Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New tyres for a new owner

aled hughes

Hello All.

Recently aquired an 02 Targa and was told that I would need new tyres in a few thousand miles. That time is soon approaching so my question is this - is there a big/any difference between the Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin N rated tyres?

The difference in price is not big enough to make it important, so which brand should I go with?

Any thoughts much appreciated, as well as a recommended seller in the Manchester/North West area.

Assuming you are on 18" wheels - then I wouldn't go for the P-zeros personnaly.

My first choice would be the Michelins PS2s, followed by the Bridgestones. You will get more miles out of the Michelins though and they are great in the wet.

Hi Aled and welcome to the forum.

My old 996 Targa used to eat Pirelli's like they were going out of fashion, 4-5k per set of rears. However I stuck with them because they were pretty good all round tyres. I am now using Pilot Sports 2's on my current car and think very highly of them. As long as the tyres are the same make and are N rated then it will come down to personal preference. try something different this time and if you are not happy with it try another make in a few thousand miles.

BTW Don't suppose your Targa is Meridian is it? :D

Never thought of that Dave - do you not know who your last car went to?

I need 2 rear tyres and currently have P-Zeros all round. I only had the front two replaced last summer and have they are fine, can I get a differnt tyre for the 2 rear wheeks or all do they have to be the same tyre all round?
I would like to try out the Michelins but don't know if I can justify getting rid of the front tyres for no reason.

Any advice gratefully received

Matt

Dave said:
Hi Aled and welcome to the forum.

My old 996 Targa used to eat Pirelli's like they were going out of fashion, 4-5k per set of rears. However I stuck with them because they were pretty good all round tyres. I am now using Pilot Sports 2's on my current car and think very highly of them. As long as the tyres are the same make and are N rated then it will come down to personal preference. try something different this time and if you are not happy with it try another make in a few thousand miles.

BTW Don't suppose your Targa is Meridian is it? :D

No, it's black on black. Had it since February and wished I sold a kidney to be able to afford one sooner!

Thanks for the advice on the tyres. I think I read something similar somewhere about the Pirellis wearing out quicker than other brands, so may stear clear of them.

Bud Fox said:
I need 2 rear tyres and currently have P-Zeros all round. I only had the front two replaced last summer and have they are fine, can I get a differnt tyre for the 2 rear wheeks or all do they have to be the same tyre all round?
I would like to try out the Michelins but don't know if I can justify getting rid of the front tyres for no reason.

Any advice gratefully received

Matt
During researching mine I've been told by a couple of people that you shouldn't mix and match.

Matt[/quote]
During researching mine I've been told by a couple of people that you shouldn't mix and match.[/quote]

D'oh

I now have brand new Michelins on the back and Contis on the front!!

Again as said should I reallllllly buy Michelins for the front? The car seems to drive ok!!

(barring being hit by another car!! .. another thread... can't blame tyres for that though!)

David Eclipse Tyres in Alcester are a good place close to us. Get Michelins on the front by Autumn, not a good idea to mix when the grip is low.

Very True Chris but Eclipse recently changed hands and I would guess they are the second cheapest in the country now!... well almost! lol

KD Tryres in Bidford beat them!

Ahhhh well best start saving for winter!! At least the central heating might be turned off soon! That should save a few pennies!

Cheers for the tip - will try them next. Will need some new rears soon. Eclipse do have the full laser alignment if you ever need it - by the way.

Righto can someone tell me why the difference in front/rear is important??

ohhhh just remebered!! :oops: Should I be reallllllly embarrased as I didn't even know front and rear were different profiles!??!

After getting my recent bump fixed!! sniff sniff oh by the way I decided to go for someone I know and have a lot of faith in .. Autoperfection ..

I think I'll get the car tracked and balanced all round! Do I need to I ask myself .. well you lot! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back