Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear Speaker Upgrade for 996 GT3; Mk1, Mk2 CS & RS

Porsche

Not quite as well done as the audio upgrades you could do, but if you have a Mk1 GT3 and a Mk2 GT3 Club Sport and or a Mk2 GT3 RS the 1st problem is that you do not have any rear speakers. So what you are seeing below are just covers.

IMG_0548.jpg

As we know the front speakers are naff, 20watts and no tweater and with the noise of these cars, not much else.

So having taken out the poor CRR-23 audio head unit I've fitted the more power Becker Cascade 7944 system which has improved the sound, but still only just a pair of front speakers was a real limit.

In time I will do as Damian has shown, fitting upgraded speakers into the front speaker units, but I thought i would have a look at the rear speakers 1st.

IMG_0549.jpg

Now in the wisdom of Porsche to save 500 grams, they took out the rear speakers and put in place mere covers. So I thought I would have a look, which is never easy around a factory roll cage in place.

To my surprise when I took the cover away there was the required plug in cable tucked in place, surely it couldn't be that easy as getting some rear speakers and fitting in place.

IMG_0550.jpg

So I paid a visit to my local OPC parts dept and got for £38+VAT each a set of rear speakers (order and picked up in 5 days), which are still only 20W in spec but have a tweeter added, which is still awful by any audio standard for a Supercar, but still it's a start.

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

Then it was a simple case of taking out the Speaker cover, then connecting up and fitting in the place the new speakers using the existing screws (you dont even get new screws!).

IMG_0559.jpg

Job done, sound is 100 times better with sound from the rear, although still not on par over any after market speaker. The next step is to install 10cm Infinity Coaxial speakers into the existing speakers parts for some proper sound. For now these will do, as at least I can actually hear the radio over the noise of the rakes, differential, tyres and engine !

IMG_0561.jpg

Cue the purists, weight reduction et al..... but with 420 Manthey horse I can manage a mere extra 500 grams !

regards

Is it worth Buying a set of 'Bose' rears ? Would this make a massive difference...

I still need to hear Ade's front's !!

Daniel said:
Is it worth Buying a set of 'Bose' rears ? Would this make a massive difference...

Not really as they are somethink like £150+V each ! then you need an amp or they aint working to their potential

and it is better to get the regular rears for £39+v then fitting 10cm Infinity or other after market (Focal, Diamond, etc) units for £50+v+fitting

although you could get another set of fronts for the rears which are a bargain price of only £26.5+V then fit the Infinity or other after market (Focal, Diamond, etc) 10cm speakers

Sundeep said:
Daniel said:

Not really as they are somethink like £150+V each ! then you need an amp or they aint working to their potential

and it is better to get the regular rears for £39+v then fitting 10cm Infinity or other after market (Focal, Diamond, etc) units for £50+v+fitting

although you could get another set of fronts for the rears which are a bargain price of only £26.5+V then fit the Infinity or other after market (Focal, Diamond, etc) 10cm speakers

The rear pods are actually a different unit to the fronts, you can probably get them to fit with a little help from Stanley and his mate D Remel :)

I'd have to say at those sort of OPC prices the time and effort to fabricate the tweeter hole etc might actually be worth it buying them.

Yep, There are no rears in my MkII CS, certainly considering the above mod, did see a pair of the Bose one's on Ebay but they went for £100. Might just go the cheaper way too.

Ian_km said:
There are no rears in my MkII CS, certainly considering the above mod, did see a pair of the Bose one's on Ebay but they went for £100. Might just go the cheaper way too.

ceratinly worth doing

Anyone with a MK1 GT3-

(words from Porsche GB)

"Sir, the MK1 GT3 does not have any speaker wires in the rear, and a Porsche dealer will NOT run the wires for you" - :shock:

So it looks like I will only be upgrading the fronts..

Daniel said:
Anyone with a MK1 GT3-

(words from Porsche GB)

"Sir, the MK1 GT3 does not have any speaker wires in the rear, and a Porsche dealer will NOT run the wires for you" - :shock:

So it looks like I will only be upgrading the fronts..

To route wires to the rear pods isn't difficult, don't let the fact that Porsche say no put you off, it will take a Car HiFi company less than a couple of hours to do it for you.

Damian said:
The rear pods are actually a different unit to the fronts, you can probably get them to fit with a little help from Stanley and his mate D Remel :)

Just to update..
Pods front and rear are the same... ( or at least this is what I found on the MK1..)

Just took my front speaker out, it hasnt even got a tweeter!

poon said:

Mine did not have them either.. So I have put mine in the back, and brought upgraded ones for the fronts - :D

Daniel said:
poon said:

Mine did not have them either.. So I have put mine in the back, and brought upgraded ones for the fronts - :D

what did you put in the front Dan?

I had a Company make me some up,(I brought some 996 grills, and gave them to the company) which were Boston 4.5" 2 ways..

But to be honest, they sound good when your parked up with the engine off.. But driving along, with the noise any GT3 makes (road, engine noise) I would think a standard set would be ok !

I understand Ade put a set of Infinitys (again 2 ways) in, and has told me they sound better than standard..

To be honest, its just nice to have some extra sound in the car.

:)

Fitted a set of rear OEM speakers, with tweeters, took 10 mins tops and has transformed the sound, I don't care much for top quality sound, I listen to the engine or am on the blower too much anyway.

Pus I don't like it too loud as I feel I cannot hear horns etc.

Good idea SD

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back