Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Heat from under dashboard

johno

I've just bought my first Porsche, a 964 cabriolet. So far it's proving to be everything I imagined a Porsche to be (and more!). My day car is a hearse (Passat estate), so driving a Porsche for the first time has really rekindled my interest in driving! My wife says I can't wipe the stupid grin off my face.

I have a technical question, that I hope somebody can answer. After the car has been running for a while (10-15min), I can feel quite a bit of heat coming from under the dashboard on the drivers side. Further exploration revealed the source to be a silver box with 2 electrical connectors (see attached image).

Does anybody know what this box is, and is this normal or cause for concern?

silverbox0001kd5.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Afraid I cannot tell you if it's a cause for concern off hand. Next time I'm out and about I'll see what's going on with mine. Have to say that I've not noticed anything.

According to the parts catalog:
https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/html/en/catalogue_content.htm
964 641 330 00 is a central indicator unit.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for that link - that will prove useful in the future!

After taking it for a spin this afternoon, I'm having second thoughts about the source of the heat. When I started to feel the heat this time I put my hand under the dash and touched the indicator control box and it was still cool. Yet there was significant warmth pouring out over my legs.

I wonder if this is not due to a dodgy servo motor on the heating system. I remember seeing an article on this somewhere - trouble is I can't remember where....

I think I've got other problems though - the missus drove the car for the first time today (and likes it far too much!)

johno said:
I think I've got other problems though - the missus drove the car for the first time today (and likes it far too much!)

provided she doesn't over rev it,kerb the wheels or crash it............. that could be a good thing.........especially if/when it needs work :wink:

You could download a parts list from the net and check it against the number on the box in your picture. It may be the control box for the rear spoiler which is in the passenger footwell on a LHD car, so may be on the drivers side in a RHD one. Unfortunately, I don't know what they look like.

Thanks for all the help - I really appreciate it

I'm going to pull the cover off the heater system servo motors tomorrow & see if they all work when you fiddle with the heating control knobs.

Found this interesting technical article on problems with the heating system at http://porsche964.co.uk (this is not the full URL, but for some reason it is not showing it - it's under technical/electrical - right at the bottom.)

Thanks for all the help! Those Rennlist threads & pics were quite useful.

I pulled back the carpet in the footwell and the air pipe was seriously split/torn etc. So much heat was coming out of it that it has melted the cover of the alarm/immobiliser box (which has been hidden) up there.

Can anyone recommend any parts suppliers in the UK?

johno said:
Thanks for all the help! Those Rennlist threads & pics were quite useful.

I pulled back the carpet in the footwell and the air pipe was seriously split/torn etc. So much heat was coming out of it that it has melted the cover of the alarm/immobiliser box (which has been hidden) up there.

Can anyone recommend any parts suppliers in the UK?

Non Porsche dealers are good supplying stuff for brakes and the like but you'll probably only get parts like those hoses by ordering them from an OPC.

Problem solved

I bought 2 of these pipes from 911design.com. I've fitted one (it took a bit of pushing and shoving but I got there in the end) and it's solved the problem.

No more getting roasted!

Thanks for all the help and advice :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back