Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox issues

Dave

Portimao
996tt (2001 29k miles)
Every so often when deaccelerating in second gear it will "jump" out of gear. Have been advised by OPC that this could be the second gear synchro playing up and that the gearbox may need rebuilding.Third gear is also a bit hard to hit sweetly sometimes.

Car has full OPC warranty and I am led to believe that this issue will be covered.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and what was the outcome?

TIA

Deffo worn synchros.

Whether you'll get it under warranty is down to your relationship with the OPC. Synchros are technically a wear'n'tear item.

IIRC, Dunc managed to get his synchros changed under warranty?

Thanks Ade.

Just had a look at the items covered by the warranty

3592 - Synchro ring 2nd gear
3566 - Synchro hub 2nd gear
3572 - Gear Set 2nd gear

Looks like the warranty will pay for itself this year.

I believe a new gearbox is north of £4k.

I guess I will not have to think too hard about renewing my warranty in October

Car goes into Mid Sussex OPC tomorrow to have the gearbox looked at. While the gearbox is out I may as well have the clutch replaced as it has done 29,000 miles. I am also considering a short shift. Has anyone got any experience of these?

PS OPC want my car for a week so they have given me a courtesy car - A Boxster Tiptronic :shock:

Dave said:
Car goes into Mid Sussex OPC tomorrow to have the gearbox looked at. While the gearbox is out I may as well have the clutch replaced as it has done 29,000 miles. I am also considering a short shift. Has anyone got any experience of these?

PS OPC want my car for a week so they have given me a courtesy car - A Boxster Tiptronic :shock:

Do you have scissors and straightening irons Dave or would you like my spares? :lol:

Why can't I delete this post :?

Tim Storey said:
Dave said:

Do you have scissors and straightening irons Dave or would you like my spares? :lol:

Just a brown paper bag thanks :oops:

Dave said:
Oooh look at you ...

Just dropped my car off for a major service. Had been promised a CaymanS loaner. Ended up with a VW Golf diesel :(

Dave. When I put the short shifter on my Targa, It felt really sweet although it took a bit of getting used to because of the stiffer "rifle bolt" feel to it.

Makes it feel like a different car.

Nervously awaiting phone call from OPC to tell me what is up with the car and whether it is covered under the warranty :( . The Technician on Saturday said after driving the car that he did think it was 2nd gear synchro beginning to fail and that they have had a fair few in. Unless abuse can be proven it should be a warranty job.

Fingers crossed

Good Luck Dave.. But you'll be fine !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back