Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pirelli Tyres

Fingers

Imola
Got a new set of Pirelli's for my 997 this week. The rear tyres were dead and the front had maybe another 2,000 KM on them but I changed them all. The 997 came with Michi's but I opted for Pirelli's for the change and the great price! I got a set of four for GBP 850.00 - not sure if that is good in the UK or not.

The P's are very good, nice ride and very quiet actually! I had P's on my 996 with 18" alloys and they were very noisy!

The dealer told me that most 997's come with Michi's but he is seeing more Bridgestone and Pirelli recently. What do you all have and has anybody changed their tyres yet and if so what from and to?

Mine came with Bridgestone, first time I've ever had them on a car and I'm quite impressed with them. There is alot of road noise but that may be the car not the tyres (majority of reports said it has alot of road noise).

On my 996 I changed from Michelin's to Pirelli as the Michelin's were squealing under no pressure without any reason. :?

Thing I noticed about the Pirelli was the lack of rim protector in comparison to Michelin's, Conti and Bridgestones....sadly on long day driving in France and a nasty kerb proved the point :(

I found the Michelin's to be the most expensive followed by the bridgestones.
Conti's to wear the most (3k on the rears - and I wasn't really trying)

garyw

I've always found the Pirelli and Michelin's to be very similiar in all round ability

So, you boys have had more experience with tyres..

GT3, would like them to last, and be quiet on the road, price n/a.

Had Conti's on my C4 and found them not that good in the wet..

Had Bridgestone's on my C2 and found them very good but did not last that long..

The GT3 will need tyres with-in a 1000 miles..

My mate leant me his 987S the other week and I covered a few hundred miles in the sun and torrential rain - the car is still new (3000 miles) and has conti's. I was very impressed, 18" rims of course but quite a nice ride and not much noise. I think, the car, the rims and the tyres all play such a huge role in the feel its really quite hard to know what is what. Besides, if you do 20K on one set of tyres and get a new set, its hard to remember what the old ones were like when new! Oh well, happy with P's so far. Just waiting for some rain now...

Michelin PS2s are the best road tyres you can get for the 911 in terms of grip, durability, noise, heat resistance, and response.

Pirelli Rossos are designed for comfort (very soft + soft sidewalls) and are lousy in comparison unless just cruising around town and on motorways. They feel very squirmy in comparison and do not offer the kind of responsiveness a 911 demands on the twisties.

I will never go back to Rossos.

Have run P zero Rosso on last 3 cars but had to switch to PS2's a couple of months ago because of Pirelli shortage and now wouldn't switch back. The PS2's give better steering feel, great grip and are less "squidgy" under hard cornering.

On my 996, I found the Contis to be the best in the wet but the Michelins were way superior in the dry. However, Dave K really liked his Pirellis. I would def. go for a set of Contis for winter tyres

Seagull said:
On my 996, I found the Contis to be the best in the wet but the Michelins were way superior in the dry. However, Dave K really liked his Pirellis. I would def. go for a set of Contis for winter tyres

Winter tyres..
She will not be allowed out in the winter !

Daniel said:
She will not be allowed out in the winter !

Best time of the year, wide open carparks covered in snow and a big weight hanging over the rear axle... = fun :twisted:

OK it can have its downsides :cry:

garyw

My C2S came with Pirellis. I'm not a Pirelli fan at all and can't comment on the comparison between PS2. However, they seem fine on the C2S although they would as the 997 is the best handling car/chassis I have I ever owned.

On my three previous cars (X2 E46 M3 & 330Ci) I swore by PS1 & PS2 after trying Dunlop, Bridgestone, Conti, F1's

I'll definitly be fitting PS2 on the C2S when needed as I expect them to be a better all round tyre, as they proved to be on my previous cars.

I'm not a big fan of Pirellis, either, having had then as OEM fittment on a few new cars. My limited experience of Pilot Sports (4,000 miles on my old 996) was fantastic. IMO the best handling dry road tyre I have driven and a good feel on track as well. My only regret (at the moment) about the car I am buying now is that it has got Bridgestones on it. Having said that, they worked well when I had TVRs, albeit in a hgher profile.

Couldn't get what I really wanted last time, so got Conti Sport Contact 2 instead. Have to say they are so much better than the Conti SC1s that I had on my 993 when I bought it:

Good grip wet and dry, quieter than Pirellis, nice stiff sidewalls (so don't deform much under hard cornering) and decent rim protection.

I suspect Michelins might be a little better (but doubt I would notice, as I would reach my limit long before the tyres reached theirs!) But as I got change from £500 for all 4 Contis fitted and balanced (and PS2s were on back order at the time) I thought I'd give them a try!

Wattie. I had the Contis (SC2) on the 996 before the PSs. The Contis are a fanastic wet weather tyre but in the dry, they don't give as much feel as the Michelins. If I was going to use the car in the winter, they wuld be a natural 1st choice winter tyre.

I have Bridgestones on this car, Pirelli on the previous

Thr Pirelli calander is better ... :wink:

I had issues with the michelins on my previous car and removed them to be replaced with Pirelli, cured the issues and the Pirelli's did the job.

Never had Bridgestones before and so far I'm quite impressed, wearing fairly, cost is similar amongst the others (pot hole at 2000 miles)
Grip hasn't yet failed wet or dry.. road noise seems to be on par with what I expected.
But at the end of the day, the calander is not as good as Pirelli :p

garyw

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back