mine (boxster or 964) sliding around on the road.

Ive got Conti Sport Contact 2 N2s, good all round (pun intended) tyre. Probably dont excel in any one particular condition but a safe choice.

PolarExpress said:
Michelin Pilot Sport 1s are the other tyre you refer to. Yes, they were a completely different tread design for the Porsche N2 rating. A very good tyre for older 993s, but they have been superceded by the PS2s for quite some time.

The problem is that Michelin don't make PS2s in all the sizes yet, and they aren't available in the 993/964/GT3Mk1 sizes.

PS2s are widely considered the best road tyres available for a Porsche if you can get them in your size.

Thanks for the info. I have checked and you are correct about the PS2s not being available for the 964 (rears are, fronts are not).

If the PS1s have been superceded for some time is there a high risk that I will find myself in the same situation again where only my rears need replacing (as they will wear much faster than the fronts), but I have to replace all 4 to match them up?

Harry said:
PolarExpress said:

Thanks for the info. I have checked and you are correct about the PS2s not being available for the 964 (rears are, fronts are not).

If the PS1s have been superceded for some time is there a high risk that I will find myself in the same situation again where only my rears need replacing (as they will wear much faster than the fronts), but I have to replace all 4 to match them up?

I guess it depends on how quickly you will wear out the tyres - Michelin seem to be supplying them at the moment, and as long they don't make the PS2 in the other sizes, I suspect they'll be making the PS1s for the foreseeable future... I think...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back